Cube + Airport Extreme Base Station = ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cosmichobo, Apr 9, 2016.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

I recently picked up a G4 Cube (originally 450MHz, but now using a 1.5Ghz upgrade card), which has an original Airport card installed. The Cube is running OS 10.5.8, has 1.5GB RAM.

Initially, the system did not see any wifi network, despite 2 originating from just a few metres away - from my 2011 Airport Extreme Base Station (which I use for all my devices), and Netcomm Wireless modem (which I currently use solely to say "you killed my dog" to our neighbors).

After a few days, suddenly the card sees them both, but wont connect to either.

Aha - the original card only handles WEP or WPA... and the AEBS was set to WPA2... So, I changed the setting to WPA/WPA2. Nope - still just "times out" when I try to connect...

I then tried all 3 of the a/n b/g/n settings, but again, nothing...

Can someone point me in the right direction here, as I have read plenty of people saying that the original card can connect to a AEBS...???

Thanks

cosmic

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

WiFi reception has always been terrible on my Cube. I've checked the antenna internally, seems to be connected properly. Right now no networks appear in the list at all.

I recommend using a wired/Ethernet connection if you can. Even when it works, the original AirPort 802.11b is slow.

3. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Thanks for the reply, redheeler.

My plan is to use the Cube as a HTPC, and whilst I wont try to stream media to it (I've got a 4TB cloud drive that I'll connect to it directly), I'm hoping to use WiFi for screen sharing/Rowmote, and for copying over files to the cloud.

In terms of reception, the Cube and Airport Ethernet Base Station are in directly line of sight, maybe 3-4m apart... so I hoped it would at least establish a connection...

Think I'll pull the card out then re-seat it... see if that does anything...

Cheers

cosmic

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

If you plan on copying files, use Ethernet! The original AP cards are extremely slow compared to Ethernet

5. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Thanks for the heads up, MacCubed, but if it's just a few 300MB files now and then, I'll just set them up to copy over at night or something. Ethernet is really not an option as a permanent setup.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Screen Sharing is barely usable over the original AirPort. I have tried it with my Cube and dual-processor G4 MDD, both lagged heavily.

Edit: I do have it set to uncompressed though. Using a compressed mode it'd probably work a little better, but still not as well as over a wired connection.

7. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

The screen sharing is purely for control of the machine - ie navigating to the next movie in Frontrow... not actually displaying the screen content, because we will be sitting in front of the tv that the Cube is displaying on.

I just need to know how to get them to talk at all.....

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The original AirPort card will not work when the router is in WPA/WPA2 mode. It must either be in WEP or WPA - TKIP mode.