Custom ringtones are lower quality on iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonHD, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JasonHD macrumors regular

Anyone else have this issue? The custom ringtones sound really low quality, all the apple ringtones sound fine. If restore as new and used different tones but they all sound like low bit rate tracks. Wasn't like this on iPhone 4.

2. thaghost macrumors 6502

Not me. Actually the opposite. MIne sound much better.

3. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

I think you are on to something. I am somewhat of an audio buff and I can hear a definite difference between the quality of my custom tones on the 4 and 4S. On the 4S they sound like they are overdriven/clipped and a bit distorted. I can't see how the file itself would change so I have no idea how this can happen, but I hear it too. My original files are pristine.

4. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

Yes same. I have an mp3 as my ring tone, I created it myself and it is top quality. However, it sounds muffled when set as ring tone. Of I play the same track on the music app it sounds perfect. Just when it is set as ringtone it sounds terrible, tinny and muffled. Hmmmm. How to fix this?

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

mp3? I thought ringtones had to be .m4r...an AAC format.

6. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

Yea sorry I mean .m4r converted from mp3.

7. Gilb2406 macrumors newbie

Ringont Quality

I totally agree with this. I noticed a different quality of audio straight away after getting my iPhone 4S. At first I thought it was a faulty speaker, but then realised that if I play the file with the Music app, it sounds perfect, play it through Sounds or set it as a ringtone, it sounds awful! Really tinny and stripped of all bass!
    Looks like Apple have applied some really bad equalizer settings to ringtones in the hope to make them sound better through the iPhone speakers, but it really has destroyed all of my custom ringtones! Really wish they'd make this a switchable option! I'd go back to iOS 4 to get rid of this if I could! :(

8. ukSamo macrumors newbie

Poor quality ringtones

Same problem here, though I've tried the ring tones on my Wife's iPhone 4 and they exhibit the same problem, could this be an iOS5 bug, have you tried them on the iPhone 4 with iOS5? The interesting thing I've found is that if you select them as text tones they play just fine, it's only as ring tones that they sound awful!

9. adamjones83 macrumors newbie

10. Ktdhc macrumors member

Yeah this is really bad.

Anyone know if it sounds normal if you actually buy the music from iTunes store, and make a custom ringtone from that?

11. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

12. mechaBORED macrumors member

mechaBORED

Same problem here. I thought it was just me. I hope they come out with a fix to this soon.

13. Cersche macrumors newbie

Was thankful that I'm not the only one with this issue. Hopefully it's addressed with an update!

14. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

You're right, they appear to be making them louder as a ringtone. and presumably they're toning down the bass to make them less likely to distort.

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Apple.com/feedback

They can't fix what they don't know, and my 4 plays my customer text tone LOUD.

17. Artey, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Artey macrumors member

I'd like to know if this happens when you make ringtones from music purchased on iTunes too. Because if there's no problem doing it that way then I doubt Apple will fix this, because converting to AAC and changing file extension to .m4r has always come as a big surprise to me. Such an easy way to circumvent their restriction, I think they intentionally want to screw over people like that with bad quality ringtones.

EDIT: Using a default tone like Marimba also sounds distorted in the same way when used as a ringtone compared to it being used as an SMS tone. So it's definitely a bug then.

18. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

19. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

^^^^
    this

Got my 4S today and I immediately noticed this as compared to my 3Gs. Livable but bothersome.

Mike

20. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

My friend thought I was crazy when I said straight after getting my 4S that the ringtones sound weird glad it's not just me.

21. rudysky macrumors newbie

I've encounter this same problem. The sound quality of the ringtones that came with my iPhone 4S are just fine. However, I used the Ringtone Maker app to create my own customize ringtones. When I played them in iTunes the sound quality was great. However, when I installed them on my iPhone 4S the quality was very poor. I can barely hear the ringtones!:mad:

Hopefully this can be fix, unless someone finds an alternative solution for customize ringtones.

22. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

I'll try to look into the API responsible for ringtones and see the changes. This probably has to do something with saving memory and or battery.

23. JasonHD thread starter macrumors regular

It's a terrible bug that should be fixed by now. My £10 Samsung phone sounds better. Seriously.

24. Bettz1 macrumors regular

I've just found this thread spent this afternoon making some custom ringtones for them to sound loud and distorted on my Iphone 4s Not happy any update?

I've just sent them a message on there feedback page

25. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

uhhg having this problem too. i never used custom ones on my 4 to compare to but they sound awful on the 4s. i tried multiple programs thinking maybe they were changing the quality when saving.

after no luck making them i started looking at the ringtones in the itunes store which sounded GREAT when previewing (playing through the iphone speakers) but after downloading sound like crap when playing through the sounds settings. would like my money back please :rolleyes: