CS3 Registration Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jkaz, May 1, 2007.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

My copy of CS3 arrived yesterday, the iMac I want to install it on won't be purchased until the next update.

I have installed it on my current iMac, but it says that after 30 days, if I don't register, I won't be able to use it.

So, if I register it, then purchase a new iMac (hopefully in June) does that mean I'm going to have to buy another copy of CS3?

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

You should be able to transfer the license from one computer to another.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Registration is not the same as Activation. Registration is optional, Activation is not.

2) You can unactivate the copy from any CS3 app. It will then stop working on that machine after 30 days. You can then activate on the new machine.

3) If you are keeping both machines you can activate on two machines at once.

4. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the response!

when i activate, do they give me something like a 2nd serial number to plug in?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope. The Activation system just stores the details somewhere...

6. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

update:

adobe is tracking actions on my computers. I installed on two computers while waiting for tiger to arrive to install on my main computer.

1st computer i did internet activate, 2nd computer i did a telephone activation.

tiger finally arrived, without thinking, i went to install cs3 onto my main(cs3 requires tiger) and i went to use the telephone code and no luck.

apparently, they tracked the telephone activated computer through the internet.

i'll gladly deactivate that 2nd computer, but what happens when i buy a computer in june?

is this less of a hassle than it seems to me right now? should i be concerned that adobe is snooping on my computer?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They are probably looking at the hardware configuration (s/n maybe?) and use it to generate the challenge code - so the response (from telephone activation) would change from computer to computer.

8. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

it may be nothing, but while working in dreamweaver just now, i had a thinking burp where i got the spinning beach ball and my internet hiccuped as illustrated by my internet radio stalling for a second.

is this maybe adobe draining my resources and snooping my comp again?

9. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

does this all mean i must have an internet connection to run cs3?

i feel so dumb

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

CS3 doesn't need to be connected to use it. Since the hardware it's running on has changed, it just means you probably have to do another telephone activation. I'm just making an educated guess, as I haven't tried multiple activations and don't know exactly how they tie the code(s) with the hardware.