Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The more people who buy a product doesn't influence the price directly. The higher the aggregate demand of a good, the more influence they have on making the sellers provide that good at a lower aggregate supply. (i.e. more products at each price level, this in turn lowers the equilibrium price of the good. Therefore causing the price to "become cheaper" which allows more people to buy it.

Sometimes this is at no cost to the supplier because the demand curve is more elastic then the price of the inputs, which means they can sell more at a lower price and still make more revenue. Sometimes the supplier needs another incentive to make this a positive experience for themselves, whether through a technological innovation, or government subsidy, or lowering of the quality of the good.

In this case, because more people want the good, and because the demand curve is more elastic then the price of the inputs of the good, all Crucial has to do is ramp up production by adding more workers/ more factories, and because quantity sold increases faster then the price decrease, their total revenue is larger.

Yes: This is off topic slightly...

Who said I would disagree with this? :cool:

But the basics is that the more people buy these, the better. Also competition comes into play and Crucial (and the other manufacturers) are trying to remove each other from the equation. It's a fresh market.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Who said I would disagree with this? :cool:

But the basics is that the more people buy these, the better. Also competition comes into play and Crucial (and the other manufacturers) are trying to remove each other from the equation. It's a fresh market.

Didn't say you did, but what you originally said was slightly incorrect and you said you wanted me to explain further. Glad we're on the same page. :p

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Didn't say you did, but what you originally said was slightly incorrect and you said you wanted me to explain further. Glad we're on the same page. :p

Well you wanted to get into semantics, when in fact what I initially posted was correct, although without details. :cool:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
No, that if the MBP slims down and loses the ODD, then we won't be able to replace anything ourselves. What we see is what we get. No upgrades. This proposed redesign would be very detrimental to the MacBook Pro line.

Nope. Nothing to back it up but I can say with confidence this won't happen with the MBP line. The ODD may go but it wouldn't make sense for Apple to "seal" them up like the Air otherwise, they would just be faster Airs. Indeed... keeping the MBP's upgradeable is what puts them in a class all by themselves right now.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Nope. Nothing to back it up but I can say with confidence this won't happen with the MBP line. The ODD may go but it wouldn't make sense for Apple to "seal" them up like the Air otherwise, they would just be faster Airs. Indeed... keeping the MBP's upgradeable is what puts them in a class all by themselves right now.

Nothing to back it up? You're joking, right?
The current hard drive posts are made from shock absorbing plastic and rubber braces larger than the drive itself. Thinning the laptop down any further risks structural damage to the hard drive through a more direct transfer of the impact to the drive.

On a side note, how does the 7mm version of the m4 compare to the 9.5mm version?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Nothing to back it up? You're joking, right?
The current hard drive posts are made from shock absorbing plastic and rubber braces larger than the drive itself. Thinning the laptop down any further risks structural damage to the hard drive through a more direct transfer of the impact to the drive.
Dude, I have no idea what you're ranting on about or why...

I was replying to somebody who feared the new MBP lineup that would be "closed" to upgrades.

jdwagner888

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
ahhhh! I missed the other days 199$ 256 ssd, then went with a 240$ 256gb sale instead. I should have waited for this one!

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
Will wait for the 512Gb drives to become more affordable, it's finally getting somewhere it seems. :)

Yup, me too.

Every time I see a new thread about this I smile because I know the 512 is going to drop soon too :D Although I guess I really could get a 256 since I'm only using 200GB on my laptop now...

hotgrease

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
The more people who buy a product doesn't influence the price directly. The higher the aggregate demand of a good, the more influence they have on making the sellers provide that good at a lower aggregate supply. (i.e. more products at each price level, this in turn lowers the equilibrium price of the good. Therefore causing the price to "become cheaper" which allows more people to buy it.

Sometimes this is at no cost to the supplier because the demand curve is more elastic then the price of the inputs, which means they can sell more at a lower price and still make more revenue. Sometimes the supplier needs another incentive to make this a positive experience for themselves, whether through a technological innovation, or government subsidy, or lowering of the quality of the good.

In this case, because more people want the good, and because the demand curve is more elastic then the price of the inputs of the good, all Crucial has to do is ramp up production by adding more workers/ more factories, and because quantity sold increases faster then the price decrease, their total revenue is larger.

Yes: This is off topic slightly...

*than

CarcinogenX

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Orange County, CA
Got mine in the mail and installed it earlier today. It's just like everyone says.....FAST!!
Went from a one minute boot to desktop plus 30-45 seconds before it was really usable to under 20 seconds before the desktop is loaded and usable. Think I will spend tonight just rebooting in awe :)

I was kind of pissed that Newegg sent my drive in an envelope with like 1/8" of padding in it so of course the Crucial box was completely crushed by UPS. Going to send them an email about that.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Did anyone end up buying theirs from Circuit City through Amazon?

It's been two business days and mine still hasn't shipped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.