Custom iMacs and Apple Stores.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleiBoy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. AppleiBoy macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Looking at getting an iMac with the SSD. Can you order these through Apple Retail Stores, instead of online. Would rather purchase in-store then online. Anyone had any experience with this?
    Thanks!

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

As far as I can remember, the retail stores never custom built Macs onsite. What you can do at the retail store is use the Macs there to order through Apple's online store but you can do the same thing at home. You could call your local Apple retail store and ask...

You could also buy a stock iMac and install an SSD yourself after market. Just follow the guide through ifixit.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

4. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Even when you go into the Apple store and order a Mac they will put you in front of an iMac and send you to the online Apple Store to order what you want.

5. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Keep in mind that the BTO iMacs with SSD are specially made and have a bit more room.

I have heard of people having trouble with SSD installations because of this. It is possible, but just more difficult.

Good Luck!

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Whaaaa?!?! This is news to me and also the most farfetched thing I've heard on here since 7pm tonight. :eek:

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Well I was reading a thread on here where a guy went to an Apple certified technician and they tried to install a certain SSD and failed. They didn't charge him and he returned his iMac and bought a BTO one online. He measured both and said there was a little more room on the BTO one and seemed very confident in what he said.

But I guess I should take what people say on here with a grain a salt? Lesson learned?

8. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I bought a custom iMac, but had to do it over the phone. Use the number on the Apple site (top left of the screen unless the have moved it) It's better to talk to an expert when speccing up a Mac.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

An expert lol, you mean a customer service employee making less than $12/hr to take an order.