Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
How do we get rid of this? I think I signed up for Daily Tunes once, investigated it briefly, and never went back -- it's certainly not something I care or know enough about to want to promote, and the Recs on there wouldn't be representative of me since I haven't kept it up. I don't remember ever adding it to my MR ID, and I've been all through the FAQ and control panel and can't find it mentioned anywhere or anyway to get rid of it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This is the first time anyone has asked about removing themselves from DailyTunes, but let's give it a try.

Log into DailyTunes using your MacRumors member name and password (they share the membership database). Click "Your Song List". Set the ranking of all your songs to "Del". Click Update and your list should become empty.

That might (I'm not sure) remove the "Bedawyn's iTunes Recs" link under your name in the MacRumors forums. If not, try logging out of both DailyTunes and MacRumors and back into MacRumors again. If that doesn't work, post here again and we'll look into it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow, you have a lot of song recs for someone who only investigated DailyTunes briefly! :eek:

Hope you find a way to get off it, though, if it bothers you that much. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think you have good taste, Bedawyn, since it's similar to mine! Good rock selections.

I can't fault you for having a country song in your list, since I couldn't resist sneaking [playlistId=1855636&selectedItemId=1855633]9 to 5[/playlistId] into my collection.

I don't even mind [playlistId=870425&selectedItemId=1363849]Minnie the Moocher[/playlistId] (by Cab Calloway), which is on your list. Since the iTunes Music Store doesn't have the version of "Shout" I wanted (the one from Animal House -- see post), it'll do for a repeat-after-me song. :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Wow, you have a lot of song recs for someone who only investigated DailyTunes briefly! :eek:

Hope you find a way to get off it, though, if it bothers you that much. :)
To be fair, it's pretty easy to click on others' songs and add them to your list. So you can get a long list without spending much time at it.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I never really took it seriously, to be honest.

Now that I don't have my PowerBook anymore, I don't have iTunes either. (My iPod is flying solo! :eek: !) Anyhow... Perhaps I'll give it a looksee when I get mhy new PowerBook.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
Huh, I do have more than I remembered. Though not that much really, considering that my iTunes library has 3000+ songs. Given my tendencies to be neurotically thorough about list-making, those rankings probably represent only one evening's worth of fussing. :) It's not that I dislike DailyTunes or anything, I just don't use it -- I need ways to avoid new music, not find more!

Thanks, Doctor Q! My tastes are eclectic to say the least, though iTunes only skims the most mainstream of what I listen to. Of course, now I'm required to go listen to "Minnie the Moocher".

Hmm. I really only minded the notion of wearing a DailyTunes badge with every post I make, or presenting those songs as representative of my personality (rather than as only the most mainstream aspects of my personality, since iTunes doesn't include all the other stuff). I don't think I mind it enough to want to delete the recommendations themselves, for the sake of people who actually do use it, especially now that you all have made me interested again by talking about it. I think I'm physiologically incapable of deleting anything to do with music. I mouse toward "Del" and my hand starts shaking and my heart fluttering, like I'm about to delete a part of my soul. If there's no other way to turn off the link, I suspect I'll learn to live with it. (Though I'd still suggest adding a control panel option to turn off showing the link in posts, for whenever the next site upgrade comes around.)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
It's not really "promoting" DailyTunes (which is related to MacRumors in some way or another - never understood the iPodGear/MacBytes/DailyTunes/MacRumors connection) as much as promoting iTunes - its just a list of songs you like

I used DailyTunes and it got added under my name - I don't care, doesn't hurt me at all...

Just delete all the songs and it should go away...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
dotdotdot said:
never understood the iPodGear/MacBytes/DailyTunes/MacRumors connection
The connection is that they are the sites run by arn. He set them all up to share the same forums and membership.

florencevassy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2004
Princeton, NJ
iTunes Recs

I think that you have good taste also. Also, a lot of songs that I like are not
available on iTunes so the list I am creating is not really 100% representative of my taste......but oh well. Flo

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
arn said:
You can toggle on/off the Dailytunes song recommendations. Also, if you delete them all from your list, they will disappear also (5 minute lag on that).
Cool. Thanks arn. I love you!

I was looking for an option about a month ago to disable music recommendations, trying all the workarounds as listed above. I've decided to go with the minimalist look, so this is cool. :)

Now, just figuring a way I can get rid of the 'macrumors 601' moniker under my screen name and my screen name itself from my posts.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.