Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
When is this finally going to be implemented into Mac OS? Dragging and dropping files while having to hold CMD is ridiculous. In every environment cmd+x and cmd+v means to cut and paste or MOVE something(s) except the Finder. This has been asked COUNTLESS times and if it wasn't for System Integrity Protection screwing over developers like TotalFinder and XtraFinder, it wouldn't be an issue.

Has Apple fixed this in Sierra? And if not, WHY not?

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Maybe I don't understand - but it seems like the Copy and Paste commands will do this and it works in Sierra?

IE - use command instead of CTL - :apple: copy and then :apple: Paste ?

Last edited:

silentj

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
When is this finally going to be implemented into Mac OS? Dragging and dropping files while having to hold CMD is ridiculous. In every environment ctrl+x and ctrl+v means to cut and paste or MOVE something(s) except the Finder. This has been asked COUNTLESS times and if it wasn't for System Integrity Protection screwing over developers like TotalFinder and XtraFinder, it wouldn't be an issue.

cmd+c then cmd+alt+v will move a file in Finder

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
In every environment ctrl+x and ctrl+v means to cut and paste or MOVE something(s) except the Finder.

ctrl+x and ctrl+v (nor ctrl+c) don't do anything on a Mac. Copy always copies to clipboard, paste can either be copy or move.

Command+C = Copy
Command+V (or for trackpad or mouse Right Click -> Paste Item) = Paste (copy)
Alt-Command+V (or for trackpad or mouse ALT+Right Click -> Move Item Here)= Move

It really isn't difficult and the argument "Windows does that it way" is not a compelling one.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
ctrl+x and ctrl+v (nor ctrl+c) don't do anything on a Mac. Copy always copies to clipboard, paste can either be copy or move.

Command+C = Copy
Command+V (or for trackpad or mouse Right Click -> Paste Item) = Paste (copy)
Alt-Command+V (or for trackpad or mouse ALT+Right Click -> Move Item Here)= Move

It really isn't difficult and the argument "Windows does that it way" is not a compelling one.

I got my commands wrong, but you know what I mean. And yes, Windows does it better so why can't Apple do things right as well? Who cares if its windows?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
why can't Apple do things right as well?

It's not "right" by any objective measure. It's just what you learned first. If you'd used a Mac first for years then came across Windows you'd ask why Windows does it "wrong". It's extremely unlikely to change (though Apple did eventually add a "Sort Folders to the Top" option to pacify ex-Windows users) and really not difficult to get used to.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I got my commands wrong, but you know what I mean. And yes, Windows does it better so why can't Apple do things right as well? Who cares if its windows?

Most people in this forum do care

Sorry - don't get "Windows does it better so why can't Apple do things right as well? Who cares if its windows?"

Not true

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
It's not "right" by any objective measure. It's just what you learned first. If you'd used a Mac first for years then came across Windows you'd ask why Windows does it "wrong". It's extremely unlikely to change (though Apple did eventually add a "Sort Folders to the Top" option to pacify ex-Windows users) and really not difficult to get used to.

Mac-Folders.png

That exists in Mac OS Sierra? How???

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
When is this finally going to be implemented into Mac OS? Dragging and dropping files while having to hold CMD is ridiculous. In every environment cmd+x and cmd+v means to cut and paste or MOVE something(s) except the Finder. This has been asked COUNTLESS times and if it wasn't for System Integrity Protection screwing over developers like TotalFinder and XtraFinder, it wouldn't be an issue.

Yes. It works in Sierra. CMND-C a file in the finder... and then CMND-V to paste a copy or CMND-OPT-V to move it to a new location.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Nice! Now if ONLY they could add one more option for cmd+x and cmd+v to move files.

Definitely* ain't happening in Sierra but it sounds like one of the Finder replacements might fit the bill for you.

*For most values of definitely ;)

r laliberte

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2017

To be able to drag files through the screen to drop into a folder:
highlight files to be moved
click on one file and hold with one finger
start to drag files to folder
if you need to scroll through the screen to get to folder, continue to hold single finger down while using two fingers on other hand to scroll through the screen the same way you would use two fingers on your track pad to scroll through a web page.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't know the alt+cmd+v would move the file. Thanks a lot, that is gonna be a time saver for me. :oops::)

Pro tip #1: the menu bar shows you the shortcuts. When you press a modifier key – command, option/alt, control, shift – then the menus will accordingly change.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 19.52.02.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 19.52.47.png

Pro tip #2: If you don’t like the shortcuts, then you can make your own. You can do that in System Preferences → Keyboard → Shortcuts → App Shortcuts.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
OP: actually, other environments including Windows are the ones doing it differently. Be aware Mac (or, Apple Lisa in 1983) did it first and everyone else copied it and did their own versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarracksSi

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

I would think Apple still likes to use the excuse "Well, if its on clipboard and u have a power cut, or the clipboard get overwritten with something else in the process then u've just lost important file.. ", so i guess it the user manually hold the key down they "know" what they just did"

to back that up, Apple *does* allow copy and pasting of text.. so they must see "an important document your working on" is not THAT important you wouldn't mind loosing on clipboard.

Reactions: bladerunner2000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.