Cydia/ultrasn0w troubles once again

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by psywzrd, May 16, 2011.

1. psywzrd, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

psywzrd macrumors 68030

I have ultrasn0w installed strictly to fix the one signal strength bar issue on my ip4 (on AT&T with 4.3.3 & 1.59.00 bb) and I had to reboot my phone after making a change to help with choppy animations. Now my signal strength is at one bar again and I need to uninstall and then reinstall ultrasn0w again (I swear this program is way more trouble than it's worth:mad:). Anyway, when I try to uninstall it I'm getting an error message that says "Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)".

Any idea what this error message means and how I can get around it? Thank you.

2. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Found a fix for this in case anyone is intereted:

Solution:
    1- Get your way to the file and directory structure of your iPhone (through SSH or iFile or Mobile Terminal ...)
    2- Look for the /var/lib/dpkg/ directory
    3- You should be able to find the following files: available, availble-old, status, status-old
    4- Rename "available" to "available-bak"
    5- Rename "status" to "status-bak"
    6- Rename "available-old" to "available"
    7- Rename "status-old" to "status"
    8- Start Cydia , make sure that you allow Cydia to load completely first (just to be on the safe side ), try to install some apps.

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well that was short-lived. The error is back again now. Can anyone help me with this?

4. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? I tried the same fix and it worked temporarily but I'm getting the same error message again now. I really need some help please.

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I realize I'm having a conversation with myself here but I have new information to add that I think may be relevant. I really think ultrasn0w may be part of the problem here and this is why. I did the procedure from my 2nd post above again and got Cydia working. There was an app that needed updating (Snappy) so I went to update it and somehow ultrasn0w got involved (keep in mind that ultrasn0w was already installed and working at this point). Once Cydia finished doing its update I uninstalled and reinstalled ultrasn0w and when I rebooted my phone after that, Cydia wasn't working again. Why would ultrasn0w need to be updated when all I was trying to do was update Snappy? It's not like ultrasn0w was in the queue or anything and like I said, it was already completely installed and working. Now I'm back at square one with Cydia not working properly. Please help!!!

Attached Files:

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

If you're on AT&T why bother preserving yr baseband? Resale uplift of let's say 50$ isn't worth it or are you planning on moving off Ma Bell?

7. psywzrd, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, I like to preserve my bb for resale value but also in the event that I need to use a different carrier while traveling. This doesn't appear to be a widespread issue though so I don't think the problem is necessarily with ultrasn0w itself but more the install of the program maybe.

8. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm bumping this because I really need some help here. I've fixed this problem several times now but it keeps coming back and it's not just because of ultrasn0w either (I removed ultrasn0w altogether and removed the repo as well). I don't know if I need to do a complete reinstall of Cydia or if there's a way to just rebuild the Cydia databases or something but I don't know what to do at this point. It seems like every time I try to update an app or something this error comes back and it's the same error every time.

Please help!!!

9. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue but yours may be more complicated with ultrasnow involved. I was trying to install Action menu plus and for some reason it didn't install properly. Afterwards, it remained in my cydia queue for anything else I would try to install, related or not. I tried a number of things to fix the issue. What worked for me was opening iFile and selecting 'show hidden files' in the settings before searching for "actionmenu" and then deleting everything that came up. Good chance that this isn't the safest way to do it but I didn't really care at that point. Then ActionMenu stopped showing up in the queue and I was able to install it properly.

You may have similar results if you do the same thing with snappy. Good luck.

10. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I actually don't think it's related to ultrasn0w or Snappy at this point. I just think I have some corruption somewhere and I feel like I need to get a fresh install of Cydia somehow. The only thing is that I don't really want to have to re-jb if I can avoid it.

11. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Come on guys - someone has to be able to help me with this. I just updated Mywi and once again ultrasn0w got involved and my Cydia got all screwed up. I can always fix this temporarily by doing the "fix" in my 2nd post but I want to take care of this problem once and for all.

12. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Whenever I encounter a critical bug that I can't remedy on my iPhone, Macs, or PCs (or the unit just tends to get too unstable, slow, etc) , I tend to take the opportunity to "clean out the cobwebs" and do a wipe & re-install of the OS on the hardware.

That said, why not bring your iPhone back to a clean 4.3.3 state, and re-jailbreak? And btw, to ensure you won't get a buggy platform again, I recommend folks DON'T reinstall from a back-up of their JB apps. Yeah, it takes 1-2 hours to reninstall all your stuff, but it will run smooth as butter.

13. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid - that's a lot of extra work for me that I really don't want to go through again.

Can I just run the latest redsn0w right over the top of my jb and select the
    "Install Cydia" option? Will that just reinstall Cydia for me and "re-jb" my phone? Any reason I can't do that?

14. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

I was having this issue myself and did everything possible to fix it. I finally gave in and upgraded my baseband. This trouble is not worth the extra $50 or 100 dollars I can make by having a preserved baseband. Check the prices on Ebay. There are too many options for people available now days to unlock so yours is not unique enough to make much more money.

15. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't think ultrasn0w is the problem though. And I'm not just preserving my bb for resale value either - I like to preserve it just in case I need the unlock while traveling or whatever. Like I said, this happened with Snappy too so it can't be related to my bb or ultrasn0w - it's got to be a Cydia issue. If running redsn0w over the top of my jb will give me a clean install of Cydia that might fix the problem.

16. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Bumping this thread for help. I just had to remove and reinstall ultrasn0w again and had the same problem. I can't be the only who has encountered this, can I?

17. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

Is it worth preserving the baseband now that one can buy a legit unlocked iPhone 4? I still have my baseband on 1.59, but I'm still running 4.2.1. I was just going to upgrade my baseband during my next phone update do avoid these headaches.

18. Gamefex macrumors newbie

Are people with 4.3.3 1.59.00bb combo having those mms/vmm issues? There is not that much info about this around. It seems that with 4.3.2 the problems still occured.

19. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

It's worth it if you want to be able to unlock, yes. Why should I have to buy an unlocked phone when mine is capable of being unlocked? For me I want to preserve my unlock capabilities but ultrasn0w is so damn buggy it's maddening. Seems like every time I try to update an app in Cydia, ultrasn0w gets reinstalled or something and it's pissing me off. Why does it seem like ultrasn0w is hidden in my queue? And why can't anyone help me with this?!:mad:

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Just sell your 1.59.00 bb on Craigslist and then buy a factory unlocked. :D

21. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

You could have done a fresh reinstall to 4.3.3 and reinstalled all your apps in the time you have made all these posts.

22. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

You're probably right. It's so frustrating because it seems like I'm the only one having this problem and I can't figure out how to fix it. There must be an easy fix for it but I'm hesitant to just re-jb it because I'm scared that I'm going to have the same problem.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you have the same problem, you will be neither worse or better off. Therefore, there is no logical reason not to do a fresh jailbreak.

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

you already know logically a fresh jailbreak is the way to go. using pkgbackup or appbackup a fresh jailbreak can be done in half a hour. So the question is why torture yourself. this is a huge thread for only a couple people having this issue. ;)

25. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

No problems here on multiple phones for multiple years. It must just be you. Time to restore and start over. The end.