Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Whenever I press Ctrl-Cmd-D for dictionary definitions while I hover, the right click menu just comes up. I know it works in Safari but I've haven't gotten it to work.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Does it show up as being mapped correctly and turned on in System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> Keyboard Shortcuts?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
it says cmd d but when i try that in safari it just bookmarks the pg.

You're sure it's not set to Command-Control-D?
Picture 2.png

You can either manually set it or click Restore Defaults if you're worried about other shortcuts being messed up and you haven't customized anything you want to keep that way.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
ok well i pressed restore defaults but it still shows the right click menu if i press the combo and then click on a word

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
You have to do the keys in the order of: Control + Command + D
Just to clairify

obesecat55

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2007
And you don't have to click. It should work when you simply hover the mouse over a word and press control + :apple: (Command) + D.

So far I've been testing this out- it only works in Safari, TextEdit, Dictionary App, Automator, iChat, and probably more, but the point is that supported apps are limited.

mpipolo

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
CTRL-CMD-D not working at all on Late 2007 MacBook

Hey, I found this thread by searching Google.

Trouble is, I use this Ctrl-Cmd-D feature ALL the time on my Macs, whether for Thesaurus or Dictionary. I have a 12" iBook with Tiger and an ('06) MacBook, and I just upgraded my iBook to a late 2007 model MB.

This dictionary panel has not worked at all on the new computer. It is set in the Keyboard Shortcuts preferences, but no go. I've even changed the key association, and it still doesn't work. Every other shortcut in the list works fine.

It's very strange, and it's the only misgiving I have had yet with this computer. Any ideas what the problem could be?

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I'm having this exact problem too on my new Santa Rosa macbook running 10.5.1. I'm running 10.5.1 on my iMac, and the feature works.

This is one of my favorite features, a "can't live without" feature, really. I'm addicted to it. Apple support discussions has no solution for it either.

chadvonnau

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is still coming up as the top Google result for "CTRL - CMD - D not working".

If you're having this issue, and nothing else works, try the instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1896

The article is posted as the solution to a different issue, but it also fixes the hotkey problem. Thanks to Jose Paulson on the Apple Discussion Boards for figuring this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.