Current MBP owners who plan to upgrade to Sandy Bridge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamacbsh, Nov 26, 2010.

1. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

what do you have? will you be selling it or just adding to the collection? if selling, how much do you expect to get back?

2. onlymybiribiri macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

I have an old 2006 MBP, I'd like to upgrade but do not know if I will be able to afford it.

3. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

i7 2.66 mid 2010

HELZ NO!! This thing is crazy fast for my needs, complete over kill. I only use the processing power when compressing in Handbrake, otherwise this thing just idles all day.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Base model mid-2010 13" here. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on what the new specs will be. Definitely interested in upgrading, and if I do, I'll definitely be selling the old one to help fund it.

5. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2010 13" MBP. I will be upgrading if the next iteration of 13" MBPs use i5 processors.

6. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I have an early 2009 15" mbp. I will be upgrading to Sandy Bridge hopefully :)

I just hope the update is exciting (meaning Apple takes away the DVD drive, increases battery, has a better gpu, or slims the thing radically).

I want something exciting to happen and not just a processor update and nothing else changed.

SSD drives standard would be great too.

Otherwise, I may go iMac if the Sandy Bridge mbp's aren't that exciting.

7. onlymybiribiri macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

I am so jealous of all of you who can afford to upgrade

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

If you keep yours in like new condition, you can sell it and get a fairly high price and use that to put toward a new system.

But for people who keep their computers for years and years, the re-sell value isn't that high.

I usually just keep mine until the warranty runs out. In my case, I didn't buy Applecare (I should have), but my Discover card provides an additional year of warranty like how American Express does.

So I'll ditch it after the extra year of warranty runs out. If I wait until it breaks to sell it, it'll be worthless.

9. ryanrich macrumors regular

Same here. I don't think I'll be replacing my i7 for quite a while... Next on the list for me would be an SSD or 8GB RAM upgrade...

10. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

I'll be upgrading from a mid 2009 13" MBP. I'm mostly upgrading because of the graphics card. I need something better than the 9400 and ill be upgrading if and only if they get rid of the optical drive and include SSD as standard.

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I might, depending on what the final specs are as well as how much I could expect to get for my current one, specs in my sig. Hopefully at least 80% of what I paid for it. However, I don't think next years MBPs will be anything amazing, unless they add something like light peak and SSDs ala MBA as standard with little to no price change. If that happens, I will seriously consider upgrading.

Sorry if my post doesn't make sense I'm kind of baked

12. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

2010 2.66 15"

I will upgrade if and only if:

13" gets an i5 and significantly better gpu
    or will get the new 15" if there is a decent design change (slimmer, no optical drive, etc).

the 13" thing may happen, doubt it with the 15" though.

13. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

2010 i7 2.8ghz- I will upgrade if they put a half decent gpu in their, don't care about the cpu really. (The computer was a replacement so i didn't pay for it)

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed. Many of the respondants state that they own a 2010 laptop and will spring for a new one in less then a year

15. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I'm planning to. Currently on an early 2009 17" 2.66 C2D.... I need more processing power and better graphics card would be nice (I do 3d modeling/architectural design, and I can hang my comp up easily due to model complexities)...
    Besides it is my final year of being a student so I want to take advantage of that discount one more time :D
    I would be looking at the top end 17, hopefully the graphics card is not another 330 or 335... looking for a nice strong card this time (likely won't be though)

16. NomadicTy macrumors regular

I have a late 2007 15" mbp, and I'm waiting for lightpeak and SATA 6 gb/s. With the disappearance of the option of eSATA through Expresscards, I mainly have to worry about fast connectivity to external drives (which, in opinion, is also the main worry for anyone with a fast enough laptop) .

Other than that, I don't see a reason to upgrade it yet. I use mainly Safari, Skype, and Lightroom. It does get hot and loud when I transcode in Handbrake, but that's not so critical that it can't wait. I don't do any transcoding unless I'm about to go to bed or go to work.

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Sometimes it makes more economical sense to upgrade sooner. You get a heck of a lot more resale value on a computer that's only a year old. If you continue to buy at the same price point each year, like the base 13" for example at 1199, you can get a new laptop every year for only a few hundred. To me that makes more sense than waiting 3-4 years and having to come up with all that money all over again, and trying your hardest to sell your old laptop that's not really at all current anymore.

18. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

2009 2.66 ...

I will only upgrade if it comes with USB 3.0.

I find my current machine pretty damn fast already, so it has to be a substantial change (like a carbon fiber unibody) to make me upgrade.

19. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Mid 2010 MBP 13" base model. I keep my laptops for approx. 3 years come hell or high water. Apple will have to introduce a major upgrade to convince me to get off schedule. Of course, my wife is eye-balling a MBP to replace her PC laptop...hmmm? Don't guess I'll do the switch-a-roo, as she'll be wise to my shenanigans!

Todays MBP works just fine for my needs (blazing fast...even with the Core 2 Duo). Like another poster said, unless I'm compressing with Handbrake, this computer idles all day long...and I try to maximize multitasking on it.

Alas...it would be nice trying to stay on the technology wave, but my time and energy prevent me from doing so (there is always something better around the corner). I guess I'll wait until the mid 2013 model...hope it's a good one!

Cosmo

20. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I upgrade every year and generally don't get computers with extended warrantie. As a note, I generally buy used on craigslist. Sell high, buy low. :p

I highly doubt that I spend much more than those who buy from Apple with AppleCare every 3 years. In fact, I probably spend less.

21. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I only bought my C2D 2.4 13" this June when they were upgraded last. I probably won't upgrade again for at least a year and a half. Maybe 2. I'm hoping by then they'll be so much further advanced, but for now I will stick with this one. As for reselling, well I guess it depends on how well it holds up. My previous computer was a 2007 white MacBook that didn't make it past 2 years before it started falling apart. Almost unresellable. Not that it doesn't work, it just doesn't work well. Maybe as a parts only as-is. Hopefully I'll be luckier with the Pro and will be able to resell it for something at least.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'll keep my Mac if there are no major issues.

23. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i'm going to sell mine, and i expect to get original price back. (their are a lot of dumb people on ebay and CL)