Crucial M4 revive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blue604, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Blue604 macrumors regular

I have Macbook pro 13" 2009 and running OSX 10.8.2. M4 firmware is 010G

I just bought a new M4 512GB yesterday. I format the drive with Disk utility, install mountain lion, migrating from time machine. And everything seems to work fine. Then I closed the lid and MBP went to sleep. When I opened the MBP, it shows beachball and freezed. When I reboot, it just stays at grey screen as it can't find the drive. Even when I put the M4 in usb external enclosure and it doesnt read. This is within 1 day of owning this drive.

Then I read from here:
    http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

So I let it stay powered inside usb drive enclosure for 20min, and it's back to normal again.

Does anyone have the same problems with M4? I can't believe I have to revive the drive like this. And from reading Crucial's website, seems like it's quite common. People are saying I should disable sleep mode, but really????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I did multiple times. Extremely annoying because I had to open the MBP take it out and plug it into my PC from which I also had to remove 4 screws to get access. Only the PC managed to revive it.
    After three of these incidents I removed it and put a Samsung 830 in. I didn't do an RMA yet the M4 sits now in the PC where it never caused any troubles than again the PC doesn't run nearly as much and long.
    The Samsung had similar temporary freezes (which might be a GPU issue) but never anything similar to the M4 which froze completely or just didn't boot.

The weird thing is that I have a HDD with a bootable partition but I cannot put that one either unless I remove the SSD.

I had FW 309 and 010G on it (skipped 00F). Doesn't change a thing.
    I don't recommend the M4 to anybody. When I started having troubles I searched the web and there was so many issues, I still don't understand how the M4 ever got good recommendations. The issue usually only occurs after long uptimes so most people might not experience it. I wouldn't want an SSD that forces me to reboot frequently.

//2010 MBP 15"

3. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

A colleague of mine that has a Dell XPS Notebook is suddenly getting this. I took the M4 out the first time and did the 20min rest using just an external sata power cord.

The 2nd time I just went to the BIOS and let it sit for 20min and it worked great.

He has had this drive for well over six months so I'm surprised it is doing this now.

He has the latest Firmware but the Crucial support person told me to look for an updated Firmware revision soon.

-P

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never had a problem with my 256GB M4. It seems a lot of people reporting this issue are using 512GB drives. Just thought that was interesting.

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Mine was a 256GB drive and I used it for many months. Didn't happen at the beginning but at the end ever more frequent.
    I think the problem occurs if the notebook had a long up time.

BTW this first happend on the 309 FW but didn't stop after flashing to 010G. It is nothing new and nothing they ever fixed and that drive is one of the oldest 6G drives out there. Not like there hasn't been a chance to fix it.

7. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

I am very disappointed this happens within 24hr of using it. I am considering just return the drive.

What's the best way to erase the drive securely?

8. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the latest firmware but it still has this problem.

9. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

You can do it in disk utility.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oh, frak me, this is not encouraging. C'mon, update.... (knocks on wood)

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have the 512MB M4 with 000F.

My Early 2009 17" has been up nearly 24/7 since I installed it mid-October, so I haven't done many sleep cycles.

I just tried one, and it works fine on wake.

Perhaps as a side note, I do have Energy Saver "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" disabled.

12. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

Just wonder why your disabled Put hard disks to sleep when possible"?

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because SSDs don't need to spin down and sleep the same way HDDs do.

14. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I have both ssd + hdd setup, should i disabled "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" too?

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I wouldn't think so because then your HDD would just spin all the time and kill your batteries.

16. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've been using a 512 gig M4 for nearly a year and it simply rocks.

Firmware update, perhaps?

17. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

I just bought it two days ago, and it was shipped with newest firmware.

Do you put the M4 in optical drive or original drive space?

18. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I replaced the HDD with the M4. Even though you just purchased the part, check for a firmware update.

19. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

010G is the newest. It came with my M4

from what I read, there seems to be a few possibilities for this problem
    - putting M4 in optical drive
    - "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" option

20. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Roger that. Here's hoping you figure out the issue.

21. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you put the M4 in Optical Drive? (you mentioned you have HDD too). I have the M4 in optical drive and WD HDD in original drive space. I just did some research, and some people suspect it's the optical drive sata connector doesn't receive full power once it wakes from sleep. Another thing ppl said is to disable the "put hard drives to sleep when possible" under energy saver.

22. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes it is in the optical drive.
    It is also as mentioned a 2010 MBP so it only runs in SATA 2 mode. Maybe only SATA 2 causes it.
    I also have disksleep enabled. I prefer the nice and quite of the SSD and my HDD is off most of the time. I got my Samsung for only a short time and it already has the uptime of the HDD.

Maybe try and switch them. Report if it helps. For me though it worked weeks and I sleep my notebook mulitple times a day but it usually runs at least half the day or the whole time. It is a very occasional bug. I never tried putting it into the main bay for a longer period of time.

I kind of doubt it helps because most of the reports I found on the web where from guys using Windows PCs. These shouldn't have any SATA problems.

23. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

Just had the 2nd crash. it's twice within 2 days of owning it. I am definitely going to return this. I played around with putting in optical drive and main drive space. Both time it fails are when I put M4 in optical drive and enable putting drive to sleep when possible. However, I didn't have crash, when I put m4 in main drive space and enable putting drive to sleep when possible

Perhaps it's the optical drive space (2009 Macbook pro 13") and m4 dont go well together?

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's a possibility. I've never tried my M4 in the optical drive slot of my mid 2009.

25. Blue604 thread starter macrumors regular

After reading lots of user reviews on amazon, neweggs and other sites, I realize the problem is Macbook Pro 13" 2009 the optical drive doesn't do well with SATAIII SSD. Only the old SATAII SSD would work. So if you get sataIII, should put it in main HD bay.