D7000 or 60D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by harleymhs, Jan 4, 2011.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey Guys.. Any thoughts on a new purchase ... D7000 or 60D ? I was always a Canon guy.. But now after seeing the D7000 I may have to switch.. Over to the Nikon side.. Love the dual SD card slots.. Not a Pro but wanting a NEW SLR .. Both seem to be about the same price.. Any thoughts?

2. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

If you've got Canon glass, I'd stick with Canon. If you're lens count is zero, I'd go with the Nikon. It's a very feature rich camera.

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Aside from having too high a bank balance, what problem are you hoping to solve by buying a new camera body?

4. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

People shouldn't just switch camps, because they're seeing something new and shiny. Next thing, you'll sell your D7000 (which seems to be a great camera) for Canon's all-new 70D. Much more important than features is handling: try the D7000, how it feels in your hands and whether you like the user interface. This is a lot, lot, lot more important than a second SD card slot or some other feature manufacturers like to print on the box.

5. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

My thoughts exactly, people today think that buying a better camera will get them better pictures, WRONG.

I know Pro's that still shoot with D200's.

Its the man behind the camera not the camera in front of the man.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Buying a better camera can help you take better photos, but only if you understand why your current camera is holding you back. Otherwise you're just spending money for the heck of it. If I were a pro shooting with a D200 as my primary body I would have moved on by now. And I would know why (the sensor mainly, but also raw file options).

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If you want to get into Nikon, I can understand that. You may want to consider the more veteran but-still-being-produced D90, which is a superb machine, and spend that saved $400-500 on an additional Nikon lens or two.

8. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Without knowing what you currently have, especially in terms of lenses, it's hard for people to advise just how wise it would be to switch systems; however, it seems that people share the gut feeling that switching systems for the sake of a much-hyped new body is not the right move.

Of course, if you've hated every second of always being a Canon guy, then by all means, make the switch ASAP.

9. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Guys thanks for all your replies.. I maybe wasnt clear in my original post.. I dont have ANY SLR's at the moment.. I wanted to get a NEW SLR and it was between the D7000 and the 60D.. I dont have any lenses at the moment and would be starting from scratch.. Either the D7000 or the 60D.. I went to BEst Buy tonight and really loved the feel of BOTH SLR's.... Decisions ..... This should be the hardest thing to decide in life..

10. amoda macrumors 6502a

Comparing bodies only I'd take the D7000. Better focusing, built in AF-assist, dual card, better build, lighter, 100% viewfinder are all reasons to get it. The only major reason for the 60D would be tilting LCD.

However, you should look into what lenses you would end up using. Typically Nikon lenses run more expensive than Canon ones, and there isn't as big a selection. For example, the 70-200 F4L non-IS is a typical serious amateur lens which isn't available in Nikonland.

However some argue that they're better build, and they all come with hoods which aside, from L lenses, must be bought separately for Canon lenses.

11. Canuck Gooner macrumors newbie

If you're starting new, the D7000 is amazing. My gf just upgraded or rather bought the D7000 to go with her D80. The upgrade was unreal. I also haven't seen many cameras at the price point that shoot low light photos as well as the D7000. The ISO range is INSANE for a DSLR. Photos shot at 1600 ISO have virtually no noise and even shooting at an ISO 2000 is still certainly doable. So if you're starting with only kit lenses that have rather high aperture minumums around 4-5.6

Once you have some more money and go get some nice low F stop prime lenses you'll be loving your camera.

The extra points of focus are also really handy and the video quality of 1080p makes shooting video with a DSLR totally worth it.

Reviews have also said this camera is the best mid-range DSLR on the market and we'd have to agree.

12. Coronato1 macrumors newbie

How about the Nikon D3100? Anyone think that is a good camera? Of course the D7000 is better but I think from comparing the specs the D3100 would be a great camera for the money.

13. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I am a canon guy, and would go with the 60D. Both cameras a GREAT cameras, but the canon is a canon.

14. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

well..the D7000 seems to be troubled by hot pixels....head over to the dpreview forums to read about this....

I have not looked into 60d...

The other camera you should consider is the Pentax k-5....i think it is amazing camera for the money....But even that seems to be having issues with scratched filters....

If you ask me....I would wait. No harm done cause I am sure with time...the street prices of all the models will come down and the niggling issues with quality would have been resolved.

15. buckawheat macrumors member

I actually have had a number of issues with my D90 as well for hot pixels, sent back once to map out six (yes six) of them, and since getting back I've discovered another.

I am invested into Nikon glass for $1500, otherwise, I would have made the switch to Canon on Boxing Day (like black friday for Canadians).

16. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

17. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

The 60D is misnamed, because it is not the successor to the 50D. The 50D's successor is the 7D, which continues its sensor evolution and similar build. The 60D is more of a beefed-up Rebel, and should have been designated something else to mark the change.

It is set between the T2i and 7D.

18. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Either one of them will allow you to create some very nice photography, and both systems have an extremely capable selections of lenses... so my advice is just to figure out which brand more fits your personality and makes you feel more comfortable and happy... Nikons and Canons are distinctly different in ergonomics, personality (Canons focus and zoom backwards... ;):D ) and overall style. They feel different. They look different. They both take excellent photographs and are popular. For a pro, there might be valid reasons to choose one brand or the other, based on how they intend to use them, but for a new dSLR user, don't get too caught up in that because your photography will more likely be more personal and general in scope, which they both do just fine. Unless you have a compelling reason to choose one over the other based on a specialized lens choice, video options, or some other issue, the things that will make you happy are ergonomics, feel-in-hand, and just feeling like you got your money's worth... I've owned both, and know great pros who use either brand.

And, as stated, unless you think you'll be acquiring a collection of pro lenses and getting super serious, you should also consider the new Pentax K-5 camera, which is getting good reviews. List price on it is higher than the D7000 or 60D, but I'd check actual prices on the street before I ruled it out. Looks like a very capable camera which is better built than either the Canon or Nikon.

19. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Since you mentioned you 'were always a Canon guy', I assumed you had a Canon body and were looking to upgrade. If you're starting from scratch, pick one. Canon's 7D would be a closer competitor to the Nikon D7000 in Canon's product line than the 60D.

20. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Never owned a 60D so I can't comment on that.

Love my D7000. It's the best bang for the buck of any camera I have ever purchased, rivaling even my D3s. The low light performance is stunning, the best autofocus I've ever used, and the metering and sensor really produce nice shots. Very sharp all around.

21. crain300 macrumors member

I just bought the d7000 great camera I love it I had a d90 which I passed along to my daughter who has really gotten in to pics lately

22. mac mac mac macrumors regular

Popular Photography did a review on the D7000 and 60D, and 60D was better than the D7000 in terms of ISO and auto focusing speed in dim light. And 60D will give you more options when it comes to video. You can shoot 30fps or 24fps in 1080p, or 60fps in 720p. The D7000 can only shoot at 24fps in 1080p, not sure about 720p though.

23. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

24. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

Agreed, I would trust DxO sensor rating a lot more ... Here is a DxO sensor comparison between Canon 60D, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5.
    You be the judge of which sensor ranks higher when it comes to high iso or dynamic range ...

25. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I wouldn't put faith in 95 % of the of reviews in photo magazines. And unless you have special needs, both cameras are plenty for most photographers and a choice between the two invariably boils down to a choice between two systems and user interfaces.