Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan1000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
After reboot, all is fine. But after a while, CTRL-scroll to initiate a zoom doesn't work. Yes, I know there are settings in the universal access pref pane, but even without mucking with any of those, a reboot always restores the CTRL-scroll zoom behavior, and after a few hours it always stops working (i.e.: CTRL-scroll produces no effect whatsoever).

Anyone else notice this, and anyone else come up with a workaround?

Disclosure: I'm on a 2011 MBP with a 27" monitor attached, and I run total finder and default folder.

Dan

randnc

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
I'm having the same problem. For some reason CTRL and swiping a finger up or down the magic mouse to zoom stops working for me too. Don't know how to fix it. Double tap zoom continues to work, but I find that double tap zoom doesn't work everywhere. How can we notify Apple?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Same here... seems like an annoying bug! I think it might have something to do with trying to screen zoom while in full screen mode. Can someone get it to stop working right after they try to zoom in a full screen app?

jazzbeaunola

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
N'Awlins
Jumping on the CTRL-scroll bandwagon

Same problem...this is a feature that I use constantly for editing, and it makes me crazy when it doesn't work. Loving Lion, but really, really need CTRL-scroll to work reliably!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Mine stopped working and then out of nowhere it started working again.

Edit: I went into Time Machine last night and after I got out of it I noticed it wouldn't let me zoom. I don't know if it's a coincidence or if that's actually the problem

Last edited:

dmairq

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
It's a bug

This is a bug. ctrl - zoom was working fine before Lion. Now it randomly stops working, maybe after a sleep, still trying to figure out when it stops. A reboot fixes it for a while then it stops working not long after. I use it quite a bit and it's making me crazy. The control option pinch still zooms okay when ctrl-zoom fails but it doesn't scroll when you want to pan around the window. Early adopter blues - waiting for the first point release already... I'll never learn.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
On a clean install this zoom option is disabled by default. Perhaps turning it off and on a few times sets it right.

radu4iasi

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
same problem here :(

I am connected to a external monitor but I think it happened when not connected too

going crazy :(

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
When I first read this thread - control + scroll to zoom worked fine.

Now, 20 minutes later, it's busted and doesn't work.

Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

dmairq

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
A Viable Workaround To This Bug

On another forum someone suggested this happens if the screen saver is active when the computer goes to sleep. He suggested using a hot corner to activate the screen saver which will temporarily fix the zoom problem until it triggers again. I happened to have my screen saver on a hot corner already so I gave it a go and it worked like a champ. All I had to do was activate the screen saver for a second then popped back to the desktop and my zoom was back. This is an acceptable workaround for me until it's patched. I was starting to get frustrated with this seemingly random problem but knowing how it happens and how to work around it is half the battle. Hopefully this helps someone else.

bpetruzzo

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
On another forum someone suggested this happens if the screen saver is active when the computer goes to sleep. He suggested using a hot corner to activate the screen saver which will temporarily fix the zoom problem until it triggers again. I happened to have my screen saver on a hot corner already so I gave it a go and it worked like a champ. All I had to do was activate the screen saver for a second then popped back to the desktop and my zoom was back. This is an acceptable workaround for me until it's patched. I was starting to get frustrated with this seemingly random problem but knowing how it happens and how to work around it is half the battle. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Bizarre. This work around does the trick for me too. It's annoying, but at least its pretty clearly some kind of bug and I'm not the only one.

lolek

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Found this solution on different forum:
"You'll find it under "System Prefs / Universal Access / Seeing"
- Turn Zoom "on"
- Open the "Options" and activate the last check box ("Use scroll wheel with modifier keys to zoom")"

IT WORKS! :)

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Found this solution on different forum:
"You'll find it under "System Prefs / Universal Access / Seeing"
- Turn Zoom "on"
- Open the "Options" and activate the last check box ("Use scroll wheel with modifier keys to zoom")"

IT WORKS! :)

Please, read the thread next time. You look like an idiot now.

--

I have the same problem btw. Bug for sure. It goes away seemingly randomly and then returns without much fanfare.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I rarely use this feature but yesterday was one of those rare occasions and I could not figure out why it wash't working! Glad to see it's not because of something wrong on my computer :p

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
This annoyed me enough that I booted into the recovery partition (holding down cmd-r at startup) and fixed file permissions with Disk Utility; LOTS of permission errors on my unclean-install of Lion. It's been a day now, and the zooming is working consistently for me.
Perhaps it will continue to do so.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
This annoyed me enough that I booted into the recovery partition (holding down cmd-r at startup) and fixed file permissions with Disk Utility; LOTS of permission errors on my unclean-install of Lion. It's been a day now, and the zooming is working consistently for me.
Perhaps it will continue to do so.

It wont-- this has nothing to do with permissions. Even if that is often seen as the magical fix for everything (which it isn't.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.