Cydia acquires Rock.app

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by edlo83, Sep 10, 2010.

1. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And the whole post from Modmyi below:

It's been a year and a half since Rock Your Phone first made live their Rock.app store for 3rd party iPhone apps. Over the past few months, the folks who own both stores (Jay Freeman and Mario Ciabarra) have been working through a huge deal, which has come to public fruition tonight - Cydia is acquiring Rock. Well, technically, SaurikIT, LLC is acquiring Rock Your Phone, Inc (let's use correct business names here).

Details of the acquisition have not been made public, but here's what it means to you: Rock.app will essentially dwindle away. There will be a transitional period for the next 10 days where users can purchase/download apps and licenses in Rock. After that, users will use their Cydia Store login to retrieve their purchased apps. The large majority of themes/apps from Rock will be moved over to Cydia (most are already there right now). Rock will have a notice on it's first page, and APT updates will discontinue in the near future (so Rock would be useless even if you had it). I chatted with Mario Ciabarra (CEO and founder of Rock Your Phone) and he had this to say about the acquisition:

Quote:
    It's been a fun ride. We set out to change the landscape and I think we were very successful. I think we contributed to attracting more business professionals to the iPhone jailbreak community, and added some great functionality to the platform. The current transaction with Cydia is a great opportunity for us. We're going to miss some of the excitement, but no reason for anyone to worry. I, personally, will be spending even more time in Intelliborn apps development (both existing and exciting new projects). A few months ago, Jay and I sat down together and we realized, I enjoyed making apps more (and was better at it), while Jay enjoys providing platform functionality. It was a win-win for both groups and we're excited about the transition.

Ciabarra, aka psuskeels, has been making jailbreak apps since very early on in the scene (Intelliscreen came out in May of 2008) - just a couple months after Cydia's February 2008 release. And while Intelliborn will still be a big player in the iPhone 3rd party apps scene, Rock will not. All the Intelliborn apps, like MyWi, Tlert, MyProfiles, My3G, Intelliscreen, etc will all remain available and development will be continued on them. They will all be available solely in Cydia now. In fact, this move means a total of over 21,000 iPhone extensions, apps, and themes are now in Cydia which are not available in the Apple AppStore.

There's been a fierce undercurrent in many communities this past 18 months of "loyalty" to one of the two major jailbreak AppStores, with conversations in high gear lauding one or the other, bringing up this point or that point, etc. Many had both installed, and everyone had a preference. One thing can be said - it was a good run. You can't argue that Cydia wasn't a more technically thorough solution, but the user experience of Rock.app was preferred by many. And the numbers are impressive - check these out from the Rock Your Phone news post about the acquisition:

Number of Developers with apps listed in the Rock Store: 124 (from 19 countries)
    Unique iOS devices that installed Rock: 4.6 million (from 220 countries/territories) - Wow that is a lot of places!
    Registered Rock Users: 2+ million
    Number of App licenses sold: 500,000
    Users of who took the plunge and bought something: 280,000 (from 185 countries)
    Users who said screw it and installed a hacked version instead: 38 billion (please send us $1)
    Total Rock Your Phone Store revenue (March 12th, 2009 - September 2010): $3.3+ million
    Number of Rock Employees (we are using the word employee loosely here but, hey, it is our company): 9

After jailbreaking was officially declared legal in late July, there's been an even larger focus on the jailbreak community, or 3rd party iPhone developers. This acquisition makes Cydia and Cydia Store the clear leader in iPhone 3rd party package management. Exciting times ahead...

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

wow thats pretty big news. im glad there will only be cydia. however Im going to have to juggle my mywi license AGAIN. I juggled it the first time rock acquired whoever was selling it the first time. however saurik you HAVE to do something about the loading. the way cydia just cuts you off from searching to "reload data" makes me bananas. I like rocks interface more but was always a little scared of it cause of all the horror stories.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Interesting. Wonder what changes are in store for Cydia? I never installed Rock thanks to the horror stories, but it seems that those who liked it really liked the experience with the Rock "store". Cydia could definitely use some improvement from that perspective.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We could see a complete overhaul of the cydia interface maybe.
    Im more excited about Mywi and a few other Rock only apps ported over finally to Cydia.
    And according to Saurik Rocks backup feature is comming to cydia.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by J Sweeney
    Will Cydia have features that Rock had such as backups, really fast loading and a better UI?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saurik
    Rock's backup feature will be coming to Cydia. Rock only had faster loading because it did not honor APT correctly, so there were numerous buggy situations where you got screwed: there was even a recent time when Rock was screwing up an installation so core that everyone had to restore... Rock's speed was just because it was sloppy.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

7. edlo83 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I wondered why it loaded faster.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Where's MikePA.
    He's not going to be happy about this:D

9. The General macrumors 601

It wasn't. Icy was pretty good. It was an apt front-end, just like Cydia.

10. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

11. mphayvanh macrumors member

12. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

Nice, hopefully we'll see great things out of this deal.

13. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Interesting
    Looking forward to the cydia overhaul.

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I'm here. I'm overjoyed. It'll be entertaining to see what all the Rock haters will do with their venom now.:D I can't wait to see what happens when the blessed St. Saurik still charges $20 for MyWi.:eek::p

15. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Although Rock has never caused any issues on any of my phones, I like the idea of a single platform for paid apps and licenses.

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If Cydia wouldn't look buggy and be slow, this would be good news.
    Saurik should rather invest in refining the software.

17. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Rock made 3.3 million dollars. I wonder how much Cydia has made since it's been around longer?

Neither party needs help funding anything at this point. They are doing just fine financially.

This is both good and bad. I hate to see choice go away. But I was never fond of rock's sloppy code as Saurik put it.

18. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Well I transferred MyWi and My3G licenses over to Cydia (new look to Cydia this morning).
    Going to try and delete Rock App. Wish me luck.

Edit: Seemed to go fine. Both apps remained affter deleting Rock App and both show in packages in Cydia. Both apps open fine, it required a reboot to use MyWi.
    Edit 2: Went thru the file system of iPhone 4. Except for 1 file (which I removed) Rock is completely un-installed.:)

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

FYI the Developer sets the price of there APP not the store! that is the case with

Apple
    Cydia
    and was with Rock

I believe all 3 take 30% of the app price for I could be wrong on that
    A developer either greatly benefits from a high price or nobody buys it...

Sound like you will be left with I remember the good old Rock days!

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Price is not set by the distributor, but by the developer, intelliborn is still the developer, they will of course charge same price, maybe we get lucky and they do some introduction sale :D

This is great! Great news, looking forward to those app to be on cydia :D

21. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

Just bought MyWi to support this. This is great news for the jailbreak community. I wish everyone involved the best.

22. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I noticed the front page of Cydia looked different and it had MyWi plastered in front. I'm just wondering if the MyWi version doesn't need Rock Extensions anymore? Or is it the same app just in a different store?

23. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Post # 19
    Skiping posts gets you everytime

24. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

"Be careful what you ask for..." Some might consider multiple stores a good thing(aka competition.) One company acquiring another to become the one and only choice could also be known as a "monopoly?" With larger companies the FTC might get involved...? Remember what happened when Apple "acquired" LaLa? Apple made a possible competitor for online streaming go away. I actually preferred Rock to Cydia... loading speed, the UI, you could retrieve/ reinstall pass apps(after a restore) from within Rock with one click(unlike Cydia)and the ability to view it in Landscape mode, made Cydia seem quite dated. Hopefully some of the features will be added to Cydia. Speaking of speed I wonder how all of the new traffic(former Rock users) will effect Cydia load times?