Curious about your iPhone choice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swampthing, Sep 18, 2017.

?

Are you buying the iPhone X or the iPhone 8?

1. iPhone X

38.0%
  2. iPhone 8

62.0%
  1. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

2. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Couldn't it have continued in one of the other threads with the same poll?

4. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Need to add "TBD" and "Sticking with what I have".

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

So we should ignore this thread...right? Makes complete sense!

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Already answered on a couple of the other 20 threads covering this topic.

8. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Buy whatever you want and just don't give a f*ck about what people are thinking of it.

Simple enough.

9. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

You get a gold star. None of them were polls, btw...

10. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

11. allthingsapple! macrumors regular

Preordered an 8 but considering returning it for the X...still haven't decided.

12. thecore762 macrumors 6502

How about a vote neither and staying with their current iPhones? I feel most people on the board are going to sit still this year.

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

This.

14. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I'm keeping my year old iPhone 7 but there's a 3-year old iPhone 6+ on the family plan that needs replacing. Gonna go with the 8+ on that.

15. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

Frankly I'm surprised these results. It seems almost half-and-half.

16. ricktat macrumors 65816

This poll is OK because everyone has been flip flopping all week over what they are going to buy. So answers have changed

17. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Despite everyone talking trash about the iPhone 8 for no real reason, I'm really excited for it.

The iPhone 8 is a further refinement. I view the iPhone X like the MacBook. The new kid on the block with new innovations (Force Touch and new keyboard) that will be refined and brought over to the reaming line in a year or two).

Perhaps from the iPhone 7 to the 8 isn't a night and day difference, but it's still notably improved. People saying that it's "basically the iPhone 6" are just being contrary. For me, I just didn't want to spend the money on the iPhone X because I'm not sold on it yet I just didn't see the value in for me this year:
    • It's a first generation product so there could be issues - weak answer though.
    • The stainless steel band is polished and I fear will scuff and smudge super easy
    • I don't LOVE the notch. I don't hate it, but I feel it's implementation will be refined in later iOS versions.
    • I don't like how the bottom of each app is barren for that "-------". It looks like you have more space on a 5.5" iPhone Plus than on this 5.8" X.
    • I'm not sold on Face ID yet. Touch ID was such a given for this device. Face ID is neat, but seems gimmicky and I'm not sure how I like it.
      • Just facing the phone unlocks it - even without me knowing it.
      • I often unlock my device laying next to me, not exactly facing it (like beneath a table or at my side).
      • My phone sits in a sand and faces me at work, does that mean each time it lights up with a notification it will light up - I instinctively glance at it - and then it unlocks? I don't like that.

To me, the iPhone 8 is the just the latest refinement of a solid user experience. The iPhone X is the new and innovative thing pushing the envelope and testing the waters.

18. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

Business Insider said the iPhone 8 is incredible, but wait for the iPhone X instead. Forbes seemed to think the iPhone X is the best bet too...

19. Phasism Suspended

20. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Politely asking: why are others' opinions so important in this regard? Just buy what you want and enjoy it.

21. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

need to add,

Used iPhone 7
    Used iPhone 6s
    Used iPhone 6

22. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

SomeGuy2112

Sometimes when you're on the fence, hearing other peoples thought process can help make the decision... Maybe there is something that could help make the decision that a specific individual hadn't considered...

These are fairly hefty investments for many, and the clear winner isn't always obvious.

I pre-ordered the 8 myself, but am honestly second guessing and considering if I should have been patient and waited for the X.

Too bad availability is going to be such a crap shoot.

23. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

The votes had been close to even, but it now seems most are shifting toward the iPhone 8. I wonder if that means on iPhone X launch day, you'll be able to pick one up just as easily as an 8.

24. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

No

Buying Apple products recently has involved tradeoffs. No longer can you simply buy the “latest” iPhone, MacBook Air and iPad and have the same stuff as everyone else. You have to be comfortable with that.

25. Swampthing thread starter Suspended

Swampthing

It’s pretty much always been that way. Not necessarily speaking for myself, but others who may want to wait until launch day to pick up their iPhone X. About myself, I don’t always buy phones on launch day and I completely skipped the iPhone 7.