Curious, Anyone else keep it on silent?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by susan12369, May 6, 2015.

1. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Just curious as to whether anyone else keeps their watch on silent. I've had mine on silent since I first set it up, because I prefer not to have it make noises throughout my workday, etc., and the taptic notification works well for me. From the posts I've been reading, it seems like I'm in a minority here and I'm wondering how everyone else deals with the notification sounds? Does it interrupt meetings, etc?

2. ventmore macrumors 6502

Yep......mines always set to silent. Couldn't even tell you what the message tones sound like :)

Did try the alarm tone just to see how loud it was...but concluded that it's far too quiet to wake me up :)

3. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Always on silent for me too. Will never turn it on, unless I lose all feeling in my left arm.

4. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

5. skaro macrumors newbie

6. Lizardo90 macrumors member

I only keep my watch in silence when im in meetings. My iphone stays silent 24/7

7. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Used tones for the first hour or so, then went on silent. The vibration is good enough for me.

8. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

That was the first thing I did. I have no idea why the default settings allowed the watch to make noise.

9. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Wait, you're telling me this watch makes sounds? :eek:

10. Glene macrumors 6502

No noise from phone or watch, that's what haptic is all about for me.....

11. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Permanently silent for me. Haptic feedback is there for a reason!

12. grenhall macrumors regular

I set my phone and watch on silent since setting it up today. I might change it just to hear the sound sometime but as of now the silence is golden.

13. susan12369 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. KPOM macrumors G5

Me, too. I tried unmuting it yesterday, but switched back to mute. The haptic feedback is enough for me.

15. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I always have my phone on silent too. Never use the sounds. I wish my phone wouldn't vibrate when I'm wearing the watch. Only get the taps. Would be a nice setting.

16. wanderfowl macrumors member

wanderfowl

The joy of a smartwatch, for me, is that my phone *and* watch can stay silent, yet I'll still get notifications. So, yes, silent.

17. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Watch on silent and now so is my phone because I don't need to hear it ringing with the tippy tap on my wrist!

18. flur macrumors 68000

Both my phone and watch are on silent all the time. The phone is on vibrate and the watch has the haptic, so no need for noise.

I work in an office where it's common for people to have ringtones where voices say things like "John you have a message" or "Nothing important" over and over and over and over and over. It's made me hate all audible ringtones and pings.

19. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Watch has been on silent from day one, especially while at work. I turned up the vibration so I'm alerted promptly

20. FCDP macrumors regular

First thing I did was set it to silent. I already had my iPhone on full silent with no vibration from before when I used a Pebble Steel. Apple Watch took its place and is also 100% silent. No idea what any of the alerts sound like.

21. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

Phone and watch are on silent at work. Both sounds come on while I'm out and about. The taptic feedback is pretty strong as I do keep my Watch on a bit snug. Its funny though how I now feel my wrist twitch with my watch off every now and then. Its weird.

22. susan12369 thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume your phone vibrating is with a phone call?

23. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Making it silent was one of the first things I did when I got the watch. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard it make a noise. One review I saw summed it up pretty nicely and it something like the only thing the alert sounds seemed to do was let everyone in the room know that you were about to look at your watch.

24. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Yes phone calls. And I thought it did it with text messages too before but I could be mistaken about that, as now thinking back my phone has been sitting next to me all day at work but hasn't vibrated with texts. But that could be because I am on my mac getting them through Messages. And if I don't switch to messages right away after a minute or so my watch taps me but phone doesn't vibrate.

25. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I agree. I actually turned off both sounds and vibrations for notifications on my phone, so just get alerted on my watch, but the downside of this is that when my phone is active and alerts come in then I don't really get any notification. I've missed a few alerts this way if I don't happen to be looking at the screen and I miss the banner.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to get all notifications on the watch and only on the watch whether the phone is on or not, except when I'm not wearing the watch. Then then can go to the phone. I only take off the watch at night when I'm sleeping, so normally the second part isn't an issue, except I prefer to be able to receive phone calls at night in case there is an emergency or for when I'm on call for work.