Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adobe CS5

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Adobe CS5 and Growl

Hi Everyone,
Adobe CS5 is installing the Growl Pref Pane when you install any CS5 Suite or Point Product. We added Growl notifications primarily to invite users to receive complimentary benefits for registering their product and remind users to update their Adobe.com profiles.

We realize that this is causing a lot of consternation with both CS5 and Growl users and are looking at ways of mitigating this issue. In the mean time, please follow this link to get more details about how to remove Growl or disable these notifications. Disabling or removing Growl has no impact on how CS5 applications work.

For enterprise IT administrators who do not wish to have Growl installed, we are making changes to the Enterprise Toolkit to disable Growl. The Enterprise Toolkit is being re-branded as the Adobe Application Manager Enterprise Edition (AAMEE) for CS5.

AAMEE will be available as a free download end of May. There is a check box to disable Registration in AAMEE. Disabling registration will prevent Growl from being installed.

Thanks,

Adobe CS team

bloodnok

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
I'm happy we're getting new Growl users, but not at the expense of alienating them.

exactly.

growl is a neat concept albeit one i wasn't interested in using. to find it running on my machine without any notification (ironic for a notification app, innit?) was annoying. however, the guilty have been noted & a nastygram will be aimed there rather than at the growl folks.

also, the preference pane makes it really easy to alter its behaviour so perhaps it can stay ...

windon

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
Adobe Makes Me "Growl"

I BOUGHT CS5 - installed it and found this piece of shareware loaded on my clean computer - complete with donate button in the about tab. I find this totally unacceptable and am thinking some action must be taken beyond "things sometimes slip". Did Adobe forget we purchase their software to do work. I am so angry about the loss of time and probable trouble - I must step away from the computer. Nothing against the growl software but come on adobe - ask me.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Ah, I was glad to see Adobe came in with that link which shows how to remove Growl from the machine. I just installed CS5 a couple weeks ago, and had no idea this was on my machine. It doesn't sound like a problematic app, but:
1) I hate auto-installed anything, especially when I don't know about it, and
2) if it only uses it once during install of CS5, then seemingly sits unused in my case, it's garbage.

I just happened to notice it in my System Preferences pane. I freaked a little, googled it, and then decided it wasn't for me. Thank you, Adobe CS5, for showing me how to get rid of it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.