Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
The "cut" command doesn't ever seem to be available in the Finder. (In the Edit menu it's always gray.) Why is that? Making the command available would make it easier to move objects, and besides, why does it exist as a menu item if it's never available?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
there are a couple threads on this already :)

The consensus appears to be that it's a shame Mac OSX lacks cut-paste for files.

For those keeping score at home:
Windows: 1
OSX: 9,000,000,000

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not going into the whole cut'n'paste vs drag'n'drop debate again... browse around and you'll find that the latter is the Mac way, and you should try that (along with Exposé) instead of trying to do everything the Windows way, it will make your switching experience much better. :)

As for why it exists - well, e.g. for cutting (and later pasting) file names and sorts:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 118

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
ungar said:
why does it exist as a menu item if it's never available?
I can't answer the first question, but for this last question, it's because you can use it to cut text when editing the names of things in Finder.

Edit: Mitthrawnuruodo is teh posting speed demonz.

ungar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Paris
Thanks for you quick replies. I don't prefer the ways of Windows in general, but in this case I would like to have a choice between drag-and-drop and cut- and-paste, if only because it would make it easier to move objects using a single window. (The spring load feature is great, but it doesn't always work for moving.) Anyway, it's no big deal.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
You should try out two Finder windows for organising and moving files. You may like it. It has become my favourite way of doing it since I switched to OS X. That and using the desktop as a temporary storage space.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
gekko513 said:
You should try out two Finder windows for organising and moving files. You may like it. It has become my favourite way of doing it since I switched to OS X. That and using the desktop as a temporary storage space.
Well, that's what I do as well, but I still don't like it. I guess this one of the few instances Windows is better implemented.

If Apple believes cut'n paste of files is dangerous or non-intuitive, fine, but at least give the user the option through preferences or something. I hate it when Windows forces the user to use its prescribed ways of doing things without providing much flexibility, so when Mac OSX does the same thing, it is fair to chastise Apple for it as well.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
theBB said:
Well, that's what I do as well, but I still don't like it. I guess this one of the few instances Windows is better implemented.

If Apple believes cut'n paste of files is dangerous or non-intuitive, fine, but at least give the user the option through preferences or something. I hate it when Windows forces the user to use its prescribed ways of doing things without providing much flexibility, so when Mac OSX does the same thing, it is fair to chastise Apple for it as well.

I agree i mean how hard is it to implement, it should be that you had to make a automater script or 2 windows because it is just less effective

mrjohncory

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2004
A frosty case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, Jolt or . . . Sprite

. . . to the first one who hacks Finder to enable this. Is that even possible?

I was using an app that does a bunch of stuff Finder should do but I think there was not even the cut and paste a file option there.

There's no reason we should settle for dragging and dropping everything we do!

Speed is your mission, God be with you. :eek:

THANKS

mrjohncory

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2004
uhhhh . . .

A few simple preliminary steps in automator, and your prayers are answered

OK, a few preliminary steps in automator and you can "move something directly to another folder" rather than cut it and paste it to another folder . . . and I like that, that we're understanding the matter of "moving, displacing rather than trashing" . . . but this automation requires 4 seconds to load and not only a horizontal-drop-click but the dread CONTROL RIGHT CLICK to bring up a LIMITED menu that I must click into YET AGAIN to get ANOTHER menu.

I know, I know, the tiniest violin. :D

Why do I feel like I'm complaining to the Amish that their buggies don't get the FM dial? Just admit your false idol OS has some SAD limitations! The argument that "some inexperienced users may not know how to properly wield the deadly sword of CUT AND PASTE" is so lame. Donald Rumsfeld could come up with better than that.

Dragging and dropping into THE GRAVE. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.