Cydia down 1030amMST 4/21 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by claygill, Apr 21, 2011.

1. claygill macrumors newbie

Just finished jailbreaking for 4.3.2. Cydia opens but nothing beyond the home screen works. trying to install an app from search results in the install timing out after a partial download of the app. The manage account button only leads to an empty page.
    I hope it just that Cydia is down not some probe with the jailbreak.

2. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

It's working well for me. Then again, I'm a pretty cool guy so that may have something to do with it. :D Just messin' with you.

Which app/tweak is it that you're trying to install? If Cydia loads and results appear when searching you can usually rule out Cydia being down. It could be that the repo, which stores the package you want, is experiencing really high traffic or is down for a different reason.

3. claygill thread starter macrumors newbie

The home screen opens but nothing else works. Example touching the Themes button leads to a blank screen. Same with everything else.
    Naturally I'm concerned it's a problem with the jailbreak.

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Oh, that's different. I can't say for sure but it does sound more like a problem with the installation of Cydia. I'm not familiar with this problem though. You may want to wait for a better answer from someone who may have seen this before.

If it's a problem with the Cydia install I think you could run Redsn0w again and make sure install Cydia is checked (it should be by default). To prevent doing anything unnecessary I'd wait for some other responses. Sorry that my best answer is to wait, but I don't want to have you waste time doing things that may not help.

5. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I just jailbroke from 4.1 to 4.3.1 yesterday.

Having a somewhat similar issue.

Cydia mostly works (for any of the non pay themes, installs, etc.), but none of my account info is saved....it's a blank page like the OP...which also is showing the apps I've paid for such as iFile, tetherme and a couple others are showing as that I have to purchase them again. The apps are fully functional though.....but they are NOT hacked or cracked copies.

Also, none of my SHSH info that used to show is showing.

I used PKGBackup to restore the jailbroken side.....I wonder if that has anything to do with the issue.

6. claygill thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like my problem, I also used PKGBackup. You may be onto something here. Hopefully someone will come along with a solution.

7. dels macrumors member

Almost the same here except I cannot even get PKGBackup to install. It just times out.

8. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Hmmm....knowing that we both have that in common, it confirms my suspicion on it.

I'll probably start a fresh restore tonight....takes me almost 2.5 hours start to finish though as I've got a lot of music on my iP4.....

I've also noticed that my memory has reduced a good 25% on average, and was thinking of doing it anyway.

9. pigglett macrumors newbie

Hello

Went to update Pkgbackup and get "host unreachable" error for last 6 hours .... other updates are fine in cydia :(

10. claygill thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I guess we're on to something here. Your idea of doing a fresh restore is a good one. I'm going to restore the phone as a new phone then apply the jailbreak.
    And yes I'll save it till later, like you I have a good bit of music so it takes awhile.
    Thanks for the ideas!

11. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I was going to try to do the normal routine for syncing with iTunes first, then install the PWNage'd 4.3.1 file I created yesterday. Then as a restore for the iTunes part....but re-install all the Cydia apps one by one (i.e. without PKGBackup so that they don't carry over the plist files from earlier software versions). Cydia apps and my theme isn't all that hard in my setup. Just a little over a handful of apps from Cydia (mostly paid apps besides SBSettings and Winterboard).

But the Apple part of the restore (instead of setup as new iPhone) is a real PITA for me to redo every Safari login, re-setup a lot of the apps contents, etc. etc., as a lot of those apps don't have a backup method outside of the iTunes restore process. I'm talking about apps like shopping list apps, browser apps (like Perfect Browser), to do list apps, and others that are a stand alone app that don't have some sort of outside sync or backup built in.

Will report back......

12. IamFaustus macrumors member

I am also running into the same issues mentioned above. I previously had 4.3.1 with the redsn0w jailbreak. I purchase pkgbackup last night and updated to 4.3.2 followed it with the redsn0w rc14 jailbreak this morning. I get the same blank screens in cydia. I can't download pkgbackup, it keep getting server connection errors. I also can't download tetherme but was able to get sbs settings to work. Glad this isn't just me.

13. jt999 macrumors regular

I would hold off on restoring.

I have been jailbroken for awhile...with no problems accessing Cydia.
    Today I am unable to access my Cydia Account on my iPhone (4.2.1) or my iPad (4.3.1).

I'm sure it is a Cydia problem.

Jeff

14. iphone-user68 macrumors newbie

I think this is related to the EC2 outage. See Saurik's tweet. I hope it is anyway. Just upgraded to 4.3.2 this morning and re-jailbroke. Now I can't get any of my paid packages.

15. colossus71 macrumors newbie

Cydia server out at Amazon

Saurik's server hosted by Amazon has taken a techno dump. This is the cause of the Cydia account/paid app issues. Follow his tweets for updates...

~C~

16. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I went ahead and did an iTunes restore (not as new) again to 4.3.1. Then, I installed all my Cydia apps (openssh, winterboard, aquoah theme, sbsettings, backgrounder, switchermod) via Cydia (and not via a restore from PKGBackup).

Much more running memory for me now than when I used PKGBackup from 4.1 to go to 4.3.1....

Why??? :p It's almost a race by many here just to post those tweets and such over here! :cool: Anyways....yes, all my paid Cydia apps are in the same boat as everyone else. Blank screen on my account, and can't install any of them. No worries....I'll hang til y'all say Cydia's back up and golden.

Thanks!

17. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Well, wish I'd read this thread before upgrading. Stuck trying to get Pkgback load so I can finish my restore. Crap.

18. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Oh the irony, I just started a restore of 4.3.2 and decided to read this thread while I waited.

Glad to hear there will be much more waiting ahead for me tonight, hopefully the EC2 issue gets cleared up soon.

19. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Can't believe how dependent I'd become on all the wonderful tweaks.

20. need2speed94 macrumors newbie

same issue

i've had similar problems, im sure Saurik is workin on it. usually when cydia is down or having issues, its only a matter of a day or two until its back up to 100%

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I really hate that I'm not able to download my paid apps at the moment... Kinda sad that pirates can probably use the applications just fine, but us paid users are stuck (unless we resort to pirating apps we already paid for... which is tempting)

22. TC25 macrumors 68020

It's already been a day and Saurik isn't even giving updates anymore. Perhaps he should hire professionals to run Cydia.

23. jacobp macrumors member

24. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Cydia is being affected by the Amazon server outages.

25. m3coolpix, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I guess Amazon's AWS service is run by monkeys then.....thousands of website's are hosted with them by this service, many that are quite common household names and publicly traded.

It's only Saurik's payment system that isn't working...while that's a profit center for him, it's by no means a hack job.....;):D

Monitor this Amazon's AWS Service Health Dashboard , and I'm betting Cydia will be somewhat intermittent to 'back to normal' once all the status lights are green.....it may take it some time to completely settle, as surely everyone will be hitting Cydia once it starts working again.

The whole issue has made news in all sorts of places....as it puts a new perspective on cloud computing and what is may not be what it was cracked up to be (at least not in the current form).