Customizable toolbar can't be selected

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CalBoy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well the title pretty much says it all. Whenever I try to change the toolbar, I can't select it. The text is greyed and even clicking on the toolbar with right or left click does nothing (other than open the app that I click on, like battery or clock). I have a mbp 2.2 sr. I did a software update right away, so it should be the latest version of Tiger.

I also don't understand the keyboard shortcuts. In the :apple: menu prefrences, it says things like expose and dashboard are F10, F11, etc. I have to press function for expose to work, but dashboard works with a simple tap to F12.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I think you mean the "Menu Bar". If so, it's not directly configurable, except to rearrange or remove. The "tools" are placed there optionally by their respective applications or System Preference Pane (except for Spotlight). For instance, open Sound Pref. Pane. At the bottom there is "Show volume in menu bar" check box. If they are able to do so, you can rearrange them by cmd-click dragging or remove by cmd-click dragging off the menu bar.

On a MB/MBP, quite a few of the Function keys are dual function (as you've found). If want the default to be Function, instead of [for instance] Keyboard Illumination, go to the Keyboard & Mouse Preference, click on Keyboard. There is an option "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features". If you check this, the default will be a Function Key, and you will have to hold the "fn" key to access hardware features (like brightness, keyboard illuminations, etc.)

3. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

You're right, I did mean menu bar, thanks for letting me know. But if that's the menu bar, what is Finder's toolbar, and why can't I customize it (ie, the option is visible, but unselectable)?

Thanks for the info about the keys. I assume this means that I can reassign expose as much as I want.:)

New question: for login id pictures, is there a way to make the pictures bigger?

Thanks for all the help!