Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Two questions regarding a potential purchase:

1) I've read through the threads and do not see any significant and consistent issues - the stock 2.66 appears fairly trouble free - yes????

2) There have been some comments regarding "updates" for the Mac Pro at WWDC - processors/chipsets/graphics card. A possible gpu upgrade I understand - but what processors/chipsets would be at play for the Mac Pro?

Thanks

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Personally the prices and equipment out now looks good, but you can expect updates along the line this year.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
The mac pros have very few issues no common ones except the funny smell with the 8 cores. But i think that was fixed. I don't think there will be an update to CPU/chipset for a good bit. As intel hasn't released anything that i know thats more recent. So the only thing they may release is a new video card. But that really is just a mac version. Which you will be able to put in the current mac pros i would think.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I'm waiting a couple more weeks before I make the jump, though I have no expectations. I'm totally happy with the current technology.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
It is a fantastic machine - just make sure you get some non-Apple memory for it otherwise it's like driving a Ferrari while towing a caravan.

If I was looking to buy right now though I would surely wait for WWDC.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Thanks for the responses - they were what I was hoping to hear. My "rush" is that I want to get my G5 Quad up for sale BEFORE it becomes another version older.

It appears that the G5 Quad has held it's value very well - mine has had no problems at all.

Thanks again for the responses!!!

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I can say this for the first time owning a mac. The mac pro has been the most trouble free, fastest, quietest computer I have ever owned period and I have owned many many systems. Go for it. Its upgradable anyways. To 32gb of ram now and the cpu's are replaceable. Damn fine machine.

I am lovin this intel move. Upgraded my mac mini and have the same potential in my mac pro. YES!

Og Oggilby

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2005
Boston Area
I can say this for the first time owning a mac. The mac pro has been the most trouble free, fastest, quietest computer I have ever owned period and I have owned many many systems. Go for it. Its upgradable anyways. To 32gb of ram now and the cpu's are replaceable. Damn fine machine.

I am lovin this intel move. Upgraded my mac mini and have the same potential in my mac pro. YES!

I'll second that!

My boss has a dual 2.66 and has had no problems.

I've had my mac pro (dual quad core - has no smell at all) for a week and a half now and I love it. Glad I didn't wait any longer for the rumored video or motherboard update. This machine is 8 times faster than my last PC when doing 3D rendering. The odds are you will be able to update the video card at some point anyway. The Mac Pro is fast, quiet, and extremely easy to add ram, drives, etc. Heck, the inside of the case is a work of art! I am running bootcamp with xp64 on it and with the exception of the eject key not working (which is annoying, but you can right click on the drive and click eject), I can't tell the difference between the Mac Pro and my office PC dual quad workstation - other than the Mac Pro is a bit faster and much more quiet. Oh, and the Mac Pro cost less! I have been using computers since the Amiga 1000. I have owned multiple PC's and Macs. So far, this system might be my favorite!

BTW, I added ram to it from Crucial (turns out to be the same brand that was in the Mac Pro I received - I peeled off the Crucial sticker on the heat sink and the sticked under it matched the Mac's ram sticker).

It's your call to buy or wait. The trouble is that when the next updates come out, then the next best thing rumor will have you thinking if you should wait just a little longer. The question is: do you need a faster computer, or do you want a faster computer? If you need one - go for it. If you just want one, you might want to wait. One thing about waiting and buying new technology when it first comes out - bugs. They are pretty much gone from the current OS X and hardware. They will most likely have problems with with a new OS and hardware, at least for a while.

Hope this helps...

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 26, 2003
California
Og - thanks much - I have a developing need for some Windows programs and did not want to go Virtual PC - Bootcamp or Parallels require the Intel processor - thus my need to sell the G5 Quad and continue my transition to Intel. My G5 Quad is fast and rock solid but a no go for Windows use for me.

I just ordered the 2.66 version Mac Pro w/the Airport & BT module - I am thinking just as you are - few, if any remaining bugs and more than fast enough for me.

I'll put in an order for some Crucial RAM shortly - been down this path a few times over the years ;) ;)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
1) I've read through the threads and do not see any significant and consistent issues - the stock 2.66 appears fairly trouble free - yes????

Yes. My 2.66 has been completely 100% trouble free for the past few months. And so quiet too! But so has my Mom's first generation 17" MacBook Pro. When you hear about a lot of "problems" with certain systems, it usually is because the slim percentage of people with problems are the ones who are going to speak up about it.

Way more people have MacBooks than Mac Pros.

2) There have been some comments regarding "updates" for the Mac Pro at WWDC - processors/chipsets/graphics card. A possible gpu upgrade I understand - but what processors/chipsets would be at play for the Mac Pro?

Probably nothing earth shattering. You'll be really happy with your 2.66 Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.