Custom Icons for Aliases, Drives, anything?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Is there any way to assign a custom icon to an alias, or to anything? I've been searching around trying to figure it out, but can't seem to see if this can be done in OSX.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Put the image you want to use on the clipboard (ex: if open in Preview, do cmd-C (Copy)). Get Info on the file/alias you want to change. Click on the icon. Paste.

edit: if it's an icon for another file you want to use, the Get Info on it, select the icon, then cmd-c (copy).

3. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

er yes

Thaught I would be a bit poncy and just redirect you to a suitable page on the apple support site, but they don't seem to be so easy to find as I guess you already knew.

So try this...

1 Select the icon file (or the thing with the icon you want to copy) with a single click

2 Press ⌘i

3 Select the icon picture at the top of the freshly opened information window with a single click. The icon should get a blue halo.

4 Press ⌘c (copy)

5 Select the file / shortcut you want to change the icon of in finder with a single click.

6 Press ⌘i

7 Select the icon picture at the top of the freshly opened information window with a single click. The icon should get a blue halo.

8 Press ⌘v

Chango presto!

Yes it is a little long winded (8 clicks apple? Blimeys!), and doesn't actually work with everything, but it works fine for shortcuts / documents and the like. I especially like making custom icons for web pages and putting them on my task bar for five minutes until I realise quite how futile it all is.
    I would however recommend coughing up for candy bar if you want to change all your icons at once- this can also change all the tricky ones (trash can etc.).

http://www.panic.com/candybar/

I say recommend- obviously not in a court of law. :rolleyes: