Custom Built Computer - Can I go with Mac OS X Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by logansosa, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logansosa macrumors newbie

I am new to mac (currently have pc) and I am thinking of building my first computer from scratch, I have done considerable research (though I am far from being competent in the computer building department) but I want to know if I can custom build with a Mac OS X, I have put together a list of what Configurations I want to go with. I will be running Final Cut Pro so I wanted a bad ass desktop with OS X Tiger, then I would also buy a MacBook because I have to have my laptop. Here is the LIST:

Case:Antec Performance One P150 White Midsize Tower: $115.75
    ATX - 8 Bays - 430w Power Supply
    Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard: $201.99
    Core 2 Duo LGA 775, P965 express, 8Gb DDR2, 1066Mhz FSB
    CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Duol Core Processor $224.90
    2.4Ghz, 4MB 1066Mhz FSB, LGA 775
    Article Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Heatsink $28.92
    Hard Drive:WD Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive $116.90
    Serial ATA-300, 7200 rpm, 16MB
    Optical Drive:Lite-onLH-20A1H Dual Layer DVD+-RW Writer $43.41
    16x/8x/20x DVD+R DVD-R
    Graphics Card:eVGA GeForce 7600GT KO Video Card $127.27
    256MB, PCI Express X 16, Dual DVI
    And all soundcards I saw specifically noted Windows as the operating system.
    I might have overlooked many of these items as well as being only windows compatible, but I made an effort to search for Operating system compatability but most of these did not list any compatability requirements for Operating Systems, Any help would be great,

Thanks
    Logan

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Short answer: No.

Long answer: We can't really talk about the long answer on MacRumors :eek:

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not legally, and if you get it running its not going to be smooth...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot legally install any version of OSX on any non-Apple manufactured machine.

5. iTim314 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure there's no legal way to install Mac OS X on anything other than Apple Hardware.

EDIT>> Wow, While typing, 3 other people beat me to it.

6. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

We don't talk about that here. Google x86
    Sorry

7. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Hi Logan,

you want a bad ass desktop for FCP? Save yourself the trouble (instead of a few bucks) and get a Mac Pro.
    Custom build +OSX is not the answer (nor legal).

8. logansosa thread starter macrumors newbie

Too bad

Wow, I had no idea, it just seems that custom building is the best for a desktop, and I am really tired of windows, but I was already leaning heavily toward the MacBook Pro, I will wait for a couple months (or unitl the update) then purchase a Pro, sorry if I suggested something that was illegal, like I said, I am new to Mac, and I am extremely ancy due to my long overdue contempt for Windows.

Thanks
    Logan

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Its hard. I have a very nice Core 2 Duo gaming system that I wish I could run OSX on. It now just sits in my desk never being utilized since I got my MBP a few months back.

10. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Its not illegal just agenst the EULA. I dont think it would stand up in court in the USA never mind anyware else in the world. The OSX86 works and is as stable as a real mac however it takes a lot of work to get everything working and you have to be really careful with your hardware choices.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So, it's not illegal, just legally inadvisable.

Underscore a lot of work and familiarity with the OS.

12. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Well i had it installed in 30 minutes fully working without any hand codeing, messing with any drivers or any other hacks, it just worked and worked well.

13. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Right. The EULA is simply a contract (usually referred to by courts as a "shrinkwrap contract"). You break the contract, you're liable. It's not illegal, though.

However, if you violate provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in an attempt to break the contract (i.e. circumvent Apple's DRM built into the OS), then you would be committing an illegal act, and would also be breaking the contract. ;-)

(disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just a measly 2L law student)

14. logansosa thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Illegal huh, maybe I'll just run XP on it for ease

I might just go ahead with the system anyways and run Windows. Should I run XP or Vista when building that system, and is that system a decent build, i.e. compativle and effecient with each other? As I stated, it would be my first built computer. But I won't be gaming much, I want a great system that I could game if I want to, and video editing and graphics.

What do you think about the build?

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Any reason why you have to build your own? Sure, it could probably be fun, for a while...

Mac's look stunning, and run OS X. They can run Windows too, should you need it. Maybe you should direct your PC-building energies at switching to Mac instead?

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I find it hard to believe you started with an un-touched PC and a copy of OS X, finishing with a PC running OS X, in under 30 minutes with no hacks or drivers or anything to mess with whatsoever.

17. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

If you're interested in a high power machine, why not just go for the Mac Pro?
    If that's not a worry what's wrong with the iMacs?

They're such classy machines and much more so than any machine that you can build.

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yeah I doubt it too. If was that easy, then a lot more people would be doing it.

19. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Thats a pretty BS video card, get a $170 8600GTS off amazon or newegg

Only if your gonna run windows vista, cause its dx10 and will handle all the resource hogging vista needs.
    Or just go with a 7900 for xp.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You'll find that it was a "pre-patched" copy of OS X. There are CDs out there with all the hacks and drivers and stuff built into the installer, so you can just "click Go" like you would on a real Mac.

21. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

The only "illegal" part (as pointed out it is simply a breach of contract) is running the UI on a non-Apple computer. If you want to run Terminal with no graphic enhancements at all (not exactly ideal for FCP :D ) there is no contract breach.

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

logansosa, first of all you've forgotten RAM in your specifications. Add a gig of RAM and you're basically in iMac territory. Although the 17" 2.0Ghz model is a couple of hundred bucks more, you do get a mouse, keyboard and screen. In my experience building computers is too much of a hassle these days. I always used to build my own but I feel that these days technology just moves too damned quickly for everything to get along smoothly. I don't plan on building a computer for myself ever again. Pre-built and with full support all the way!

I've also done the whole install OS X on a PC thing before, way back before official Intel machines came out. While I don't condone it, I'm all for people giving it a try if it convinces them to buy Apple hardware. About a month after I installed it on my custom built machine I'd bought a Mac Mini, a few months later I'd bought an iBook for my girlfriend and myself and a few months after that I bought a Mac Pro + ACD. While the hassles of installing OS X on an unsupported machine and all the driver problems meant I wasn't happy using it as my main OS, it did convince me that OS X was the way to go and I decided to get rid of all my old PC hardware.
    If someone that's already got a machine installs OS X on their machine and that then convinces them to switch to OS X then I'm all for that. If people are specifically speccing out new machines in order to install OS X on them then I'm *very* much against it.

23. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Yip your right it was as simple to install on my custom build than it was to reinstall my mac mini, it was just a little faster on my custom build. And the no sayers also say linux is hard, windows is hard, gimp sucks, openoffice sucks. its all the same argument, "i havent done it so no one else can"

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Which... is illegal as a violation of copyright on Apple's OSX materials...

and around it goes...

BTW: To the OP, if you want to be your own support department and do a TON of futzing around looking for drivers and updates, go with Vista. If you only want to do a LOT of futzing around, go with XP.
    That's generally the reason people don't want to go with a build your own. Well that and the time it takes. And the not having a warranty on the thing as a whole. And dealing with 4 or 5 different vendors for parts. And the troubleshooting. And the lack of bundled software (although with all the cr@pware you get on HP and Dell machines, that could be a plus).
    Don't forget to price Windows as well as RAM into your machine.

25. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

if you go self build you usually get a better warrenty than buying a computer, for instence a intel processor has a lifetime warrenty as do a lot of graphics cards, gigabyte motherboards have a 3-5 year warrenty and some come with all solid state capasitors, and seagate provide 5 year warrentys also. this beats the apple 1 year warrenty hands down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.