Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doolbr

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
Technically, not a bug, but very annoying that I personally perceive it as a bug:
When moving windows between monitors: for some reason the folks at Apple thought it would be a great idea to only show the window on one monitor, when it should span over both screens.

Also, if you haven't set the monitor arrangement correctly, like moving the smaller resolution monitor to match the top of the monitor of the higher resolution (like this), moving windows from the higher resolution monitor to the lower resolution monitor will not work if you're dragging with your mouse cursor "above" the other monitor. Apple should just recalculate the offset and move the mouse cursor with the window down until the top of the smaller resolution screen.
This might not be a big deal, but it clearly gives a big problem when comparing with retina screens because the difference in resolutions is very big.
As already said, it can be solved to arrange the monitors like the example given, but it would just be better if I don't have to do this extra step.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Technically, not a bug, but very annoying that I personally perceive it as a bug:
When moving windows between monitors: for some reason the folks at Apple thought it would be a great idea to only show the window on one monitor, when it should span over both screens....

When moving I can see on both (see pic). The one I'm moving to does have a see through look to indicate which monitor the program is still attached to.
Screen%20Shot%202013-08-03%20at%206.59.35%20AM.jpg

Doolbr

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
When moving I can see on both (see pic). The one I'm moving to does have a see through look to indicate which monitor the program is still attached to.
And when you drop it, it disappears from one of the monitors, that's not what I want. It should span over both monitors, not be attached to one monitor, at least if they're trying to fix/add multimonitor support.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I've tried deleting certificate from keychain and tried Adium. Neither solutions worked for me. So I am running Messages within 10.7 VM which is far from ideal.

Woa you can run 10.7 in a VM?!

(Any chance you can run 10.6 in a VM? I keep it around for only ONE program).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
And when you drop it, it disappears from one of the monitors, that's not what I want. It should span over both monitors, not be attached to one monitor, at least if they're trying to fix/add multimonitor support.

Now I understand what you want. I think one problem in OS X is the Menubar is at the top instead of on the Window like Windows. The Menubar must be attached to one monitor so the running program must be attached to one monitor. In my example as I pass the ½ way point the Menubar (as well as the program) moves to the other monitor.

Not saying it can't be or shouldn't be done the way you want. Just offering a little plausible reason it may not be done.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Woa you can run 10.7 in a VM?!

(Any chance you can run 10.6 in a VM? I keep it around for only ONE program).
Both Parallel Desktop 8 and VMWare Fusion 5 support OS X 10.5 to 10.8 as guest OS. Having said that, I am not sure if it lets you use OS X version that came out prior to your Mac (i.e., latest MacBook Air may not be able to run 10.5 to 10.7).

illusionmist

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2013
I found that when you go from a fullscreen app into Mission Control, the desktop zooms and you can also get a glimpse of desktop icons fading out (like when you enter MC when not in fullscreen app). Feels glitchy to me.

IIRC in earlier versions the fullscreen app just shrinks to a thumbnail and the Mission Control is shown without the desktop animating? Anybody experiencing this?

scrmtrey

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
Anyone experienced problem with mail app.

I have 2 gmail accounts, one is working good, the other one, when i open mail, it shows no subject, no sender and is empty (no content).

Even if i re-added it , still the same problem. If you got the fix for this , please let me know.

Scottland

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
With DP4, has anyone noticed it forget some settings? i.e It keeps reverting my desktop background and mouse scroll direction every time I boot/restart.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Surprisingly it's running very well on my MacPro5,1, 2012 MacBook Air and Mac Mini, and 2011 iMac. None of the systems have had major issues. The only bugs I've experienced have related to graphics. For example, sometimes a white line (maybe an inch thick) appears just above the dock on my main display, but not on the other two. It's only happened 2-3 times.

I hate to suggest this, but many have found a clean install corrects bugs. This is why I don't like the development changes made with 10.7+. Previously, developers were required to download the full beta and burn it to a DVD (or USB drive), then perform a clean install. Beta's were often biweekly for 1 ½ - 2 years. Performing clean installations allowed for more precise debugging as everyone should be using the exact system which would be less prone to third party plugins and app's. Laying out DP's on top of previous install's seems illogical.

This bothered me a great deal (imagine three displays with it), however it was confirmed by Apple engineers to be correct. Notice the display with the most occupied screen real estate will display the dragged window while the other shows a faint outline and changes as it moves? I posted about this a while back, but someone made a good point about it being related to "Spaces" or "Exposé", I forget what they mentioned but it made perfect sense. I'll have to dig around for that thread.

Last edited:

mbze430

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
I am on DP4.

But I am having a big issue with kernel[0]: Wake reason: EC.DarkPME (User). This keeps happening with the lid closed... I wake up every morning and my Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro VERY warm.

I haven't been able to isolate why it keeps waking up ever 5-10mins.

Some advices?

infoseeker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
Desperate

Hi Developers. I am really desperate to know, how well Logic 9.1.8 or Logic Pro X runs on Mavericks?

I own a mid 2010 8-core mac pro (10gig ram) and I have had an awful experience with both these programs (Logic pro 9 and Logic pro x) on Mountain Lion.

The main issue is visual lag inside the programs. With LP9 it was it's own stock plug-ins that had hugh visual delay when running a few in a chain (Multimeter, meter etc.) on a channel (something which didn't happen when you ran LP9 in snow leopard) and the other was visual start stop lag/delay when playing a song in LPX. Also had visual lag with 3rd party plug (Melodyne).

The main thing I hope to find out from anyone who cares to investigate is, does LPX or LP9 run any snappier on mavericks? Is it's response time faster than it was in my experience with ML? I had amazing response on SL and LP9 and really hope apple has done something about this for the Logic pro crowd.
Thanks so much.

inodes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Have an annoying bug that Apple denies as being a bug.
Bug involves Safari + YouTube (FullScreen mode).

Basically:

1. Run Safari in Mavericks
2. Open YouTube
3. Run any video using the YouTube Full Screen mode

The symptoms varying depending on whether it's
a) Single screen setup
b) Multiple screen setup

I've logged both separately. The latter "multiple screen" has been closed by Apple stating:

23-Aug-2013 08:04 AM Apple Developer Bug Reporting Team :
Engineering has determined that this is not to be fixed.

What the......

Can someone else with a multiple screen confirm this bug?

Summary:
Using iMac with Cinema Display and 10.9 (13A538g). And now latest update
Primary display is iMac on left (which also shows Dock), and secondary Cinema Display is on right (which does not have a Dock).
Safari is moved to secondary display and a YouTube video is displayed using YouTube's "Full Screen" mode.
It correctly fills the secondary screen, but subsequently causes the Dock on the primary screen to auto hide.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use iMac with Cinema Display
2. Ensure Dock is on bottom with no auto hide.
3. Ensure Dock is on Primary Display (iMac) and Dock is not on Secondary Display (Cinema Display)
4. Open Safari Version 7.0 (9537.54.1)
5. Drag Safari onto second display
6. Open http://www.youtube.com and select any video
7. Press on the bottom right "Full Screen" button which shows the video full screen - this should fill the entire secondary display
8. Immediately as 7. is performed, the Dock on the primary display auto hides

Expected Results:

Follow steps 1 to 7 above
8. The dock should not auto hide when something on the secondary display becomes full screen

My response to the "not to be fixed" was this:

The main reason for logging this was because of inconsistent and unexpected UI behaviour.

This is even more important given two main points:

1. Mavericks differs from Mountain Lion with multiple screen behaviour
2. Mavericks main differential selling point is an improvement to multiple screen behaviour

I point firstly to Apple advertising on Mavericks:
http://www.apple.com/au/osx/preview/?cid=wwa-au-kwg-mac

And one of the key points is "Multiple Displays" - hence why I have made an effort to log this case.

Apple advertising states:
"OS X Mavericks takes full advantage of every display connected to your Mac, giving you even more flexibility to work the way you want. There’s no longer a primary or secondary display — now each has its own menu bar, and the Dock is available on whichever screen you’re working on."

With this advertising the key point is:
1. Primary and secondary are independent for "flexibility" - unlike Mountain Lion

Independent means - that an operation on the secondary should not adversely impact the primary (and visa versa)

I have logged this bug mainly because:

1. This is Mavericks
2. This is a multple display bug
3. This bug breaks the independence noted in advertising
4. Mavericks comes with an updated version of Safari
5. Safari breaks independence with the most used webpage (YouTube) and the most used viewing method (FullScreen)
6. This bug will impact majority of user
7. This bug is always reproducible

And worst of all:

8. Firefox - the competitor browser does NOT break the screen independence

Effectively Apple's own browser is break Apple's advertised functionality

----------

In additional to the multiple screens - using only one screen produces an even worse bug:

Summary:
Using iMac and 10.9 (13A538g) and multiple desktops.
Safari opened at a YouTube video then displayed full screen with YouTube's "Full Screen" mode.
It correctly fills the screen.
Magic Trackpad 3 finger swipe gesture used to change to another desktop.
Dock quickly snaps back on desktop containing YouTube and subsequently cancels the 3 finger swipe gesture

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use iMac Magic Trackpad (to access gestures)
2. Ensure Dock is on bottom with no auto hide and that at least 2 desktops exist
3. Open Safari Version 7.0 (9537.54.1)
4. Open http://www.youtube.com and select any video
5. Press on the bottom right "Full Screen" button which shows the video full screen - this fills the entire display and Dock auto hides
6. Swipe on Magic Trackpad with 3 fingers in left motion (which effectively accesses additional desktop)
7. Immediately as 6 is performed, the original desktop snaps back quickly and the dock un-hides, the full screen YouTube is cancelled.

Expected Results:
Follow steps 1 to 6 above.
7. Additional desktop should show and dock should unhide

This occurs in all browsers - Safari and Firefox - so is probably more of a Mavericks UI bug rather than a Safari bug.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Have an annoying bug that Apple denies as being a bug.
Bug involves Safari + YouTube (FullScreen mode).

Quick question, have you tried playing a video on another site (preferably one that uses the default quicktime player in Safari and not a custom one)? Do the same bugs exist on those other sites/players?

You only mention the YouTube player and its FullScreen mode. The reason I ask my question is because even though Firefox may work as you desire it to, if Safari and other sites work properly without displaying those bugs that you mention then it sounds to me like the problem is with the way YouTube handles video and not Safari itself. The fact that Firefox works properly is irrelevant since it might well be ignoring some of the code in YouTube's player (and just because Firefox ignores it doesn't mean Safari should since Apple's position might be it's up to YouTube to regulate what affects it wants to have on your system). If the problem is YouTube exclusive, I don't think it's reasonable to expect Apple to code Safari in such a way to fix issues that YouTube is causing, because then each time a major website causes a conflict or makes a change to their code, Apple now has to play a cat and mouse game to fix their (the other site's) bugs.

Now, granted, Apple could have been more helpful I suppose in telling you why it won't be fixed, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to find out what is the real source of the problem. Is it a problem with Safari (in which case it would happen on all sites and not merely YouTube), or is it third-party apps/extensions/plugins that are causing the issues (in which case hopefully those sites/extensions/etc. will fix their issues by the official launch of Mavericks)?

20mchop

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Missing Space when deleting Files OSX 10.9

When i delete something in OSX mavericks i do not get my space back, finder shows the same number in gigs for my space left on my drive. Deleted an 11 gig file, had 3.3gigs left and it didn't update giving me my 11 gigs back? Checked it with disk utility, repaired permissions, restarted the mac, booted up into recovery partition and still nothing. Can anyone confirm that it is a problem on their system as well?

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Can anyone confirm that it is a problem on their system as well?
I haven't checked every single time I've emptied the trash, but generally speaking, no it is not a problem. I cleaned up some folders this week, and checked several times to confirm how much space I was freeing up. It all seemed right.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Figured I'd post this here, as I consider it a pretty major bug.

Well I like Mavericks, but found something that's super annoying and I hope Apple fixes. FCP X doesn't work well with it at all! It's ProTranscoder Tool keeps dying, or get's stuck at Not Responding. I took this picture yesterday, and after transcoding, processing, and sharing it only took me a total of 5.5 Hours!

For a simple 20 minute video, where all I did was add in sound effects, background music, and some light effects.

My GPU renderer keeps reporting as Not Responding as well, and it seems to die during work.

I suspect it's Mavericks new CPU processing Idling feature, where it sees the tools, and programs as idling because I leave it to work. So it idles the processes, and can't kick in vital tools and processes afterwards.

Only fix I found was to sit and wait out a process to finish and save, then quit, and relaunch FCPX, then do the next part, and repeat until I get it all done.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Figured I'd post this here, as I consider it a pretty major bug.

Well I like Mavericks, but found something that's super annoying and I hope Apple fixes. FCP X doesn't work well with it at all! It's ProTranscoder Tool keeps dying, or get's stuck at Not Responding. I took this picture yesterday, and after transcoding, processing, and sharing it only took me a total of 5.5 Hours!

For a simple 20 minute video, where all I did was add in sound effects, background music, and some light effects.

[url=http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/N19h7m4r3/Tech%20-%20Geekiness/FCPXerror_zpsb91ac629.png]Image[/URL]

My GPU renderer keeps reporting as Not Responding as well, and it seems to die during work.

I suspect it's Mavericks new CPU processing Idling feature, where it sees the tools, and programs as idling because I leave it to work. So it idles the processes, and can't kick in vital tools and processes afterwards.

Only fix I found was to sit and wait out a process to finish and save, then quit, and relaunch FCPX, then do the next part, and repeat until I get it all done.

If it is the app nap feature causing it, then the program author could update the program to not use app nap. AFAIK they designed the app nap API with a way to have programs exclude themselves from it for cases like this.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
If it is the app nap feature causing it, then the program author could update the program to not use app nap. AFAIK they designed the app nap API with a way to have programs exclude themselves from it for cases like this.

Well Apple did announce a new version of FCP X for with the new Mac Pro, I hope the new version is all they're making it out to be.

It's rather annoying that Apple's own software is having problems with their App Nap API. It's drastically slowed down any work.

ehych

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
When i delete something in OSX mavericks i do not get my space back, finder shows the same number in gigs for my space left on my drive. Deleted an 11 gig file, had 3.3gigs left and it didn't update giving me my 11 gigs back? Checked it with disk utility, repaired permissions, restarted the mac, booted up into recovery partition and still nothing. Can anyone confirm that it is a problem on their system as well?

My system has a delay of somewhere between 5-10secs to show the actual disk space after I delete something, it isn't instant as with mountain lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.