Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
hbo-now-icon.png

HBO Now (July 2017)

Game_of_Thrones_title_card.jpg

I already had an HBO Now account ($14.95 per month) from previous years of watching Game of Thrones via Apple TV and the HBO Now App (subscription). A two month subscription covers 10 episodes by waiting for the third episode to air, to subscribe. This year I went to iTunes and could find the Game of Thrones Page, and the HBO Now Page but there was no place to subscribe! Maybe I've forgotten what I did before. Anyway...

I ended up installing HBO Now on my ipad and set up an account there- user name, email, passoword. I believe I could have instead set this up directly on Apple TV. It seemed to know my iTunes account and I assume accepted the payment from Apple, because no credit card was asked for. From the time you sign up, the subscription auto renews each month until you cancel.

I'll cancel this account in a month. To do that, manage this subscription by launching iTunes. I do this on my Mac. In the iTunes top menu selection: Account> View My Account. Scroll down to Settings and See Subscriptions: (1) Manage. Click on manage. This is where you cancel the subscription. If you sign up on day one, pay, and then cancel it, it will go for 30 days. A message will show you how long your subscription is good for as you cancel.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
TENCHISTV FTW...............<<<<<<<<< Roku only.
sling tv added virtual recorder for $5 btw.

Pluto TV is not a bad streaming channel. It's free and has a fair amount of content. They have recently added free on demand movies although I'm still waiting on them to add this feature to the Roku Pluto TV channel.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Added this info to the PBS section:
PBS- http://www.cutcabletoday.com/watch-pbs-online/ found on Roku.
* Added 11Aug17- Grantchester Seasons 1&2 are available on Amazon Prime. Season 2&3, maybe 1 are available on Apple TV , the PBS App. I'm not sure if local cable service is required to access PBS content on this app
I don't believe so. I believe, because it's public television, you just have to put your Zip Code in. You're entitled to it as you pay for it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't believe so. I believe, because it's public television, you just have to put your Zip Code in. You're entitled to it as you pay for it.

I'm irritated at PBS because the third season of Grantchester ended in May, but the Local Station did not carry it. Now maybe I could have watched it for free back then on the PBS app, but now on Apple TV there is a message that I must subscribe to PBS passport, a one year subscriotion for $60. I give PBS money during their fund raising drives, but don't subscribe, and have them listed as my charity in Amazon Smile. So for now, I'm watching Season 2 on Amazon prime and will think about Season 3 later. Maybe eventually it will end up on Prime.

I updated post 1 to reflect this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well here's the latest regarding the Flynn household's attempt to cut the cable.

I signed up for Comcast's tv package :eek:

Let me unpack that statement a little more. I currently have comcast for my internet and I'm paying 80 bucks a month. Add in the streaming service (44 dollars) and I'm paying 124, more or less. With comcast I get 220 stations, more importantly I have all the network channels (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX), a full functioning DVR and the UX is much more intuitive.

One thing I noticed with PS Vue, is the inability to randomly jump around to different stations, i.e., I want HGTV, then ESPN, then maybe the Science Channel. I'd have to pull up the guide and swipe numerous times left or right through the alphabetical listing. Not a huge deal, but something my wife hated and I grew tired of it.

Ultimately for about the same amount of money (when you throw in the DVR, fees, and what not), I get more of everything and since my desire to switch to streaming was born out of saving money, I feel I'm getting a better product.

I'm not disappointed because I gave it a lot of time and effort, it did not pan out, but I tried it and that's what's important.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I have Internet & cable service through Comcast. $203/month.

My usage habits: stream Apple Music across Sonos; rent/watch an occasional movie from Apple or Netflix; watch Fox News and CNN; watch an Iowa / Minnesota football and D1 wrestling; and watch an occasional pro or college football game. That’s it.

Dropped cable entirely but kept internet. $95/month.
Subscribed to Hulu Live TV on my Apple TV. $39/month.
Savings: ~$50/month

My viewing habits are completely unchanged and I’m totally wireless.

Reactions: Huntn

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
So I'm seriously considering cutting my cable after my contract is up next month. I have FIOS for everything now and would just stay with them for internet. Does anyone else have FIOS internet only and how much are they paying? The website advertises 50/50mps for around $40 a month but I have a feeling that's only for new subscribers. On my bill it says $60 for 50/50 but I get a $20 discount because I have cable tv bundled in there too.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Do you have access to another ISP? You could sign up with the other ISP, cancel FiOS, and if you like your rate and service with the new company, stay with them. If you like FiOS better, than switch back to FiOS after 30 days, and you would be considered a new customer again.

I switch ISPs at least once a years, sometimes as much 3 times a year, and I always get the new customer rate.

I just recently posted a thread giving tips to lowering Cable/Internet bills.

Check it out, I am sure there will be stuff there to help you.

Reactions: willmtaylor

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
That's a possibility. I could switch to Spectrum but to be honest, when I had them before (when they were Time Warner) I had internet issues. I'd have to call to get the modem reset. One time I had to get it replaced. At least with Fios, the internet is very reliable which is my reluctance to drop them. I may try calling them up next month when my contract is up and use Spectrum's offers to try and get them to maybe offer me a better deal by threatening to switch.

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I am paying 55 a month for 75/75 with fios. Thats with a 10.00 discount. i cancelled cable tv with them in december.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I may try calling them up next month when my contract is up and use Spectrum's offers to try and get them to maybe offer me a better deal by threatening to switch.
I would try this first, you never know, they could give you a good deal if you tell them that you might switch to spectrum.

I had little luck negotiating with Verizon, I just find it is quicker, easier, and cheaper just to cancel and switch to Comcast every once in a while.

Fios, the internet is very reliable which is my reluctance to drop them.
You wouldn't have to drop them forever, just long enough to become a new customer again.

Two tips for switching ISPs:

Never cancel service for your current ISP until your new ISP is up and running.
If you use the method of switching ISPs to always get the best rate, never sign up for plans with contracts.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
denver Century Link
no contract, $10/mo modem rental, ~$60 activation fee, ~60 installation
1gig $85/mo
40meg $55
100meg $65

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I came out ahead by buying my modem.

Definitely, I picked up my Surfboard on an Amazon deal, and it paid for itself in ~4 months (that was 3 years ago, so minus the 4 months modem rental offset, I've saved another ~$11 x 32 = $352 [and I think modem rental actually went up a buck a year or so ago]).

Reactions: jeyf

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, it looks like my wife and I are planning to cut cable and see how that works for us. We have been with At&t for years with Direct TV and before that with Uverse.

We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas and based on the limited research we have done so far it looks like our best option is to get High Speed Internet service from At&t for $40 a month and then go with DirectTVNow, the "Live a Little" package which is $40 a month. So, all in that would put our monthly bill at $80 +taxes/fees a month.

The current thought is that we will pick up a couple of Apple TV's, may spring for HBO for an extra $5 a month, and would need to buy some local HD antenna's to get local stations.

We are already Amazon Prime members, have Netflix, and a family Spotify membership for music.

Anyone have suggestions or ideas about other things we should consider?

Reactions: Huntn

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
So, it looks like my wife and I are planning to cut cable and see how that works for us. We have been with At&t for years with Direct TV and before that with Uverse.

We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas and based on the limited research we have done so far it looks like our best option is to get High Speed Internet service from At&t for $40 a month and then go with DirectTVNow, the "Live a Little" package which is $40 a month. So, all in that would put our monthly bill at $80 +taxes/fees a month.

The current thought is that we will pick up a couple of Apple TV's, may spring for HBO for an extra $5 a month, and would need to buy some local HD antenna's to get local stations.

We are already Amazon Prime members, have Netflix, and a family Spotify membership for music.

That's our setup, too... Netflix, Prime Video, and DirecTV Now. Though we're using Amazon Fire TVs instead of Apple TVs.

Before DirecTV Now came out, we were using PS Vue. That was great actually, and much better DVR than DirecTV Now, but they couldn't make a new deal with Viacom and lost all of those channels. If you don't watch any Viacom channels (Comedy Central, MTV, etc.), then check out Vue.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

How does football work? When I cut my cable, there was no Direct TV in my plan, which honestly I don’t quite consider cutting the Cable. I mean you did, but that (DTV) is another provider, almost like your cable provider, plus at times you may not be thrilled with your reception during certain types of weather.

Anyway, there maybe no issue with football with Direct TV, but when I was relying completely on internet, I used Sling TV (owned by Direct TVr someone like that?) which was supposed to provide access for football, but when you look at it, there are threes source providers for Football, CBS, ABC, and ESPN (I think) and we (cough- my wife) had enough issues with games we were supposed to get, but did not always get, I ended up going back to cable. :(

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
When I cut my cable, there was no Direct TV in my plan, which honestly I don’t quite consider cutting the Cable.
Slightly off topic than your question....

Do you mean you don't consider DirecTV Now cutting the cable? or DirecTV as in the satellite service provider?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Slightly off topic than your question....

Do you mean you don't consider DirecTV Now cutting the cable? or DirecTV as in the satellite service provider?
No, I don’t consider it really cutting the cable, although technically it is, because content is coming from almost an identical kind of provider, just not with a cable.

And although it is related to Dish Network, what really sets Sling TV apart is it is accessed via the net, and is something closer to ala cart pricing, but not quite, which is my main issue with cable pricing, large package deals with 100s of unwatched channels, at least for me forced down my throat. Now my impression could be inaccurate in some regards, so please correct if I am wrong. :)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
No, I don’t consider it really cutting the cable, although technically it is, because content is coming from almost an identical kind of provider, just not with a cable.
So you mean you consider stuff like SlingTV, Hulu, PSVue, DirecTV Now, and YouTube TV as not cord cutting?

"Cutting the cable" never had a clear definition imo, but I think the root of cord-cutting is simply having options other than traditional cable television service. In most cases, those options are cheaper than the traditional cable subscription, but doesn't have to be to be considered "cord-cutting".

For decades, cable/satellite providers were the only source TV for many people. Once reliable alternatives for media starting popping up, the cord-cutter movement started.

I can understand that some might not consider alternative TV providers like DirecTV Now as cord-cutting, but I think just having a choice of where we can get our entertainment from would be cord-cutting.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So you mean you consider stuff like SlingTV, Hulu, PSVue, DirecTV Now, and YouTube TV as not cord cutting?

"Cutting the cable" never had a clear definition imo, but I think the root of cord-cutting is simply having options other than traditional cable television service. In most cases, those options are cheaper than the traditional cable subscription, but doesn't have to be to be considered "cord-cutting".

For decades, cable/satellite providers were the only source TV for many people. Once reliable alternatives for media starting popping up, the cord-cutter movement started.

I can understand that some might not consider alternative TV providers like DirecTV Now as cord-cutting, but I think just having a choice of where we can get our entertainment from would be cord-cutting.

No argument from me, just expressing an opinion. My primary beef with cable companies is forcing packages on their customers. Last time, I checked, Sling TV was as close to ala cart pricing as I’ve seen, and when I started this thread, I included it in a cutting the cable description, but I’ll admit I’m not up to speed with what Direct TV and Dish Network now offer, regarding pricing and packaging, so maybe they apply, and there maybe other ways to mostly avoid or reduce package pricing that I am not aware of.

Several years ago, I looked into Direct TV (as I recall, not Dish Network), and for the first year, prices were substantially lower, than cable, but after that, the prices jumped to a point where they were just slightly lower. And I’ve heard reports from friends about reception issues associated with weather, and beside this particular point, then you maybe stuck with DSL for you internet, which the last time I checked, does not compete with cable speeds.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.