Crysis On New Mac Pro With 8800!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I am still awaiting my mac pro to arrive with the 8800GT. I can't wait to play Crysis on it. To all people who received the 8800GT Mac Pro, can you please post results of gameplay and specs you were palying at OR POST A VIDEO OF THE GAMEPLAy on the Mac Pro with 8800. Please post a video using fraps. CRYSIS RULES!!!! :):apple::)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You could just look at every 8800GT Crysis benchmark and review that's online. I have a feeling you'll find quite a few.

3. Brianna macrumors regular

There could be jump in speed in windows using the Mac because of FB-DIMMS. Crysis was developed with multiple processors in mind and because the Mac Pro uses FB-DIMMs the game will be able to reach in and use all 8 cores on a Mac when otherwise that wouldn't normally happen. Although being that FB-DIMMS is slower than high performance unbuffered memory of the same size, the game could still be slower. It will be neat to see the outcome. Maybe because of Skulltrail we might se someone develop some higher performance FB-DIMM's in the future. I'd like to hope so. :)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Every benchmark I've seen using FB-DIMM has shown poorer performance when compared to standard DDR2 RAM.

I haven't seen any scaling beyond 2.2-2.4 GHz on a Core 2 Duo. After that the game is GPU dependent. There isn't a quad core benefit, yet.

Skulltrail is stillborn with no AMD competition in even the single quad core processor market.

5. Brianna macrumors regular

That's because you cant use all 8 cores without FB-DIMMS. None has FB-DIMMS in a Machine of that caliber other than Apple.
    HardOCP tested a skulltrail (which uses FB-DIMMS) with Crysis and it did use all 8 processor cores.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

FB-DIMM just means that it's buffered ram. I don't see what being FB-DIMM has to do with using all 8 cores. It's benefits are for reliabilty for server applications..its not really designed to be fast. I agree with the above guy..it should be a tad slower than DDR2.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2209093,00.asp

I'd be more concerned about the FSB instead of the RAM on a multicore and multisocket system.

8. stoppard macrumors member

I played the crysis demo on my mac pro with 8800 GT at 1024X768 and subjectively the gameplay was smooth with recommended settings (i think high on everything). I didn't look into things like framerates and what not. I just played and my experience was the levels loaded fast and the computer didn't get in the way of me virtually murdering lots and lots of enemy soldiers.

9. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

Cant wait to see the benchmarks

I hope it runs well

10. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

FB-DIMMS are more about making the mother board a little simpler and having to lay out less traceroutes on a professional duty machine like a server. As you add to the RAM capacity with regular RAM you need more and routes set up on the motherboard. With 2-4GB in a consumer machine this is of no concern but when you start going to 16-32-64 GB etc this becomes a major concern. The FB-DIMMS make the motherboard design much simpler but you do pay a price in latency which is why it takes a small hit compared to regular DDR stuff of equal speed. The Mac Pro uses Xeon's though which have bigger caches among other things so performance in something like games will prob still be the same or maybe even slightly better than using regular Core Duo 2 chips.

11. sdschwendener macrumors regular

64 bit vista home basic or business

As home basic only allows use of one cpu, how much of a hit would performance take in crysis running home basic 64 bit as opposed to business 64-bit which allows the os to use the 2nd xeon.

12. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

13. knome macrumors 6502

knome

1 cpu to 4 cpu's makes huge difference. That would make your cpu your bottle neck and probably cut your potential fps by 1/3 to 1/2. The 64-bit also helps a whole lot. I'm running 64-bit business currently.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes

15. exspes macrumors member

This is one of my first orders of business when my mac gets here. Of course, that might be a few days, and another day or so to get vista all prepped for it. So be patient, I'll test that, UT3, Gears, Bioshock, all that stuff.

16. XianPalin macrumors 6502

Every time I see new posts on this thread I come in here hoping someone actually did some Crysis playing and posted some results :( :p

17. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Results:

I can run Crysis on Vista Ultimate(64bit) with the latest nvidia drivers at 30fps in most(but not all areas) at:

1680x1050 resolution
    No AA
    Vsync enabled
    Every setting except Shadows and Shaders on Very high
    Shadows and Shaders on Medium

My Early 2008 Mac Pro is 4gb of Ram quad core(not 8 core).

I can tell you this too, using r_displayinfo = 1 to display the FPS as well as memory/CPU consumption:

The bottleneck is still the graphics card, not anything else in our system. I've got plenty of room CPU wise and the game itself only uses, at most 1.8gb of Ram. This is further evidenced by Shaders/Shadows/AA being the biggest hit while textures, physics, etc are like a blink of the eye to the mac pro.

18. davewolfs macrumors regular

Additional CORES won't do anything on this game now or EVER. A higher clocked single CPU will run this game faster then a slower clocked 8 core setup.

19. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Is there a timedemo file for Crysis similar to what's available for Quake 4 and Prey and Doom 3? We'd like to add it to our suite of 3D accelerated game benchmarks.

20. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

You will not be able to get even close to maxing the game. I have a "old" Mac Pro with 2gig ram and a overclocked 8800GTX (wich is alot better), and I run on 1600x1200, very high settings, 2 aa with bout 15 fps. No aa and 1680x1050 I get playable rate @ 35. With 8aa i get 5 fps. With 16aa i get 0,6 fps and game crasches. Remember that ppl with Four 8800Ultra in SLI are barely getting a nice framerate on maximum settings.

21. mikekim75 macrumors newbie

FB Dimms are slow?

I would really like to know where it says that FB Dimms are slow, ALL my searches say that FB Dimms are fast. In fact since they run series and not in parallel they are much faster than DDR 2, also FB Dimms are DDR2 with other stuff. I just want to understand a little better, I'm not arguing. Thanks

22. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I don't know what the answer is here, but in general terms wouldn't parallel be faster than series?

23. Brianna macrumors regular

Read the article, and also research the benefits of FB-DIMMs. FB-DIMMs are slower than high performance Non Buffered DIMMS, but they have multiprocessor advantages also. FB-DIMMS are not intended for gaming. Usually you''ll see about a 40% decrease in speed with FB-DIMMS vs. High performance non buffered DIMMS with the exact same spec. Although with Skulltrail that isn't always the case. I think it was Toms Hardware that did another review on it that went ballistic over the use of FB-DIMMs over non buffered memory.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1OCw1LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

24. knome macrumors 6502

knome

I wave the BS flag. This game has support for up to 4 cpu's. I know several people who went from a core 2 duo to the new quad cores and notices a huge increase in fps. 15-18 fps gain.

25. knome macrumors 6502

knome

The whole idea that its fully buffered and error correcting. So it has to check over everything before it can be used. Adding lag time.