Cyclists in the house?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CMD is me, Jul 11, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Someone told me Macs demographic appeals to cyclists. So who hear rides the non-motorized type?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

don't know about it appealing more. but yes there are a fair number of cyclists here. me inlcuded. :) there is a thread of pictures over in the picture gallery forum with quite a few posts.

4. dantherevelator macrumors regular

I sold my car about a year and half ago. Macbook in a Messenger Bag FTW!

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Cyclists in the house?

Duff-Man says....I prefer to do my cycling outside....oh yeah!

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I have a bicycle myself but I haven't ridden in the past few weeks due to the awful smoke from the fires north of where I live. :(

7. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

8. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Good one. Yeah, indoor trainers are boring as anything.

9. hmmfe macrumors regular

Yeah, another cyclist here. Took some time off recently but getting back into it. I did a nice little 30 mile training ride this AM. Out for another tomorrow.

I know there is a TDF thread already, but here come the mountain stages!

10. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

I never thought or heard something like that!

Every single Mac user in my family rides their bike as their main transportation if weather permits...

Some of them even participate in something called deCycles.

Our town is big on bicycles though.

11. remmy macrumors 6502a

Bicycle, occasionally, main transport is the bus but only because I can't afford the car, not because I would choose not to drive.

To be honest I hate cycling, its dangerous and difficult where I live, and I hate the bus it full of kids playing music and fighting.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mountain biking is where its at. reason why i cant move from co:p well not move easily lol

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I've lived in CO for almost 2 years now, and I haven't taken out my mountain bike once. I've ridden hundreds of miles on my road bike, but not the mountain bike. it is sad, especially since i started riding as a mountain biker, then got converted to road biking when i was living in TX where there are no mountains.

14. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Road cycling and occasional mountain biker here. Its hard to get and do mountain biking in around South East London though. Its fun burning through London traffic on my overbuilt, steel Marin.

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I used to mountain bike a lot while I lived in Austin, but now I'm in Socal with no bike at all. I really need to get back into it.

I'm thinking of buying a used beach cruiser to start with. Heh!

16. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

My family didn't have a car for about 8 years 2 years ago. it was our choice as everything we needed was close by. We did everything on our bikes. Shopping, appointments and the such. The biggest achievement was our bicycle trip across Canada 3 years ago. You can go to the website here. It took us 170 days and was well worth it. Would recommend bicycle touring to anyone. We are actually thinking of going backpacking in Europe next month. A very active family we are!

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When I was in better shape, I can average around 20 mile per hour for an hour or so, (have done faster sustained if I draft someone fast) and peak to 30 MPH for maybe half a minute on a hybrid bicycle.

Washington DC area is turning me into a lazy slob... I need to get on the bicycle more.

18. Azmordean macrumors 6502

Yeah, I consider myself a cyclist. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm just getting going with it. I do it for recreation/sport/exercise though, not for transportation.. I find biking pretty uncomfortable if I am not in appropriate attire, and I need a shower after any kind of exercise. Toss in the fact there's no safe route to bike to work really, and yeah :).

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I went for a bike ride last night for the first time in 2 years. Felt slightly guilty about it, but at least it took me no longer than it did back then, so I'm in just as good (or bad) shape as I was back then. :D

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's hard to make time for cycling nowadays. I still manage to keep time even when out of shape as well. :eek:

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

WOW! That is so cool. I actually read your CGOAB Journal last year. It was very inspiring.

On Topic.

I have a road and a mt bike. I actually haven't ridden the road bike for a month or so now but am on my mt bike almost daily. I've put one inch tires on it as well as panniers and I go everywhere around town on it. It's gotten to the point where I feel guilty if I drive in town.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to be fair, Denver isnt really that close to mountain bike. I know in Fort Collins, I can literally ride my bike a mile or two from my house and be in the foothills and on the trails

anyways, i want a road bike as well as a mountain bike is cumbersome for road biking lol

23. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

24. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Come to Europe! Cycling across Northern europe is very easy and nice. Cycling on the roads of Italy and Spain however, is rather dicey. Cycling is a good way of seeing London though. Highly recommend it. PM me if you want tot k now a bit more.

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Cycling is my main form of transport…
    Only drawback is that UK trains are still (ever?) not very bike friendly.

Combined with online ordering for bulky items I have no need for a car.

If I need to take the cats to the vet I'll just grab a cab. :p

Great cycling networks and it also helpfs that it is mostly nice and flaaaaaat.

Understatement that… Especially Italy.