Current iPhone Owners: Will you update to iPhone 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickspohn, Dec 18, 2007.

?

Upgrading if iPhone 2 comes out in 08'?

1. I will upgrade.

38.8%
  2. I'll wait it out and see what happens after "iPhone 2"

41.3%
  3. Haven't thought about this yet.

20.0%
  1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That is, if it comes out in 2008, with a new design and better features.

Or will you keep your current one and wait to see where the "iPhone 2" is headed.

Vote.

As for me, i'll probably upgrade if it's worthy of it.

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Honestly Im not position to upgrading as soon as it gets out (hence my vote), why? Beacuse I live in Costa Rica and no AT&T for me :eek: But if its like for this iPhone that 74 days after its release it was unlocked and just weeks short of my birthday then... HELL YES!!!

-Victor

3. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Unforetunately, as it stands right now, people may answer, but in my opinion, the question is flawed. The reason why it is flawed, is that I can see how different people will read the question/answers differently for meaning.

#1. Some people can't legitimately decide until they know what a new iPhone will have (though they've thought about it). Also, there is a legitimate question as to wether simply adding more memory counts as the next iPhone version (if the phone becomes 16GB in January, and gets a full refresh by June).
    #2. Option #2 sounds like it either means you will wait to hear what iPhone 2 has in it, or you will wait for the phone that comes after iPhone 2. These are two different things.
    #3. What exactly does "upgrade" mean? Some people could legitimately assume there is some type of formal "upgrade" option they've never heard of. Simply saying "sell your phone and buy the new one" would have been clearer.

~ CB

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

when i first heard about the iPhone announcement just over a year back, I thought to myself (as did others) "i'll have some of that please"..

I patiently waited for it to come to the UK .. but as soon as I heard about the tariffs, there was no way I was going to stick to a legit UK iPhone.

Will I get the iPhone 2? I can confidently say that I probably will.
    When will i get it? That depends on tariffs/availability/unlocking hacking etc..

5. walnuts macrumors 6502

I would say no. The iPhone was marketed with its ability to be upgraded by software. I expect that iPhone 2, if it comes out in 2008, would likely have 3g, and maybe a modest increase in storage space. Those two things alone aren't enough to upgrade. I do think that there are a bunch of things that could be done with a software upgrade. I would think that iPhone 2 would be marketed more as an update (like the 5.5 gen iPod) than a new model targeted at people who already have an iPhone. Cmon- a bunch of us already paid our $100 early buy in fee, they wouldn't wanna make our phones obsolete in a year too?

I will buy in when they actually have enough space to hold all of my music (say at least 64 gb), but I would guess that's not coming for a while- it will obsolete the entire "classic" line then.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dude, it's a throw away question on a forum. Stop with the buzz kill.

7. Maui19 macrumors regular

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

You are missing "NO"

Straight up...NO...I will not upgrade on the next version. I have always skipped one interim generation upgrade because usually its not that much of a change. One or two things is not enough to spend that much money on.

1) 3G ugrade will only affect so many people and at this time should not be a serious decision maker in the U.S.

2) 16 gig capacity is a hickup for those that really want more storage.

3) GPS is really not that big of an issue with me...I like my google maps and can see that with a software update soon, it will give me a pretty good idea of where I am at. Besides, I always know where I am going and do not need GPS...I use a good old fashion compass in the woods, just can't seem to find a plug in anywhere to recharge computers that like to freeze and die.

4) There is nothing else hardware wise that would be added to the next generation anyway.

The only hardware addition that would change my mind is a SD slot for extended memory, plugins or what ever. Also a rubberized, edge with the removal of the chrome bezel.

Everything else is changeable on the current phone with software updates, patches and new apps. Anything else that is needed will come to this version in time or I will adapt (as I already have) to the lack of some of the other things missing.

My next iPhone will be a Generation 3 version.

Merry Christmas to All!

9. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Seconded!

As for me, I'm waiting to get the 3G iPhone.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What is "iPhone 2"?

If all it adds is 3G then it's more "iPhone 1.1". If your talking 16Gig flash, same...

Maybe just a newer OS? We can probably just update the phone we have now...

I don't think a true "iPhone 2" will be out for another year from now...

11. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Just a quick note, it is not RAM...
    RAM is volatile, meaning as soon as it looses power everything is gone.
    Sorry for that, but it kind of bothers me!
    [/OCD]

anyway,
    It will depend what the next iPhone has! I honestly dont think there will be a huge upgrade for the iPhone, and I think any software update will be available for the first gen iPhone as well as the 2nd gen.
    I dont want a GPS unless it actually works, and from other phones with GPS's I can honestly say that it kills battery life, and takes forever to find where I am! Plus i dont use maps enough to need a GPS!

3G is not a deciding factor at all, as there is no 3G in my area (or most of the US for that matter)

more storage: if I upgraded I would get the larger capacity version, but I wouldnt upgrade just for more storage!

MMS: Again, not a huge deal... but if apple only offers MMS for 2nd gen iPhones I will email apple every week telling them how pisses off i am at them! Since this is a software update I think it will be available for the 1dt gen iPhone too!

The only other feature that sticks out in my head as something that I may want, is the ability to tether my iPhone to my macbook and get EDGE (or 3G if available) internet, while im on the road...

12. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

It depends on when it would come out in 2008 and exactly what the new design looked like or what new features it had. If it comes out very early in 2008, I would not buy it. If it comes out after June, I would consider and late 2008 I would be much more likely to buy. I would also want more than just 3G. I would want more storage, GPS, MMS, and quite a few features that the current iPhone is missing. Basically, I would consider, but it would depend on quite a few things.

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

iPhone 2 is a software update. We'll all get it for nothing.

As for the next true revision (storage upgraded to 16GB in Feb/March, I don't count that), I'd say we're a year off and it would have to be pretty compelling for me to want one if they deliver on the next major firmware revision (2.x n Feb/March, same time as SDK).

14. hxe3333 macrumors member

My wild guess is colorful skins, 3G, double the space, colorful skins, maybe gps and colorful skins.
    Red, pink, green, blue, snow, flower... Personalize your phone. Free laser print in the back. So exciting!!.....

So I definitely wait for the 3rd gen.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sorry, of course, fixed, I was thinking about RAM when I wrote this...

16. Project macrumors 68020

It would need to have at least 2 of these for me to consider upgrading right away

- 5mpx or more camera
    - HSDPA
    - 32GB

Anything less than these, such as regular 3G or a 3.2mpx camera, or even GPS, would not really tempt me. The SDK ensures that a whole new batch of functionality becomes available soon.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

That's pretty much how I view it. O2 are in no way geared up for HSDPA anyway so it'll have to be a year off.

18. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Before I upgrade, I am planning on waiting for...

1. iPhone to end their 2 year contract with AT&T and go global (so monthly fees can be more competitive)
    2. iPhone to go 3G

That's about it.

19. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I only need one thing to get me to buy that day...

Chat AV. I simply do not understand why they didnt put this feature on there. I know there are tons of simple phone features that many think should have been added right away, such as MMS and mass email delete. but I must say, above all of these things, Apple is the one company who could have taken the entire world that next step by adding video to our calls. imagine how many people have WiFi where they use their phone, the entire world of iphones could be talking over wifi.
    Anyway, I remember a patent or something that was talked about on here; Apple working with bittorrent type stuff in the OS and something to do with a network. maybe they are setting up the infrastructure to handle that?

The day that iphone is released, i will be first in line.
    A

20. Project macrumors 68020

:( didn't know this.

21. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I doubt we are going to see the external design change much. I is already iconic, and there is not much that can be changed. Can't make the screen bigger. Don't want to make the screen any smaller. Could shave it down a little thinner - but better to use any "free" space that more compact components may allow to boost battery life.

Perhaps another camera could be added to the front for video calls - but that never caught on here because the cell companies got greedy and wanted to charge way too much for it (like they did with data before T-mobile offered half decent rates - and the iPhone crowbared open O2s offerings). Apple may actually make the idea take off at last.

An interesting think I noted in the specs for the chips around which the iPhone is built is that the maximum resolution camera supported was - you guessed it - 2Mpixels. Which is just what we've got. That chip also had lots of video handling capabilities - so the existing phone could be upgraded in software to capture video (direct to uTube posting application anyone).

From a hardware point of view I don't see the iPhone changing that much for the next two versions. Figure a constant upgrade of the memory as density goes up. 3G version to expand into other markets. Everything else will probably be software updates.

Around 2010 Apple may be ready for a more substantial redesign.

Where things get interesting is if they go the iPod route and do an iPhone Nano. Personally I think a reduced size/reduced feature set device sacrifices too much. How they could do an iPhone Shuffle is a question for which I'm not sure I was to see the answer.

Will I replace my iPhone with the next version? That depends on a lot of things...

1. How much will it cost? I could see Apple introducing an update with an 8 and 16GB version, with the 8GB being less expensive - offering 8Gb for £249 and the 16Gb for £299 would be the kind of price points Apple would need to hit.

2. Contract terms for existing iPhone customers. This would need to be made very clear i.e. buy an iPhone v2 and just activate it. No extra contract time. No extra charges.

3. How much better G3 is. I've been on the road with my iPhone at the start of this week. Gave the thing a real field test - which is passed with flying colours I may add. Perhaps I was lucky - I have Edge here, and the locations I visited also had Edge and/or Cloud WiFi connectivity. G3 would not have delivered a significantly better experience. Perhaps a few things would have been a little faster, but would I have noticed that much? Bottom line - I liked the iPhone when I got it. After that trip I like it even more because having it was very very useful. Google Maps got me where I was going. Mail and Safari kept me in contact. The music and audio books I ripped onto it kept me entertained. I even made a couple of phone calls.

4. Screen quality :D I have a perfect screen. Not something I'd give up lightly - and you just know Apple will be trying to source screens that keep production costs down and margins (especially if the price is cranked down any) up.

22. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'll probably buy whatever version is on the market 18 - 24 months from now, but not before.

Phazer

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That will be the longest 2 years of your life since ATT has a 5 year exclusive on the iPhone. I'm sure the overseas carriers got similar deals.

24. skeen macrumors 6502

LOL @ "upgrade". If I could upgrade my iPhone, I would. Some people talk about it as if you're not paying for a whole new phone. I wouldn't considering buying a new iPhone updating, or upgrading - it's buying a whole new iPhone.

25. NitrousFlare macrumors member

This question is too hypothetical.

If it is better than the current version...