Curious what the returners really expected??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ttexxan, May 6, 2015.

1. ttexxan macrumors regular

I find it funny reading all the posts of people returning or not happy with there watches. What were people thinking it was going to do?? What did you expect?? Its a tech watch--All Tech watches look "techy" and will never be that Rolex or luxury watch.

Yes the watch is expensive and over priced. However, if you can't justify parting with the funds don't do it. It's like gambling---Don't cry because you lost the money, but go in counting on losing it.

The watch does everything Apple said it would do. It wasn't meant to be some powerhouse computer on your wrist. I venture to say it will never be that!! Yes it will never be that. The majority of people dont want to surf the net or talk to there wrist. Thats what a phone is for. The watch allows small things to function quicker---Ie glancing at emails or quick response to text.

Accept what the watch is and can do and you wont be disappointed

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

well I didn't know if it would be something for me and the next apple store is 2 hours away + the hype and anticipation got the best of me but I just noticed it's nothing for me so I will return it on Friday. I actually didn't even notice I forgot to put it on all of yesterday until I got back home late in the afternoon and saw it on my desk.

for one thing most of my 3rd party apps r pointless to me like they notify me but they don't show me what the actual message is so I have to take my iPhone out to view it anyway. add to the fact that there's no apple pay in Europe and that I am constantly on my iPhone anyway it has become a redundant device quite fast. but hey at least I have tried. controlling music was nice I guess but that's more than a first world problem

3. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

I think people wanted to be blown away, and most of those people weren't used to wearing a watch. I think the combination of wearing a watch, and it being a 1st gen concept, people returned it.

it isn't for the masses like every other apple product. Not yet anyway.

I won't be returning mine! :cool:

4. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

Yea I am interested too. I think apple was very clear about what it did. But I guess some people understood that and wanted to try it for themselves, realized it was something they didn't love or want and returned it. To each his own I suppose. Love mine!

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

I'm going in with the assumption that it's a nice watch, first and foremost. Anything else it does, will be gravy.

I think if you approach it as just a watch, it will definitely delight you. For instance, just having the weather on my watch face will be a huge deal for me.

I should be getting mine tomorrow.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Actually you can make and receive phone calls from your Apple Watch.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

read it again? you can but most people wont because like he said "people dont want to talk to their wrist"

8. flur macrumors 68000

Yeah, I went into the purchase knowing that I wanted Apple Pay and to have my boarding pass on my wrist at the airport. I already knew it was going to do both of those things, so there was no room to be disappointed. Since getting it, I've found it does all kinds of other great things that I didn't know I wanted, like getting and sending texts without pulling out my phone (yes, I knew it did that, but I didn't know I wanted it).

I'm guessing the returners were on the fence to begin with.

9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I don't think it's necessarily a question of affordability, but rather expectations. It's pretty much a case of; "this is cool and all, but what is justifying this price tag exactly?"

Like AbsoluteMustard said, people were expecting to be blown away. Particularly if they failed to set realistic expectations and bought into the hype Apple have been generating for it since September.

Apple has half-heartedly set expectations, but ultimately they have behaved as if the Watch is the second coming.

FWIW: I knew what the Watch can/can't do. I'm keeping mine.

10. JCFC20 macrumors newbie

I think that people maybe were expecting an ecosystem of apps, similar to that found with the iPhone and iPad from an early stage with the watch.

I think that most reviews have suggested that the watch is one of, if not the best smart watch available today. When the watch app ecosystem does develop, that's when you'll see killer features and added convenience of using the watch in conjunction with the phone.

In my opinion, the watch is something for the future and I think that this will come along at a fair pace now that developers are really getting their heads around the watch and what they can do with it.

11. d.steve macrumors regular

I can kind of understand it, actually. The way it was rolled out such that people were, well, let's say, encouraged, to preorder it before being able to really figure it out is going to create a higher return rate by itself.

I don't really see 3rd party apps being that useful - I would be disappointed if I had had that expectation (but I don't).

It does everything it said it would do, but that doesn't mean it actually works well enough for me to say, "this matches my expectation perfectly".

Notifications are the key value for me, and with the number that come in and the number of them I miss from weak/missing haptic response, I'm not sure it truly solves for what I wanted it for.

But I like it as a watch, so I'm likely going to keep it. But I can understand why some wouldn't.

12. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

I think the crazy wait is getting to the best of people. I had the wrong size one for a couple days and wasn't overly impressed but I still really want one. I have returned my SS which was too small and now ordered a sport since the price of the SS is not worth it. The 1st generation apple watch will have no value in a couple years like the original iPad. Don't buy this thing like its a piece of jewellery, you will regret it very soon.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

They expected magic.

They also aren't giving themselves a long enough trial period. I do understand that the return policy is 14 days, but for those who aren't used to wearing a watch, it may take longer than that to really "get" it.

But, if they just bought it because they always buy the newest Apple product and they really can't afford it, then yes, they should return it or sell it.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He was implying that you can't do that, being that he put it in the same sentence and "surfing the web", which is something you can't do from the watch.

15. rhsmd1 macrumors member

i remember when i got the original ipad. i couldn't figure out what it could offer me over my macbook pro.
    now it is indispensible:eek:

16. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

And yet today people are talking to their hand (the one that is holding the phone). Talking to their wrist and not having to hold a phone, is just a step away.

17. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I'm also curious as to what people's expectations were and why they weren't met. The Watch delivers on the expectations that were set by Apple, at least in my opinion.

This ^ (emphasis mine) surprisingly has turned into a huge deal for me as well. I have always been a weather checker, and I'm finding simply having the temperature as a complication on my watch face is wonderful.

The watch does what I expected it to do, reduce my dependency on my phone. I used to charge my iPhone 6 plus at least once a day. Now I'm finding I only have to charge it every other day. That alone would make me want to keep it, but I'm finding it's all the other little things about the watch, like the complications, that are making me love it.

18. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

This!
    I did the research, I thought long and hard on the implications of use for my own personal usage. I purchased.
    I understand the learning curve is long, but fruitful. I understand when people think it's overpriced, but compared to what?
    I save up for my iDevices and determine if when it becomes available, if I so choose to indulge. My personal choice.
    I have used Apple devices since 1984. It's not that I drank the Kool-Aid, but felt the investment was worthwhile to me for what I have received in the multitude of uses for myself.
    As with the iPad, I believe that many will come to a point once again that.."I didn't know how much I needed this."

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

People who think it should be an iPhone strapped to their wrist drive me crazy.

It's not supposed to be, and for so many reasons.

20. Eric-PTEK, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I have not returned my watch but I'm considering it.

At $349 I think the watch has value. At $699 not so much. I bought the SS over Sport for aesthetic reasons alone.

It is a very un-Apple product.

• Not intuitive to use, one thing Apple does well is the product does what you expect it to do when you push, pull, prod. The watch does not.
    • Siri is great, but too slow to be useful.
    • Voice text is great, but again extremely slow and unresponsive to the point where I said something twice only to have it catch up and capture both
    • Notifications sometimes work, sometimes do not
    • The Stand/walk feature is hopelessly broken and inaccurate
    • The 'Apple Watch cannot display' warning is annoying, I know it can't display, having to scroll through it every single time to read and email is annoying and defeats the 'glance' purpose
    • No autoscroll
    • Tapping on an email notification sometimes brings you to the email, sometimes doesn't

I'll give one simple example. How in the hell do you change the world time option at the top where it is set to Cupertino? That to be should be something simple and intuitive, still can't get it to change.

That is a simple, and dumb example but it perpetuates itself through the entire watch.

It is not that it is necessarily a bad product, but it is not a product that most expected.

On the flip side the watch could spray cat piss in your eyes whenever you glanced at it and some people would say Apple perfected cat piss.

Things the watch does well?

Battery life far exceeds my expectations on the 42mm
    The screen looks fantastic for graphics...text needs some work
    Very rarely is the watch not ready when I look at it which I hear is a common complaint

21. Charlesm3030 macrumors member

I won't be returning mine either. Love the workout features and more apps are soon to come.

22. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

But that's what they were expecting. They return it because they basically say their iPhones can do those things. They are expecting an iPhone replacement.

23. bahamallama macrumors member

bahamallama

I returned mine because of problems. Several Bluetooth headphones would not work with it. They'd drop constantly despite the fact I've been using them for years with my iPhone.

There is no wifi sync despite what they say. The apple rep told me they no longer advertise that feature as its extremely limited and rarely works. My entire network is apple products. An airport extreme and 2 hard wired apple expresses. If I get out of Bluetooth range the watch is useless for me.

No streaming music. Why? I have no idea. The hardware can easily handle it, it would hurt battery life but if I want that, I should be able too. Syncing playlists to it takes way too long. I synced 20 songs and it took over an hour. I tried this 3 times and once it took overnight and still failed.

I unpaired and repaired the watch and all the headphones many times with no success.

I wanted this mainly for use around my house and yard not needing my phone for basic use, check email, texts, play music. Doesn't do it. Apple rep confirmed its really limited. So for me a $436.00 pedometer that I can see texts and emails with instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket is not worth it.

I hope they solve these issues in the next software update or hardware. Until then I'll just have to manage taking my 6 plus out of my pocket, but if they can solve these problems I'd buy it again.

D

24. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Disclaimer: I have not bought an Apple Watch nor do I intend to.

I would say the returners were expecting Apple to do to smartwatches what they did to mp3 players, smartphones, and tablets. In fact, leading up to the launch, people often cited the iPod, iPhone, and iPad as evidence that the watch was destined for success. I think it is clear that, at this point, Apple has not shown the world why you need a smartwatch or what the potential is in the way they did with their previous products. Maybe they will gen 2, but it hasn't happened gen 1.

25. lchlch macrumors 6502a

I think there is a learning curve because it's a new device which require a new skill set. That's why Apple provided both videos and manual to guide users. It kinda reminded me of the first iPhone.

And the watch is the extension of the phone. So try changing the time on your phone.

----------

There is wifi. But people found that you need to connect your phone to the 2.4ghz channel for it to work right. And to be honest Apple reps sometimes don't know what they are talking about. Alternatively maybe you have a weak wifi signal in your yard?