Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malenfant

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
So what is the current rumour about when the Mac Pro is going to be refreshed with new CPUs/features/prices? I am seriously considering ordering one, but I don't want to order now and then find out a month from now that there are new, faster models and that I could have gotten a faster CPU/etc. for the same price.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
So what is the current rumour about when the Mac Pro is going to be refreshed with new CPUs/features/prices? I am seriously considering ordering one, but I don't want to order now and then find out a month from now that there are new, faster models and that I could have gotten a faster CPU/etc. for the same price.

I don't know of any real rumors, just speculation based on CPU cost and GPU cost. But there's been no leaked info or hints yet.

I figure there will be something by the end of the year, at least an announcement.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
With the annual January event it is unlikely that it would be end of year. It will be by Nov. or in Jan. I would not expect anything in Dec.

They could have dropped all clovertowns in there this week and upped the Ram and I would have been happy, but I can wait a little longer. Some folks can't.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
It would just be incredible if Jobs made the dreams come true and released the revision in September. That way he can say, "How awesome would it be to run leopard on this bad boy?" I'm giving him til September 25th. If no announcement... I buy.

macpro8

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
With the annual January event it is unlikely that it would be end of year. It will be by Nov. or in Jan. I would not expect anything in Dec.

They could have dropped all clovertowns in there this week and upped the Ram and I would have been happy, but I can wait a little longer. Some folks can't.

i'm waiting also, maybe will see something by leopard release, i probably will hold off until maybe after macworld 08 to buy mac

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
well the proc updates were the 7th, right?

So Apple orders them on the 7th, it takes 2 weeks to get their production shifted to the new parts, and then it they start shipping

... so my new rumor is: 21st?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I don't know of any real rumors, just speculation based on CPU cost and GPU cost. But there's been no leaked info or hints yet.

I figure there will be something by the end of the year, at least an announcement.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I was going to say if nothing happens in the next few weeks Apple are surely waiting for the next generation of Intel workstation components, but the more I think about it, I don't think there will be any changes until we see a penryn based Mac Pro, probably in October or November. Announced in october, before leopard, shipping in November after Leopard would be my guess.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
well the proc updates were the 7th, right?

So Apple orders them on the 7th, it takes 2 weeks to get their production shifted to the new parts, and then it they start shipping

... so my new rumor is: 21st?

Processor pricing was updated on the 29th, originally slated for the 22nd. Apple seem to have a very nice relationship with Intel, I think if Apple had wanted what many here have been hoping for, doing it on the Mac Pro's 1 year anniversary (7th) would have been easy for them.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
If the Apple MP line-up is the same until January I am afraid that is just too big a slap in the face. By then I will never buy an Apple again. I dont support companies with bad work ethic. I dont need an Apple to run OSx if I have to.

Anyway, I think it will be Sept personally. The Imac just got updated .. about 13 months after it's last update there is no reason why the same can not be done for Mac Pro being Sept is 13 months.

Also, I really don't see a big advantage to going out of the way to release the Mac Pro with Leopard. Not many "Pro" are going to be running their money-making machine on a brand new OS. Especially when many projects that may need finished were started on 10.4. For example I use certain software to do band recording.. it will not be updated for 10.5 until probably next year. Why would I take existing projects or even new ones to a brand new OS and "hope" all the 10.4 compatible software works fine? I think lining up a computer with a new OS is more of a consumer thing to do. So I am going with Sept.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Jeez man, calm down....Apple doesn't have to cater such a small percentage of users who want the latest and greatest. What do you plan to do with a better graphics card? Play games? Build a PC for that....or use what Apple has.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Jeez man, calm down....Apple doesn't have to cater such a small percentage of users who want the latest and greatest. What do you plan to do with a better graphics card? Play games? Build a PC for that....or use what Apple has.

I just want a graphics card that doesn't get up to 70C five minutes into a 3D-intense app and then start showing artifacts shortly afterwards unless I modify the fan speeds to "Jet engine" to compensate.

The X1900 is the only real graphics option, and it's practically on fire or deafening me half the time I'm using it.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007

It is not about latest and greatest at all! No.. I am not focused on games. I said work ethic. IF Apple is still selling the same machine in Jan I think it is bad work ethic. If I can buy the sum of parts in a Mac Pro for 1200$ off Newegg and that machine through Apple is 2500$ that is rude of Apple to corner people into that price. And yes it is cornering people because no one else makes Apple or OSx machines. But I dont think it will get this bad because I dont think Apple is that dumb.. but you can never be too sure. This is just based on if Apple is still selling these machines the same in January. I dont think Apple can or should be expected to drop prices right after Intel does.. but by Sept hell yes.

Apple also forces anyone who wants a Mac and needs a desktop without a monitor and expandable hard drives to buy a Mac Pro. That means a lot of people are buying Mac Pro when they are overkill and can probably barely afford them.. so that is why a lot of people are complaining. Sure, if you make a lot of money with your Mac Pro on a regular basis then these complaints seem small. You have to consider ALL kinds of people that want or have to buy a Mac Pro.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Processor pricing was updated on the 29th, originally slated for the 22nd. Apple seem to have a very nice relationship with Intel, I think if Apple had wanted what many here have been hoping for, doing it on the Mac Pro's 1 year anniversary (7th) would have been easy for them.

So 14 days from the 29th would be the 12th of this month.

Next week? Is that so unfeasible?

Didn't Intel say they were going to crack down on their 'special partners' like Dell and Apple because their deals were so good, Intel didn't meet earnings expectations?

Don't write it off yet. It's still possible.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006

Or wait.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I don't know about you guys, but I am getting tired of waiting. And I have quite a few personal projects I've put off because my 12" Powerbook just doesnt have the power I need.

I am seriously considering buying and then EBaying it once the new ones come out eventually.

I've got 300 in gift cards + the student discount. I don't know...... I'm wavering.

I am so infuriated with Apple. :mad:

DZL

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
done waiting

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting tired of waiting. And I have quite a few personal projects I've put off because my 12" Powerbook just doesnt have the power I need.

I am seriously considering buying and then EBaying it once the new ones come out eventually.

I've got 300 in gift cards + the student discount. I don't know...... I'm wavering.

I am so infuriated with Apple. :mad:

wild bill, i'm done waiting - got mine coming monday. however, if apple updates before the end of the year, i will trade mine in (thru powermax.com), and get the updated mac pro.

life is too short to try and do freelance jobs with a sub-par machine. my last job could've been done in half the time if i had a mac pro -- a simple decision for me.

but just remember, it isn't the end of the world if you buy now - just trade in (or ebay, or whatever), and get the updated machine - no harm done.

DZL.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I just want a graphics card that doesn't get up to 70C five minutes into a 3D-intense app and then start showing artifacts shortly afterwards unless I modify the fan speeds to "Jet engine" to compensate.

The X1900 is the only real graphics option, and it's practically on fire or deafening me half the time I'm using it.

I use Cinema4D, and have zero issues. What do you use that gives you artifacts??? You guys gotta remember that the latest and greatest video cards run much hotter than the ATI X1900...because they have higher clock speeds and are newer generation.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
It is not about latest and greatest at all! No.. I am not focused on games. I said work ethic. IF Apple is still selling the same machine in Jan I think it is bad work ethic. If I can buy the sum of parts in a Mac Pro for 1200$ off Newegg and that machine through Apple is 2500$ that is rude of Apple to corner people into that price. And yes it is cornering people because no one else makes Apple or OSx machines. But I dont think it will get this bad because I dont think Apple is that dumb.. but you can never be too sure. This is just based on if Apple is still selling these machines the same in January. I dont think Apple can or should be expected to drop prices right after Intel does.. but by Sept hell yes.

Apple also forces anyone who wants a Mac and needs a desktop without a monitor and expandable hard drives to buy a Mac Pro. That means a lot of people are buying Mac Pro when they are overkill and can probably barely afford them.. so that is why a lot of people are complaining. Sure, if you make a lot of money with your Mac Pro on a regular basis then these complaints seem small. You have to consider ALL kinds of people that want or have to buy a Mac Pro.

That's why they have the iMac 17" if you don't want to spend that much money. Apple knows that some people want desktops, so they have the Mac Pro line....and even the cheapest one is a professional workstation.

It clearly says "64-bit Xeon Workstation" on the Mac Pro box...That's like investing in an HP xw8400 and saying that all kinds of people are buying it??? Doesn't make sense. CPU and RAM alone on the Mac Pro is workstation/server level.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Doesn't make sense. CPU and RAM alone on the Mac Pro is workstation/server level.

In November I will be buying a new Mac Pro.
This is what it will look like:

8-core Mac Pro with two 3.16GHz quad-core Harpertown processors
4 500GB hard drives
8GB worth of memory
An ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT video card
(which is 2.538461538462 times more powerful than your X1900 XT card)

It makes sense to me as an excellent all-around all-in-one computer!!!

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
That's why they have the iMac 17" if you don't want to spend that much money. Apple knows that some people want desktops, so they have the Mac Pro line....and even the cheapest one is a professional workstation.

An Imac will NOT do what I NEED out of a computer. I am mainly forced, simply because I need a lot of internal HD storage, to buy a Mac Pro! Yet I don't need that second processor (and can barely afford it) that adds 600-700$ to the price tag. How do you not understand this? There are people that an Imac wil absolutely not work for.. yet a Mac Pro is overkill. So where does that leave us? One should not have to pay 2000+$ just because they need an expandable desktop. An expandable desktop does not make you "pro" or a "workstation". There is a gap here in the Apple line wether you want to acknowledge it or not.

It clearly says "64-bit Xeon Workstation" on the Mac Pro box...That's like investing in an HP xw8400 and saying that all kinds of people are buying it??? Doesn't make sense. CPU and RAM alone on the Mac Pro is workstation/server level.

I agree the Mac Pro is a workstation.. when did I not? There are different levels of workstations of course. a 1500$ desktop could be called a workstation too. Especially with how cheap processors/ram are now. There are a lot of people that need a cheaper level of workstation. Something with maybe one processor and a motherboard that only goes to 8gb. If one Apple is not good enough and the next is overkill.. that is a GAP.

I bet most of the people that say a midrange desktop is silly would turn around and applaud Apple if released. Lol. Like it is not a good idea until Apple gives stamp of approval. I guess my answer is just ebay a second gen Mac. Well that will be easier once the current lineup goes second gen :)

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
That's why they had the iMac 17" if you don't want to spend that much money. Apple knows that some people want desktops, so they have the Mac Pro line....and even the cheapest one is a professional workstation.

Fixed

malenfant

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Hmm. I guess I'll wait until Sept 25th, since some people seem to think there will be changes around that time.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I use Cinema4D, and have zero issues. What do you use that gives you artifacts??? You guys gotta remember that the latest and greatest video cards run much hotter than the ATI X1900...because they have higher clock speeds and are newer generation.

C&C3 for one, a few other games too (when I have time). I also ran an artifacts test the other day which went off the charts (and heated the whole room up).

While newer cards may have higher clock, they also have better cooling and I'm sure the NVidia's have a better performance/watt.

I seriously doubt new cards have the heating issues the x1900 has.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
C&C3 for one, a few other games too (when I have time). I also ran an artifacts test the other day which went off the charts (and heated the whole room up).

While newer cards may have higher clock, they also have better cooling and I'm sure the NVidia's have a better performance/watt.

I seriously doubt new cards have the heating issues the x1900 has.

You have flashed PC version of the X1900...ever thought that could be the problem??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.