Resolved Crucial M4 256 GB, $179.99

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dlimes13, May 4, 2012.

1. dlimes13, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

Here is to hoping that we can shove these lovely drives into the upcoming Pros.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

And here I thought I got a great deal when I paid $250 for mine on Monday.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I just did the same thing, except I ordered mine on Tuesday. It's being delivered today. I suppose I could return it and re-order at the lower price, but I really wanted to install it over the weekend...

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Don't sweat it. I paid $700 for a 512gb about 10 months ago and it's dropped about $100 since.

I hope SSD prices will continue to be slashed into oblivion. If not for me, the next guy. Platter drives need to die.

7. bozz2006, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

You got it. It's not like we didn't know it was coming. Hopefully in a year or so, I can get a 512GB for what I paid for the 256. 10 months ago I spent $289 on a 120GB drive, $40 more than I paid for the 256GB M4. Keep dropping those prices!!

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you can currently get apple to put an SSD in your MBP or do it yourself, I guess Im missing your sarcasim

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think he is hoping they still fit after the supposed redesign that is coming.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The install is so incredibly easy (installing an SSD in a MacBook Pro), that it really doesn't make any sense to buy it pre-configured with an Apple-installed SSD, given the super-exorbitant fees they charge. Their prices are WAY out of line. You would be best shopping around, buying your own SSD, and doing it yourself.

EASY step-by-step videos can be found at macsales.com on their installation videos page...it really just involves unscrewing the bottom panel, taking out a small plastic retainer, and unplugging the old drive, then plugging in the new one, and putting everything back together. Can be done in less than 10 minutes.

Apple wants to charge you $500 for their 256GB drive offerings and over $1000 for their 512GB drive, which is ridiculous. These are also Toshiba drives and non-sandforce drives with outdated controllers. Any of the modern drives offered by OWC, Samsung, Intel, OCZ, etc, are better drives than the ones Apple offers, and can usually be found for about half the price for the same-sized drives.

I hope Apple gets some sense and starts pricing their SSD drives more in line with market norms in the future, but I doubt they will. They only price them high because they can, and because the ignorant masses might not know better and will buy them.

11. CarcinogenX macrumors member

I couldn't sleep last night and saw this deal on Newegg and Amazon at 2am but I thought I might have been dreaming so I did not post it up. Good to see it is a reality :)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not always. For an extra $100 on some MBP models you can upgrade to a 128GB SSD. That's not a bad price and you get a full, factory warranty.

I agree the Apple prices are steep on the larger capacity drives. Not everybody is comfortable tearing apart their new $1,500 computer to install a new drive though.

13. magbarn macrumors 68000

Easy on the MBP, but I've seen the ifixit tutorials and I'm not ready to tear apart my 27 iMac just yet lol. How are these drives on the Early 2011 MBP's though? I've read of a failed logic board from a M4 drive and failed drives also that worked fine in a pc, but not a MBP at SATA 3 speeds.

14. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I am very comfortable doing installs on the MacBook Pros, and the Mac Pro (tower) -- the iMac is a TOTALLY different beast entirely...for that, I hired OWC and sent my iMac in to them to have the drive professionally installed. I was not going to risk breaking my iMac with that complicated, involved, lengthy procedure.

For a MacBook Pro, I think 128GB is too small of a drive. Maybe for an 11" Air, but for a MacBook Pro I like to have at least a 256GB drive (the default Apple hard drive size is 500GB)....and Apple's prices for a 256GB drive send a top-end 15" or 17" MacBook Pro over $3,000 -- I could get the deal done $300 - $400 cheaper if I got the drive and installed myself...easy and no hassle.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree. I swapped in a SSD on my Macbook and it was easy, but from the interactions I have read there is no way I would tear apart a iMac to install a SSD. To many things to break. :eek:

I have an early 2011 MBP with a Samsung 470 SSD and it works perfectly. There are many reports on here from M4 users with successful installs. I think you will be fine.

When the early 2011 MBP first came out there were problems with almost all brands of SSDs, particularly SATA III models. Apple came out with an EFI (firmware) update that seemed to fix those problems for most users.

----------

Fair enough. Everybody's needs are different. I use my 2011 MBP with a 128GB SSD as my only computer (with a Thunderbolt display when home) and still have 69GB of free space. This is with 1GB of documents, 1200 AAC music files, and 5,900 photos. Works for me. :)

16. magbarn macrumors 68000

Oh yeah found that out after having my mbp for a month. Went with an Intel SSD and a WD 750gb 7200rpm combo as I don't use the dvd drive at all. I'm debating between the M4 vs the samsung 830. The 830 is >$100 more so I'm having hard time justifying the samsung despite it's better rep for reliability.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just based on user reports here, the M4 seems very reliable also. Add to that the fact you can update the M4 firmware on your Mac with a boot ISO they provide, this tilts the decision in favor of the M4 IMO. I don't see anything about the 830 that justifies an extra $100.

If I were buying a SSD today, it would be the M4.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Glad to hear your favorable opinion of the M4. I'll be installing mine either tonight or tomorrow. I'm still mixed on whether or not to enable TRIM, but from what I've read on the SSD thread I guess I'll enable it to start with and then turn it off later if there's any issues. I watched an installation video yesterday and it seems pretty straightforward...

Just an FYI, if anyone else recently purchased the M4 from Amazon, you might be able to get them to do a price adjustment. Their policy is that they don't do it, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I sent them a nice email and explained that I just purchased it on Tuesday, it hasn't even been delivered yet and now the price is $49 cheaper. They responded quickly and said they'll refund the $49 difference. :D

19. enklined macrumors 6502

Theres a price war going on right now, and the M4 drops in price everyday. I'm sure it'll continue, but I couldn't wait any longer. Pulled the trigger on this deal.

Also picked up a caddy for the HDD (removing the optical drive) - $10. http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...H2US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336154496&sr=8-1

Additionally picked up a USB enclosure for the optical drive so I can use it when needed (rarely): http://www.amazon.com/USB2-0-External-Enclosure-Connetor-Notebook/dp/B002IRY3ME/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_b

Reviews on the caddy are fantastic. Love the price tag as well - much cheaper than the $99 Optibay.

20. magbarn macrumors 68000

Just turn on trim. Your SSD will like you better for it :D
    Been running trim enabler since it first came out on a 2010 MBP. No problems since and on 2 different laptops, 2 mac mini's, and 2 hackintoshes with 8 different SSD's lol.

21. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I asked Newegg to refund the difference for me, and they did.

22. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Paid $579 last week.

23. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Aaargh, this is SO tempting but I just don't have a need for it. Must fight my urges lol. Already have 2 240GB SSD drives, one internal on the iMac and one on the Thunderbolt connector. I just checked, I have another thunderbolt connector on the back of my iMac, hmmm..... :p

24. CarcinogenX, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

CarcinogenX macrumors member

Think I just bought the last one from Newegg. I placed my order and right after the order went through it shows SOLD OUT. Amazon has plenty but it says it will take a couple weeks for it to arrive. I live about 15 miles from Newegg so most of the time I can order as late as 4pm, pay for normal shipping and still get my item the next day. I have to pay tax with Newegg, but its worth it.

EDIT: It seems to be back in stock again ??

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

These get down to $100 on average and it will be the death knell for rotaries