Cuisine for Our Future

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I was going to talk about bugs. In what thread was that recently mentioned? :oops:

Instead, let’s talk goat:
    The last time I saw a sign for Cabrito was on the Mexican side of Laredo. Anyone eat Cabrito regularity? Regarding eating healthy, Goat meat has the same amount of protein and half the calories of beef. Interesting article:

Goat Meat Could Save Our Food System, But We're Too Afraid To Eat It
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/goat-meat_n_5bb64c71e4b028e1fe3bcfa2

2. Scepticalscribe, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Look: Forget goat, or horse or dog.

Eating - and treating - meat - and meat sources - intelligently and respectfully would do the trick; you don't need to eat meat daily, and when you do, meat need not be the centre of the dish.

When I prepare pasta, for example, I will often have a slice of pancetta diced to flavour the tomatoes, garlic, onions, or beans, or whatever else I am preparing; this means that I still get to have the meat flavour, but without meat dominating.

If meat was regarded as a weekly or twice weekly treat, rather than a daily necessity, and the animals and fowl that become meat treated respectfully rather than slaughtered industrially, this problem would be reduced.

When I eat chicken, I buy free range organic chicken, from the farmer that raised it. Thus, I know this bird has had a good life, and I also know that this is a good life that has allowed it to run around a bit, vary its diet, and has made its muscles work and thus, as a consequence, the bones are heavier, and the meat is an awful lot tastier.

Yes, it costs around four to five times more than what I would pay for a chicken in a supermarket, but, I am happy to pay this, knowing, 1) the bird has had a decent life (and death) governed by ethical principles, 2) the meat tastes an awful lot better, - damn it, I can even use the bones to prepare a tasty stock, 3) the farmer who put the time (because these birds take a lot longer to mature than battery chickens) and the effort and work to raise the bird in this manner to gets my cash, not some anonymous ghastly company with distant owners, avaricious shareholders, and peculiar but complicated financial instruments availing of off shore banking.

3. Huntn, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree with you. I realize beef is a terrible choice for us and for the environment. Cattle have been credited adding mega tons of methane into the environment and as far as a meat, it’s not healthy but it is the best tasting meat out there. Never the less, I could see myself kicking streak, although I still love Whataburgers on occasion. (That’s a fast food chain.)

One thing I have started doing is eating many more salads, but even though, I still expect the equivalent of a sliced up chicken breast on it. And on pasta, we usually include ground chicken or turkey.

4. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I'm content with an exceptionally good fillet steak once a month, or once every two months.

That makes it a welcome treat, and I will buy organic, aged meat (from the person who reared it), meat that has been raised properly, treated with respect, fed on natural food, slaughtered humanely and aged properly. Again, this is an expensive treat, but that is good as you treat it with the respect due a special treat and the farmer who raises his herd ethically is also rewarded for having made such choices.

In a number of (less developed) societies, being able to afford to eat and serve meat is viewed as a visible sign of wealth, and it is an excellent source of protein.

Personally, I do not much care for a world where a feast is marked by serving several types of meat, the entire meal lacking vegetables or salads.

I don't think the issue is "kicking" meat; I have no intention of forgoing Parma ham, or artisan sausages; I just eat less meat, and would have a few meat free days each week.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Goat meat is fine, not my favorite but I'm certainly not averse to eating it.

Cabrito roasted over a coal fire is certainly delicious, but as you pointed out, it's not always easy to find this side of the river (unless you have some Mexican friends who can point you to a good hole-in-the-wall that has it).

On the other hand, a LOT of Indian restaurants serve goat meat, which is where I usually end up eating it. Again, not my favorite but it's fine.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't eat much meat. It's just not something I like. But when I do go for meat, I really like goat.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

I love steak, but probably only get it two or three times a year.

Mostly we eat chicken because of Mrs AFB food intolerances.
    But I’ll probably be meat free a couple of nights a week.
    Lunch is nearly always salad with either a bit of tuna or cheese.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Average Americans eat 200+ lbs of beef and chicken annually.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Average Americans are pretty large!
    7F1FC574-A0BC-4AF7-9FDE-6D41364E1EB4.jpeg

11. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

I’m veggie. Have been for 27 years. Believe me, meat isn’t necessary. We can all get by without it. Purely a choice thing.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

This phenomena has occurred in the last 50 years, 3 generations.

• Imo, it first started with the idea that eating fat makes you fat pushed by some 1960s nutrition researchers.
    • Then processed food manufacturers lowered fat and replaced it with sugar, and touted, look healthy!
    • Restaurants doubled portion sizes,
    • and finally children with all their electronic toys are not nearly as active as when I was a child, and we’ve ended up as a nation of fatties. :(
    Now my excuse is aging. I’m 65 years old, 5’10” and 210 lbs so I am overweight. If I could still run 5 miles, 3 times per week, if I still had my 20s metabolism, if I could swim 100 laps, I would. But it’s not my will, it’s not even my muscles, it’s my joints and deteriorating frame which is the road block.

So the answer for the aging, besides being active (which helps) is calorie intake. And it does not take that much food to put you over the limit. Are you listening fatties? ;)

Reference article:
    4 Myths about Fat You Need to Stop Believing
    https://greatist.com/eat/healthy-fats-myths-you-need-to-stop-believing-about-fats

13. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

In the US portion sizes are definitely a problem. When over there I typically only eat two meals a day. Any more than that and I’m bloated pretty quickly. You guys are all used to it though.

14. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

We also don't know what KGs are because our dumb country isn't on the metric system like everyone else!!!!