Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhendr

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Finally Got the TWAIN to show-up!

What frustration! By reading all the suggestions here, and fiddling around for about 5 hours, I finally dragged the TWAIN.plugin I had downloaded several times both from that well-hidden "goodies" folder and through the link given by someone here--but that would not be recognized by CS4--into the Photoshop. Perhaps it will save someone else a few hours if I list the process I have reconstructed that finally got the Canon 8400F scanner recognized by Photoshop. A call to Applecare was of no help. These are the kinds of experiences I have had in the past month since I switched from Windows to Mac, really making me wonder about the wisdom of that switch.

This is what worked for me: Photoshop > Preferences > Plug-Ins >Additional Plug-Ins Folder > Choose. Then I dragged the icon for Twain.plugin from the desktop to the "shared folder" space. When I closed Photoshop CS4 and then started up again, lo and behold! there was the scanner, looking the way it has always done when connected to Photoshop CS2 in Windows.

dfiasco

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
re: Rosetta

is it safe to keep Photoshop running in Rosetta when I am using other features but not scanning, or should I only have this box checked when scanning?

thanks!

Manilalou

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle area
Thanks !

Thanks to agentphish for this. I've been tearing my hair out (what little is left) trying to figure out why CS4 competely ignored my Canon LIDE scanner. You've saved me a bunch of time - many thanks in order !

woil16

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Epic bit of info

Just in case somebody doesn't understand this: "If you would like to have TWAIN support on your Macintosh system, we strongly recommend that you access your device through Rosetta (PPC) OS."

Close Photoshop, find it in your applications folder and select and open 'Get Info' under File in the Finder. There is a check box for 'open using rosetta'.

I had installed twain, which didn't (and still doesn't) show up in Photoshop under 'File -> Import'. I had put the plugin for my Canon Euroscan N1220U in the Photoshop -> Plug-Ins -> Import-Export folder, but starting Photoshop normally gave an error for the plugin. Having checked the rosetta box it is now working fine.

Did this after trying to install an old CanoScan N650U and it worked like a charm. Went to the effort of registering for this forum just to say thanks a lot for posting this tip, was about to give up on it. Good one!

caocholta

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
I can't get it to work for me

Ok, so I totally stumbled upon this thread at the right time, and since it is a fairly recent thread I figured I would share my troubles.

I have an Epson V350 perfection scanner. I installed the epson scanning software and am less than impressed with the results. Since I have photoshop, iphoto, and adobe elements I thought I would try scanning into those programs before I go out and buy a new scanner. Well I downloaded the TWAIN plugin placed it into plug-ins/import-export folder and nothing, I tried to set the plugin to open with rosetta under the get info menu, but I just don't see rosetta anywhere. I'm not really sure what to do from here.

I am running Snow Leopard. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Logan

TeenyChili

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Nothing has worked!

I'm going to go mad!
I downloaded the TWAIN plug in and Photoshop CS4 did recognise my scanner however whenever I try to scan it shuts photoshop down and the scanner freezes.
I tried running Photoshop in Rosetta and it still did this!
I also tried scanning using Adobe Acrobat Pro and it also shut the program down. I have been able to scan on other machines before so it's not the scanner. I just am not sure what to do. I have literally tried all the advice on this thread. I'm wondering if I've missed something!

Can anybody help?

P.S my scanner is a Canon MP610

ShareSmiles

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Hi TeenyChili,

I was wondering if you got this problem of yours fixed, as I am having the same problem as you. With my MP610 and CS4. I have done all the things suggested above. Can you suggest the next move?

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Did all these steps and no go.

The plug in add on says my photoshop does not support these file types.

It's CS4 Extended if that matters

Any ideas how I can make this scanner scan without me trashing it buying a good one that will?

Bastich

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Try Image Capture.app. Still a workaround and not ideal... but cheaper than buying a new scanner.

+1.

I just rediscovered this thread while trying to get my trusty old Epson Perfection 3200 Photo going after an Intel hardware upgrade. I was dismayed to find that now that I can run CS4 natively, I can no longer scan! Sure enough, setting Photoshop to open using Rosetta makes the scanner magically reappear in the Import menu, although it doesn't actually work that way either.

Thanks Adobe, for making a professional image editing program that can't scan images.

B)

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I got so tired of using the plug ins and having issues, I finally got VueScan. It's easier to use and I get support. Not advertising, just a fact. Works great.

Agree fully. Vuescan is great with the added advantage that in the future, regardless what adobe break on updates, vuescan will continue to work perfectly

Hrh2002

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
What the! Nothing works!

Hi,

Everyone seems to be having success so what am I doing wrong?

I'm using a Mac Pro Quadcore with Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 and want to scan photos straight into Ps CS4 version 11.0.2 using a Canon Canoscan LIDE 100.

BUT when I go to Import there is no TWAIN option, there is only: Variable Data Sets (grayed out), Video Frames to Layers, Anti-Alised PICT, PICT Resources and Notes (grayed out).

I right click on Adobe Photoshop CS4 inside the Ps CS4 folder to bring up "Get Info" and click the check box that states "Open using Rosetta" BUT when I click open the Ps icon to open it Ps crashes straight away. I click "Reopen" and it crashes straight away. Un tick the Rosetta check box and Ps opens fine.

I assumed this was Apples problem because Rosettas their program but after walking it through the Apple care operator and following his instructions to download a PowerPC version of VLC (which started up fine without doing a thing)to see if Rosetta was automatically installed, I was told that it's an Adobe problem. Urrrggghhh

Then I downloaded the TWAIN plugin and followed the instructions and dropped it into the import-export folder and NOTHING!

The scanner works with Snow Leopards native Image Capture so it's not the scanner. Except that the scanner buttons dont seem to work when they used to on a MacBook. But here on the Mac Pro I cant find anything within the Ps menus that resembles "permission" to scan.

I need to do a lot of photo correction/remove blurred/restoration and read that it's better to scan the old photos straight into Ps to ensure no quality is lost during the scan. Regardless if this 100% true I still should be able to scan straight into Ps. I mean the CS4 package + Mac cost enough.

What is it that I'm doing wrong or missing here? Any help would be sooo appreciated!

mdferrin

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
OMG!!!SAy IT ISN't SO!!!!

[/COLOR]
Adobe recommends NOT using the Twain Plug-in with Photoshop CS4 running on an intel based Mac.

"When you use TWAIN to import from an imaging device, such as a scanner, you may encounter problems similar to the following:
Photoshop or your scanner application freezes or quits unexpectedly.
You are unable to close the scanner window.
You encounter errors during import.
The preview of the imported image, or the imported image itself, appears incorrect on screen. "

Jerry

If it works it WORKS! Period. These are very lame--if not idiotic-- reasons, Jerry. Seriously. What a whack job you did here. Can't close the scanner window? WTF!

Last edited:

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.