Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
That must have been scary.

"Attention all passengers, this is your captain speaking, unfortunately we are being attacked by somalian pirates, they are shooting rockets and guns at our ship, but do no worry, everything is under control"

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Without reading the article, I'm just gonna guess what this story is about (because that's more fun). ;)

Did the staff and crew on board the cruise ship stop a group of Somalian passengers from downloading mp3s from a p2p network?

*reads article*

Oh, these are ACTUAL pirates, not just the crappy name given to people who download music illegally. Okay.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
EJBasile said:
"Attention all passengers, this is your captain speaking, unfortunately we are being attacked by somalian pirates, they are shooting rockets and guns at our ship, but do no worry, everything is under control"

"And, finally, the people at Seabourn Cruises will be giving some consideration to offering a 10 percent rebate on the price all customers paid for this trip. We hope that each of you will be joining us again on further action-packed adventures."

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
EJBasile said:
That must have been scary.

Attention on Deck.

Attention on Deck.

The forward machine gun is now available for use. Passengers who are interested in trying out their marksmanship please report to the purser on the Promenade deck.

Additionally, we have LAW and other short range munitions available on the Flying Bridge. Passengers who are interested in trying to vaporize a real authentic pirate, please report to the purser on the Promenade deck.

That is all.

Sushi

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
I wonder what other kinds of anti-pirate stuff they got on those ships... I mean, the loud noise thing is pretty lame... they should have like a vat of giant squids to release off the bow or something.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I wonder if they looked like this

2016.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Or just change their name to "Action Cruise Line" and make it an interactive cruise where everyone has to "man their station." ;)

Quite honestly, I think that is a great business idea, although the pirates would be actors and the whole thing would be semi-fake, of course. By "semi-fake," I mean they would still hit you semi-hard, but not in the face or the sack. They also wouldn't shoot you for real, but if you do fight them back with force, they totally have permission to eat their can of spinach and pound you. :cool:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
jeffy.dee-lux said:
I mean, the loud noise thing is pretty lame... they should have like a vat of giant squids to release off the bow or something.
I was thinking they could store all the ship sewage in high pressure tanks. So when pirates do come close to boarding, the cruise liner could spray them with the nasty stuff using high-powered nozzles.

/Bowels away!

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
jeffy.dee-lux said:
I wonder what other kinds of anti-pirate stuff they got on those ships... I mean, the loud noise thing is pretty lame... they should have like a vat of giant squids to release off the bow or something.

I like the squids. :D

Some ships have 9,000-volt electrified fences, but many do not. Some use fire hoses to blast pirates. Unfortunately, it's probably cheaper to have an occasional load of cargo jacked, than it is to outfit a fleet of ships with anti-piracy equipment.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
i definitely like the sewage idea... that'd be narsty, no way i'd pirate a cruise ship if i thought there was a chance i could get sludged. Not so great for the environment, but i bet once it got used like 2 or 3 times, the word would get out and pretty much end the era of pirates, leaving ninja's free to do their ninja-ing wherever they please.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Abstract said:
Or just change their name to "Action Cruise Line" and make it an interactive cruise where everyone has to "man their station." ;)

Quite honestly, I think that is a great business idea, although the pirates would be actors and the whole thing would be semi-fake, of course. By "semi-fake," I mean they would still hit you semi-hard, but not in the face or the sack. They also wouldn't shoot you for real, but if you do fight them back with force, they totally have permission to eat their can of spinach and pound you. :cool:
one word: paintball :cool:

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
latest news is that they could have been terrorists, not pirates at all. :eek:

and an un-exploded grenade is still in the ship.

well all the best with that boys!

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
sushi said:
Attention on Deck.

Attention on Deck.

The forward machine gun is now available for use. Passengers who are interested in trying out their marksmanship please report to the purser on the Promenade deck.

Additionally, we have LAW and other short range munitions available on the Flying Bridge. Passengers who are interested in trying to vaporize a real authentic pirate, please report to the purser on the Promenade deck.

That is all.

Sushi
Yo suhi, Is your avitar a playmate from the early 80's? if not she looks alot like one I remember from my pubescent years:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.