Current FCP worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by namethisfile, Mar 1, 2011.

1. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

Hi,

I've been using FCE as my main video editor for years now and have always wanted to upgrade to FCP.

Is it worth it to get the current FCP Studio now and then upgrade to the new one when it comes out?

I am asking because FCP Studio is selling for $900 plus tax at B&H and didn't know it was this low. Lol. For some reason, I thought it was much higher than that and wondered if the price came down over the years.

So, I guess, my question is two fold. Will the new FCPS be priced similarly to the current FCPS or will it be pricier? If so, would it be cheaper for me, then, to get the current FCPS and pay the upgrade fee later?

2. simsaladimbamba

FCS (Final Cut Studio) has been lowered to 999 USD ever since the release of FCS 3.
    A significant update to FCS is expected in the first half of 2011, therefore if you can wait, wait, or if not, and don't mind paying the update price later, go for it, if your editorial and post productional needs need FCS.

3. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i can wait. but i am afraid that the new FCS will be priced higher than what the current one is selling now.

do you think the new FCS will stay at $999?

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

As already mentioned, upgrade if you need the extra features/tools now. But chances are you don't have an immediate need for them, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to see what the upgrade entails. And maybe at that point you might have enough saved up to pit it against other production suites.

5. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i have already waited this long to upgrade to FCS from FCE that I am going to wait for the update.

i was just wasn't sure if the current FCS price was the new price point and not lowered over the years due to competition.

6. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

7. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

8. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i hope the price stays at $999, too.

and not like the old price of $1500, if i remember correctly, which is also the price point for FCS' nearest competitor, the Adobe Production bundle.

crossing fingaz.

9. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

yeah. i wonder what would make a video editor's jaw's drop.

maybe it is the ui overhaul?

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I would wait. There should be a big jump on performances with the 64 bits thing. Or a severe threat for this software if they don't implement it.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Old price was of the suite was $1199 or $1299. When I first bought FCP it was $999 and that was just for FCP.:eek:

Lethal

12. FroColin macrumors regular

I disagree with your disagreement ;)
    No but seriously, software costs nothing to sell. They need to make the price low enough that people will buy it but still take it seriously. If they thought that if they lowered the price to 5 dollars and 5 billion people would buy it then they would get 25 billion dollars. Inflation does raise the price to make it but not the price to sell it. And seeing as they will have already made it before they can sell it they have already spent everything on it. It's then most important that they sell it.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Last time I checked things like marketing and distribution were not free.

Lethal

14. FroColin macrumors regular

Clever

15. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

5 billion, now that's what I call an installed base! Just imagine....every man, woman and child on planet earth cutting video. Almost enough to put some poor editor out of a job.

Seriously, I'm willing to bet my last dollar that most people using a 'free' copy of whatever software they are pirating wouldn't be willing to pay even $5 for it

16. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Apple reckons it costs 30% :D

17. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The "extended trial version" software I have of any significant cost has two things in common:
    • I wouldn't pay for it
    • I hardly use it

Both are intertwined. This is why - I suspect - some large SW companies don't chase individuals using pirate copies. The individuals don't care, probably don't use it and wouldn't pay for it. Businesses are a different story though. Plus they are more valuable to chase.

18. simsaladimbamba

So all the companies selling software don't have to pay anything for providing the customer with a copy of their software, be it online or offline at some kind of store you can walk into?
    Does that mean, server farms cost nothing? Hmm, Apple should seriously consider getting one of these, as they just wasted 1 billion USD in North Carolina. What idiots they are, aren't they?
    Even shipping copies of software to stores worldwide and printing the packages and the CDs and DVDs does not cost anything. Man, we seem to have finally left the world of capitalism behind.
    Why do they even ask for money for their products still?

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

zing!

20. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

... and have entered the twilight zone of OPEN SOURCE, where all great ideas languish.

21. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

This is why software piracy shouldn't be illegal. Those who download it, wouldn't have bought the original in the first place - thus, no-one has lost any money after all :D

22. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Nice one! The circular logic had me confounded but that just brings it all back home!

23. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Couldn't that same frame of logic be applied to anything? I was never going to pay money to see that movie I snuck into. I was never going to pay for that meal I ran out on. I was never going to pay all of that money for that stolen car I'm driving around in.

24. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

25. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

I think he was being sarcastic or sardonic...at least I hope he was. Intellectual property is the 21st century version of gold...and once they build this cloud you will have to pay if you want it to rain.