Resolved Cupert's Cinder NOT Gorilla Glass??? [UPDATED X2]

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by willmtaylor, Oct 1, 2015.

1. willmtaylor, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

A recently posted Amazon review alleges that popular IndieGoGo screen protector Cinder by Cupert is not in fact made from Corning's Gorilla Glass as the company's IGG campaign repeatedly claims (no less than 10x by my count) attached screenshot and link to Amazon review below.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cupert-Techno...l_formats&filterByStar=all_stars&pageNumber=1

image.jpeg

UPDATE:
    Cupert has responded directly to a question saying that it is indeed Corning's Gorilla Glass.
    http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx2176GOYJJVUN9/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B0153VMTKY
    image.png

UPDATE #2:
    Cupert has sent out a newsletter explaining some correspondence with Corning:

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

3. MrBlackHP macrumors newbie

MrBlackHP

Would that also mean that Imos Solid EX 3D is also not, in fact, Gorilla Glass?

4. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If the alleged claim is legitimately from Corning and is true, then yes, IMOS would also NOT actually be Gorilla Glass.

5. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

I find it very unlikely that an established company like Imos would lie about something like that. Imos may not be that familiar in all parts of the world, but to my understanding, they are a very well respected brand in Asia. Corning Gorilla Glass branding is all over the Imos Solid EX 3D screen protector--why would a company like that risk the inevitable lawsuits that would result if they were not, indeed, using Corning Gorilla Glass in their products?

At this point, I would take the allegation in the Amazon review with a grain of salt. I suspect that either the reviewer is not representing the situation accurately, or the individual at Corning that supposedly provided this information did not have their facts straight.

Kristin

6. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

On the other hand, we know patents and U.S. intellectual property rights are enforced far less in eastern Asian countries, and U.S. Companies are perpetually dealing with ubiquitous IP infringement.

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

8. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

This.

9. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I wouldn't trust someone who can't figure out that you need to air dry the adhesive.

10. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

Certainly seems odd. Who knows?

But if the excerpt in the email is indeed true ("I can confirm that the Gorilla Glass brand has not been authorized for use with screen protectors.") that would include every protector that claims their product is made of Gorilla Glass. Cinder, IMOS, etc., etc.

Even the original poster purchased a product that claimed it was made of Gorilla Glass.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-is-cinder.1895308/page-22#post-21970595
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/where-is-cinder.1895308/page-23#post-21972185

11. macaron95 macrumors regular

i'm pretty sure that all screen protectors come from the same chinese factory and are not approved by Gorilla, otherwise, Gorilla would have issued a PR to advertize on this...

12. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Maybe, but maybe not. Corning and Apple's relationship has been hush-hush except in the very beginning.

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

Corning not selling to Cupert directly does not mean the manufacturer in China does not have access to it. I did find it odd that nowhere on the cupert site [not indiegogo] does it mention Gorilla Glass

14. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Incorrect:
    gorilla.jpg

Navigate to specifications. Less than halfway down it says "Tempered Corning Gorilla Glass"

15. jeepik macrumors regular

gorillaglass@corning.com....that sounds ridiculously fake....y would corning reply to this anyhow? they make glass for OEM's they have better things to doi

16. kgenova macrumors 6502a

kgenova

17. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sounds "corny" or "Corning"?

18. xiacexi macrumors member

Yes, no customer service because they have better things to do :rolleyes:
    Straight from their Contact Us page:

19. Mr D macrumors 6502

How many people realize that Gorilla Glass is just a name like Retina Screen?

20. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Gorilla Glass is the name of a specific product produced by Corning. It's not a generic term like retina screen. A better analogy would be Kleenex, which is also the name of a specific product, but often misused to mean tissue.

21. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope. It's a copyrighted product. Marketing term as well? Sure. Not an accurate comparison though.

22. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

I don't really understand what it matters. Why is the first thing many people say when they see something like this is " fishy "? What likely happens, is companies like this go to kickstarter, contact an asian plant to produce the product, the plant says, we can do this with gorilla glass, you will pay X dollars for 1 - 5000 ordered, then you will pay x dollars for 5001-1000 ordered etc. The people don't actually " develop " or " create " anything. They just got a contact in china, negotiated, and then said " WE DO THIS " based on whatever the china plant told them. So when you guys argue about all the different brands, the ones in china, likely all come from the same 2 - 3 plants based on the same low quality glass, with the same low quality standards. They just package it differently, i bet they have different competitor glasses running down the line side by side. It's a joke, it's more of a joke that so many people think their are more than 2 - 3 non name brand covers!

23. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's a nice story, and it sounds good and all, except that if you've dealt with many glass screen protectors, you would know that there is huge variance in them and they are wildly different in regards to dimensions, materials, cuts, edges, feel, etc. Ergo, to say that they're all the same products made in the same factories with different packaging materials slapped on the box, just comes across as ignorant, ignorant arrogance actually.

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Gorilla® Glass never made since to me as a screen protector.

And Cinder... sheesh, what a mess.

25. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I call BS. Why would a huge company like Corning respond to a single unknown person about a specific product.

Maybe ask them if they supply Apple? Apple never mentions they use GG. (but they do)

IMOS? Did you ask about them.

One person reports a random "response" supposedly from Corning and everyone believes it?