Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There is a few HOSTS files that work on the internet, in fact, I am using one right now on my MBP. I have the same one on my iPhone and iPad and it works great.
If someone has done the work for you, then great! I'd say use it. It's in the same spot on a PowerPC Mac as it is an Intel Mac.

Reactions: MacCubed

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Something that works better than an edited hosts file or Adblock is dnsmasq and pixelserve running on the Mac itself. You get the bonus of the system not waiting for an unresponsive web element as you do with the hosts file edit, it's extremely lightweight unlike Adblock, and it has the small perk of DNS caching which is good for slower connections. I run that setup on all my personal Macs and my jailbroken iOS devices. Works extremely well.

Reactions: eyoungren

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
If someone has done the work for you, then great! I'd say use it. It's in the same spot on a PowerPC Mac as it is an Intel Mac.
Ok thanks! I hope it all works too lol! I used the file originally on my iPhone for blocking ads on the entire phone (tweak MinimalHostsBlocker) and have been using that HOSTS file on all my devices

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
All this time, I could have done that with my jailbreak. Too late now being I am on 10.1 beta 2:p

Moving back on topic, I decided to give T4F another go. Many people said T4F 45 was faster than compared to 38. It seems a bit faster, also combined with the uMatrix addon its smooth and usable. I also have Adblock installed as well.

My only wish is MacRumors wasn't so slow, while typing this post, every letter is delayed by a second or two.:(
MacRumors is also really slow for me, especially on my iBook G4 but even on my G5 sometimes.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Kind of surprised nobody has brought up the lack of iCloud sync for calendars and contacts. When Apple killed that off, I found that especially irritating. Fruux was nice, but even now it will only sync calendars on Leopard.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Kind of surprised nobody has brought up the lack of iCloud sync for calendars and contacts. When Apple killed that off, I found that especially irritating. Fruux was nice, but even now it will only sync calendars on Leopard.
What I did was foxbox the different parts of icloud.com. For example, my Calendar program is just a foxbox of http://www.icloud.com/#calendar. Same with Photos, Notes, Reminders, and other things you can access from iCloud.com. And the built-in Mail program works just fine with iCloud mail, of course.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't ever recall being able to directly connect Address Book or iCal to iCloud on a PowerPC Mac. If there was something I missed please let me know because I made a post way back in 2013 about how to work around the lack of direct support for iCloud to connect Address Book and iCal to Google because you couldn't directly connect anything to iCloud.

Only with Snow Leopard, which is not usable on PowerPC, could you connect anything directly to iCloud.

All that said…SOHO Organizer.

Direct linkup to iCloud. Runs on Leopard 10.5.8.

Reactions: bobesch

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Two things.

1. Use BluHell Firewall instead of AdBlock (or AdBlock Plus). Both AdBlock and AdBlock Plus have a memory leak that has not been fixed. BHF does the same thing as those two and you don't have to configure anything. There's only one site I've never seen it work on and that was Facebook.

2. For MacRumors, I would bet you have the Rich Text Editor on. If you can see a small bar in the Quick Reply box that has buttons for "Bold", "Italic", etc then you have the RTF editor on. The problem wih it being on is that it's Javascript that runs in the background constantly. That causes T4Fx to constant process that JS which pegs the CPU and causes the slowness you describe. Turn off the RTF editor. It means learning to apply bolding and italics and other formattin using tags, but that's better than the constant slowdown.

Neither of the two issues above are T4Fx's fault.

Hope that helps!

Got BluHell and it does its job. By any chance do you know if it kills Pop-ups as well? I had Adblock Pop-Up Blocker installed, its disabled right now.

and yeah the RTF Editor was the problem. Using the regular editor now and the text is appears with no delay. thanks for that!

Reactions: eyoungren

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Meh, there's really nothing that I do on the daily that my eMac can't do - it's just that it may be very slow and frustrating to do. I hardly ever check Facebook on it, due to the insane amount of lag when scrolling. Watching 720p videos is (generally) a no-no as well. Some websites just don't work properly anymore. But everything else, it is still good for, no problems.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I don't ever recall being able to directly connect Address Book or iCal to iCloud on a PowerPC Mac. If there was something I missed please let me know because I made a post way back in 2013 about how to work around the lack of direct support for iCloud to connect Address Book and iCal to Google because you couldn't directly connect anything to iCloud.

Only with Snow Leopard, which is not usable on PowerPC, could you connect anything directly to iCloud.

Not specifically iCloud, but more so the killing of .Mac/MobileMe sync.

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
It does what I absolutely need a computer to do just fine. I can browse the web rather well using Leopard-Webkit, I can listen to music through Cog, Spotify, and PianoPPC, I can play (older) games just fine too; so glad for Macintosh Garden. Only problem is that Google Drive, Google Docs, and so on are rather slow on my Powerbook, and I use them all the time; only workaround I have is typing up my document in Microsoft Word, and then just uploading it to Google Drive. Also tried making a Fluid app for Google Drive, but whenever I try to login, it pops up a new window in Safari that asks me to login there, and I do that, and it keeps popping up the same window.

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
It does what I absolutely need a computer to do just fine. I can browse the web rather well using Leopard-Webkit, I can listen to music through Cog, Spotify, and PianoPPC, I can play (older) games just fine too; so glad that Macintosh Garden. Only problem is that Google Drive, Google Docs, and so on are rather slow on my Powerbook, and I use them all the time; only workaround I have is typing up my document in Microsoft Word, and then just uploading it to Google Drive. Also tried making a Fluid app for Google Drive, but whenever I try to login, it pops up a new window in Safari that asks me to login there, and I do that, and it keeps popping up the same window.
Try foxboxing Google Docs and drive. I can actually play 360p YouTube just fine in a foxbox on my 1.33GHz G4, so these should also perform much better.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I see many people here use PPCs for daily things. School, work,etc ...
To PowerBook Users, do you ever have the fans rev up in the middle of class? I've always been worried about drawing attention with the noise haha.
On PowerBookG4 no fans at all with "G4FanControl". Keeps your wrists nice and warm on cold winter days ...
Makes the PB run at a steady-state maximum temperature of 65°C 'cause of the heat from the mSATA-IDE-converter.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've finally had to abandon PPC for internet - Flickr and Google Maps (Street View) were the nails in the coffin on all but my Quad (which has been too uncomfortable to use in the heat this Summer).
Waiting for something to come along at the right price, I grabbed a near unused 20" Core Duo iMac for £70. Running Snow Leopard it's a no hassle web browsing machine but music, graphics, video editing and tinkering are still fully in PPC territory.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

There was a way, I remember, apple even gave you the URLs for external programs.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Really, I don't use my PPC Macs for web browsing anymore. I use it for other work like word processing, letter writing, etc.

The main reason why I don't is that websites are gunking up their sites so badly anymore. It makes it more and more taxing on systems. Until there's a streamlined experience that makes the market for crap sites shatter, it'll only get worse.

Reactions: ITguy2016

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Really, I don't use my PPC Macs for web browsing anymore. I use it for other work like word processing, letter writing, etc.

The main reason why I don't is that websites are gunking up their sites so badly anymore. It makes it more and more taxing on systems. Until there's a streamlined experience that makes the market for crap sites shatter, it'll only get worse.
I've finally had to abandon PPC for internet - Flickr and Google Maps (Street View) were the nails in the coffin on all but my Quad (which has been too uncomfortable to use in the heat this Summer).
Waiting for something to come along at the right price, I grabbed a near unused 20" Core Duo iMac for £70. Running Snow Leopard it's a no hassle web browsing machine but music, graphics, video editing and tinkering are still fully in PPC territory.
Try using mobile websites. Much faster!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Try using mobile websites. Much faster!

I didn't try with Google Maps but I've used a mobile version of Flickr for a while - it is fast but severely limited in presentation and functionality, Flickriver is better but still limited.
As with most sites, it used to work fine on PPC but has slowly become drenched in script and "features" that are functionally pointless.

Reactions: ITguy2016

Greene

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2015
Fort Worth
The two things that come to mind is work with large spreadsheets and use Julia...

Thankfully this is all work related and not play:)

Also going back to Mathematica 5 (the only PPC version I can find though I believe Mathematica 7 was supported) isn't super fun, but can manage

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Something that works better than an edited hosts file or Adblock is dnsmasq and pixelserve running on the Mac itself. You get the bonus of the system not waiting for an unresponsive web element as you do with the hosts file edit, it's extremely lightweight unlike Adblock, and it has the small perk of DNS caching which is good for slower connections. I run that setup on all my personal Macs and my jailbroken iOS devices. Works extremely well.
Thats actually a really great idea, i might try that when I get my G5 going again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.