Cut / Paste Function to Move Files in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by bladerunner2000, Aug 9, 2016.

1. bladerunner2000, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

When is this finally going to be implemented into Mac OS? Dragging and dropping files while having to hold CMD is ridiculous. In every environment cmd+x and cmd+v means to cut and paste or MOVE something(s) except the Finder. This has been asked COUNTLESS times and if it wasn't for System Integrity Protection screwing over developers like TotalFinder and XtraFinder, it wouldn't be an issue.

Has Apple fixed this in Sierra? And if not, WHY not?

2. mikzn, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Maybe I don't understand - but it seems like the Copy and Paste commands will do this and it works in Sierra?

IE - use command instead of CTL - :apple: copy and then :apple: Paste ?

3. silentj macrumors newbie

cmd+c then cmd+alt+v will move a file in Finder

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I've used right-click then copy, right-click then paste to move files in El Capitan and Sierra.

5. Feenician Suspended

Feenician

ctrl+x and ctrl+v (nor ctrl+c) don't do anything on a Mac. Copy always copies to clipboard, paste can either be copy or move.

Command+C = Copy
    Command+V (or for trackpad or mouse Right Click -> Paste Item) = Paste (copy)
    Alt-Command+V (or for trackpad or mouse ALT+Right Click -> Move Item Here)= Move

It really isn't difficult and the argument "Windows does that it way" is not a compelling one.

6. bladerunner2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

I got my commands wrong, but you know what I mean. And yes, Windows does it better so why can't Apple do things right as well? Who cares if its windows?

7. Feenician Suspended

Feenician

It's not "right" by any objective measure. It's just what you learned first. If you'd used a Mac first for years then came across Windows you'd ask why Windows does it "wrong". It's extremely unlikely to change (though Apple did eventually add a "Sort Folders to the Top" option to pacify ex-Windows users) and really not difficult to get used to.

8. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Most people in this forum do care

Sorry - don't get "Windows does it better so why can't Apple do things right as well? Who cares if its windows?"

Not true

9. bladerunner2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

[​IMG]

That exists in Mac OS Sierra? How???

10. Feenician Suspended

Feenician

Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 2.23.52 PM.png

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Any reason you don't want to turn off SIP? TotalFinder is getting an update for Sierra BTW but still needs the SIP off.

12. bladerunner2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

I tried TotalFinder in El Capitan with SIP turned off and it wouldn't work.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hmm... It's been working fine here. They've updated it a few times. http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/changes

14. bladerunner2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Well if that's the case, I might give it another go on another test machine and see what happens. It was last year when I tried it (currently on Yosemite for that reason).

15. CopyChief macrumors regular

Yes. It works in Sierra. CMND-C a file in the finder... and then CMND-V to paste a copy or CMND-OPT-V to move it to a new location.

16. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

17. bladerunner2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Nice! Now if ONLY they could add one more option for cmd+x and cmd+v to move files.

18. Feenician Suspended

Feenician

Definitely* ain't happening in Sierra but it sounds like one of the Finder replacements might fit the bill for you.

*For most values of definitely ;)

19. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

As a alternative you might check out Yoink in the Mac App Store. When you drag a item, a shelf will slide out on the side of the monitor. You drop the items on the shelf, navigate to the destination then drag item to new location. Fast and simple to use.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yoink/id457622435?mt=12

20. r laliberte macrumors newbie

r laliberte

To be able to drag files through the screen to drop into a folder:
    highlight files to be moved
    click on one file and hold with one finger
    start to drag files to folder
    if you need to scroll through the screen to get to folder, continue to hold single finger down while using two fingers on other hand to scroll through the screen the same way you would use two fingers on your track pad to scroll through a web page.

21. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't know the alt+cmd+v would move the file. Thanks a lot, that is gonna be a time saver for me. :oops::)

22. KALLT macrumors 601

Pro tip #1: the menu bar shows you the shortcuts. When you press a modifier key – command, option/alt, control, shift – then the menus will accordingly change.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 19.52.02.png Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 19.52.47.png

Pro tip #2: If you don’t like the shortcuts, then you can make your own. You can do that in System Preferences → Keyboard → Shortcuts → App Shortcuts.

23. stooovie, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

stooovie macrumors 6502a

OP: actually, other environments including Windows are the ones doing it differently. Be aware Mac (or, Apple Lisa in 1983) did it first and everyone else copied it and did their own versions.

24. Tech198 macrumors G4

I would think Apple still likes to use the excuse "Well, if its on clipboard and u have a power cut, or the clipboard get overwritten with something else in the process then u've just lost important file.. ", so i guess it the user manually hold the key down they "know" what they just did"

to back that up, Apple *does* allow copy and pasting of text.. so they must see "an important document your working on" is not THAT important you wouldn't mind loosing on clipboard.

25. bladerunner2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

I gave it another go recently, turned SIP off and still had problems with cut/paste function of files in Finder... by that I mean, it didn't work but most other functions did. That's the only reason why I'm sticking to Yosemite, because of cut/paste.