Custom MBP in Apple stores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by costaricaapple, Jul 6, 2007.

1. costaricaapple macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    I am flying to the US(Miami) next week from Costa Rica and planning on buying a new 17" High Res. MBP with 250GB and western spanish keyboard.
    Do you think i can get that from an Apple store(not online)?

2. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

As far as I am aware, you can only get the stock options at the store. Custom configurations must be purchased online.

3. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Currently, you have the option to upgrade RAM at Apple Stores.

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

You have the option to purchase the RAM and have them install it. Meaning, you can purchase RAM from them AFTER you purchase the computer, and pay full price for the entire amount (so, if your MBP comes with 1gb and you want 4gb, you have to buy 2 2gb sticks from the Apple store. You then get your 1gb stick back. If you do this online, Apple simply charges you to get the 2 x 2gb sticks, and you never see the 1gb stick it would have originally come with).

Edit: Still, they usually won't install hard drives for you, and don't keep components like that in stock.

5. costaricaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i buy it online and get it next day or in 2 days?
    I dont have a US address credit card so i will have to get it with a friend once i am in the US and i am only staying for 5 days before coming back to Costa
    Rica

6. costaricaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

...or can you go to the Apple store and order it custom through them?

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

My experience was that after being told the price (my MacBook would have cost £70 pound more that way than ordering it online) and complaining about the price difference, they matched the price from the website. In the end, in your example, if they install the 2 x 2GB sticks for the price difference and keep the old 1GB stick in their spare parts box, they still make a lot more profit than if you bought a Mac with 1GB only.

Just reading that you are there for a very short time only: Whether they give you the better price or not depends on whether they want to or not. If they think you don't buy at the higher price, you'll get the lower price. If they think you will buy at the higher price, you won't get the lower price. So don't tell them you are there for five days only because then you have no choice.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the Apple stores will help you order a custom configuration but that basically means they'll get on the phone or go online with you to help you order.

A friend recently wanted to have his custom macbook shipped to a local store here in Los Angeles for him to pick up but they wouldn't do that.

Your best bet may be to order it earlier than your trip and have it shipped to you at your friend's house so you can get it while you're visiting

9. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Well, going back to what the OP asked, he's wanting to upgrade the HDD and keyboard. So, whether they match the price on a ram upgrade is a moot point.

You can get 2nd day shipping, but the thing is, that doesn't take into account build time. I just went to Apple.com, and if you choose the 17" with the high-def screen and a 250gb HDD, the build time is 2-4 days. So, if you were to order it on a Monday, it could easily ship that day, but could also ship as late as Thursday. Then, since you can only get as high as second-day shipping, that puts its arrival date on the following Monday. So, yes, you can order it online once you're in the country, but there's a good chance it won't arrive until after you're gone. It could come in time, and it might not. And their shipping times may change by the time you need to place your order as well.

I actually believe you can do this, but it would have the same problems as I mentioned above.

If you really need to order it in the US, and you have a friend here who's going to have to give you access to his CC anyway, I would say your best bet would be to contact your friend before coming to the country and get him/her to go ahead and order it beforehand. Then, you can simply pick it up from him/her once you are in the country. You can try some of the other options above, but you will have a good chance of not getting it in time.

10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

can you even get a western spanish keyboard in the US? I didn't know that was an option.

11. costaricaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

this was my first post here and i am really grateful for the replys!

12. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

What, the Authorized Apple Retailer at MultiPlaza in Escazu doesn't do it for you?

13. costaricaapple thread starter macrumors newbie

never thought of that! i am going there later... thanks!!