Current PowerPC setup

laylow

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
I agree. The iMac G3 is my favorite line of macs. I'm picking up a lime one in San Diego when I'm there for work in a couple weeks.

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hm. I much prefer the iMac G4's design actually. I think it looks so cute and elegant and inviting. I have both a G3 and a G4. I like the G3, don't get me wrong, but CRTs isn't really me to be honest.

laylow

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
Hm. I much prefer the iMac G4's design actually. I think it looks so cute and elegant and inviting. I have both a G3 and a G4. I like the G3, don't get me wrong, but CRTs isn't really me to be honest.
I grew up in the warm glow of CRTs. Mac Plus, IIe, Classic II, Macintosh TV, Centris 650, etc. I didn't have an LCD until well into the 2000s.

Reactions: eyoungren

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Man I like extra power on a desktop, is that old G3 still useable? Running a Intel 6950X @ 4.5Ghz all (10/20) cores,
On custom loop, 128GB ddr4 3200. And a Titan XP 12GB.

laylow

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
It's basically useless for browsing the internet. I use it for IRC, listening to podcasts, streaming music, editing audio in Audacity, old games in Classic, and some Photoshop CS2 and 7.0

Reactions: Dronecatcher

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Didn't get my first flat LCD for myself until 2010 or so. Trying to get dual CRTs in a small space was always fun. :(
CRT monitors offered the best picture you could get for a long time. It really took LCD, or flat panel monitors a long time to even compare.. I started building computers and overclocking around the 2002 era lol. So, I’ve had my fair share of CRT monitors. I always liked CRT. No need for it anymore. But they were still a large part of my history in computers.

ViewSonic offered some of the best CRT monitors at a high resolution too and in a large format. 2048x1536 resolution, with a flat glass screen of 20-24” inches. These things were massive! But, they were great displays.

To this day LCD technology sucks.

If your buying a gaming monitor for a PC, you have (2) choices IPS, or TN.

IPS suffers from IPS glow, and back light bleed. There is just no such thing as a perfect monitor.

TN doesn’t have these issues, but color accuracy is terrible, and TN has the worst viewing angle around. Colors completely shifts on you when viewing at a angle.

I just don’t get how apple can make an IPad Pro 3rd gen with such a perfect panel. No dead pixels, no light bleeding, no distortion around the edges, with near perfect calibration and incredible viewing angles.

You can go spend $2,000 bucks for the best desktop monitor money can buy a 4K 144Hz 27” Gsync panel and it cannot hold a candle to the iPad Pro Display..

It makes no sense.

So yea CRT was great. The only downside it has was being big lol.

laylow

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
It's true this CRT iMac is big, but on the plus side, it's keeping my office nice and warm tonight.
[doublepost=1548555669][/doublepost]A wider view. I need to clean the left side off. It's a dump ground for cables and junk right now.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I’m a new found apple fanboy. So, older apple stuff is just so unfamiliar to me. What made me appreciate apple the most is the smooth OS experience that can stay running smooth even on a very low end system. So I can definitely see how your still using something even though it is so dated, the apple operating system does very well with aging hardware it seems. It usually stays pretty smooth throughout the systems life.

Unlike windows, I’m pretty OCD about optimal performance, so I’m reformatting my PC, if a fly farts on my keyboard the wrong way lol.

Reactions: Traace

laylow

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
My work computers are all Intel. Thinkpad T520, i7, Xubuntu. Thinkpad L380 Yoga, i5, Xbuntu. Thinkpad E485, Ryzen 7 2700u, Windows 10 Pro.

But for leisure time, I'll take a PowerPC mac any day of the week

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I’m a new found apple fanboy. So, older apple stuff is just so unfamiliar to me. What made me appreciate apple the most is the smooth OS experience that can stay running smooth even on a very low end system. So I can definitely see how your still using something even though it is so dated, the apple operating system does very well with aging hardware it seems. It usually stays pretty smooth throughout the systems life.

Unlike windows, I’m pretty OCD about optimal performance, so I’m reformatting my PC, if a fly farts on my keyboard the wrong way lol.
If you stick with software that is either period or universal (meaning it can run on both PowerPC and Intel) then things should stay fairly smooth.

It's when you start getting into later versions of software that are not optimized like they could or should have been that you start having problems.

You also have to modify your expectations. Recognizing what can and can't be done, how long it takes and planning for it can help remove frustration.

Give the Mac a use that's solidly within it's capability or that you can workaround so it is, and you will be amazed what these old Macs can do.

laylow

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
For a while my mic for podcast recording was in that corner, but I've rearranged and haven't moved the foam yet.

Reactions: Dronecatcher