Crushed iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DJUK, Aug 21, 2010.

1. DJUK macrumors member

DJUK

Anything can happen right? Unfortunately my iPhone did! Last night I was on an LIRR platform at Penn Station waiting for my train to arrive (when aren't they late!) and decided to check the time on my phone. Maybe I should have backed away from the edge first!

I took my iPhone from my jean pocket and it slipped out my hand onto the tracks. Here is where it gets strange, AND WORSE! And i'm serious when I tell you that this is no lie........ the phone somehow balanced it's way onto one of the rails, the train came and went over it. I didn't hear any glass break or any type of crushing sounds, so I decided to miss the train and see what's left. The train left...................... AND THE PHONE BROKE INTO 3 PARTS!!! :(

My question is for anyone who can help, how much does it cost to replace an iPhone 4? Thank you to any replies in advance!

2. dark55 macrumors member

Sorry for your misfortune. If I'm not mistaken, you can take it into the Apple Store and have it replaced for $200. I would like to see some pics as well if you don't mind :)

3. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

I think that price might only be if there's enough phone left to be refurbished.

Worth a try though.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Whoa :eek:

Might have to be extra careful myself when waiting on the platforms at Penn Station now. Can't believe it actually balanced itself on the rail though. That part I'm still trying to figure out.

6. DJUK thread starter macrumors member

DJUK

explain to me how that would have been possible? haha :D

Thank you, even though it was a phone! haha :D

I know right? lol

But no seriously, The 4 was the only camera-enabled electronic that I had carried around with me, plus i didn't want to risk my life jumping onto the track picking up the parts left

7. dark55 macrumors member

Haha yeah. Apple would definitely lose money on the deal, but you never know :D

8. mikemanblah macrumors regular

9. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Did other people see this happen? What was their reactions?

10. DJUK thread starter macrumors member

DJUK

Seriously?

1) this was like 20 hours ago, so it's probably somewhere in Jersey or under the East River by now!

2) I did not have any other camera on me

It was like 1:30 this morning and there was like 6 other people on the platform with me, but I don't think they were paying attention because they looked kinda drunk! haha

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Can we see pics? Just for fun? :D

I'm so sorry about your phone. :(

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I'm afraid it will cost you $599 or $699 depending on the version you want to replace it with. Apple does have this thing where you give them $199 + your damaged phone and they give you back a working phone. But as I said that requires you to give them the damaged phone, I'm not sure they would have honored that for you even if you had jumped down and picked the
    Pieces. I guess this is a life lesson. I bet you have learned not to stand to close to the edge of the platform (a valuable lesson if you ask me):eek:

14. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

He doesn't have any pics, he said it like a trillion times

15. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

Take it to the Apple Store and see if you get a nice Genius that can replace it for the $200. Otherwise it'll probably be ruled catastrophic damage and you'll have to purchase a new iPhone at retail price aka $599 or $699.

16. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Actually not $200 replacement tag would cover their manufacturing cost, R&D would be a different story since the phone is already sold before to him and is already out. So yea they wouldn't lose anything giving him a replacement for $200 dollars.

Thanks
    AE

17. DJUK thread starter macrumors member

DJUK

it was a 16GB, so guess it's $599 for me! Thank you guys for your help :eek:

18. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I lol'd at how many times people asked for pictures after the OP said there are none 900 times.

19. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Pics or it didn't happen.

Nah I'm jk, I actually took the time to read all the post you made unlike others.

But that really sucks man. I would have been heart broken and teary eyed. It would have been a lot better if you could have gotten it replaced for $200

20. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Sorry to hear about that, that sucks... at least you have a cool story.

Surely you don't expect people to actually read a thread before replying do you? ;)

21. BigRedOne macrumors regular

That does really suck, but maybe they will give you some points for the most "unique totally destroyed iPhone story". Bummer about your phone, but the story will be a good conversation tidbit for a long time.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I believe it has to be in one piece in order to qualify for the $199 replacement, but they can probably make an exception once they hear your story.

23. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Dude, how would your phone stay with the train if it was on the rail??? And if you missed your train to see what was left, surely you would pic up your phone. Sorry, but I'm calling BS.

24. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

But won't you get shocked if you touch a train track?