Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I've come across three EPIC G4 Mac Mini and I wanted to know is it possible to connect all three(daisy chain?) to work as if it's one machine hooked up to one screen.

I have some cpu upgrades I have to do to them first, but then it should be one EPIC beast of a machine! Oh fickey yeah.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Well I have a dual G5 machine and is still fairly beastly for my needs. But, I want to some something specially with the Mini. Plus, I should be getting the Mini by the very latest tomorrow. I think I also have a Cube hiding somewhere still working and maybe I can add that in for some extra fun.

Diesel-Benz

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
I've come across three EPIC G4 Mac Mini and I wanted to know is it possible to connect all three(daisy chain?) to work as if it's one machine hooked up to one screen.
Its not possible with ANY computer.

I have some cpu upgrades I have to do to them first
Impossible. The CPU is soldered in place.

Xgrid doesn't work except with a few specific applications.

drewthescot

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
Lynnwood,Wa USA
I bought a new Mac Mini.

I have 3 external drives attached to it. Daisy chain.
One for Photos.
One for Music.
One is a 750GB for backup.The backup is not working properly.Any Ideas?
It worked okay on my First Mac Mini.

Drew

TechnoDestructo

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
is it possible to connect all three(daisy chain?) to work as if it's one machine hooked up to one screen.
Its not possible with any computer. The Mini has only one network port. That means, besides being extremely slow to communicate, there would be very high lag times.

I have some cpu upgrades I have to do to them first
Not possible, the CPU is soldered in place.

Xgrid only works with very few specific applications, and then it only works in "job batches" where work is assigned to different computers and the results returned. They don't "work as one".

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Its not possible with any computer. The Mini has only one network port. That means, besides being extremely slow to communicate, there would be very high lag times.

Not possible, the CPU is soldered in place.

Xgrid only works with very few specific applications, and then it only works in "job batches" where work is assigned to different computers and the results returned. They don't "work as one".

g4 mini cpu are older I don't think they are soldered. op is talking about g4 mini's

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

I have some cpu upgrades I have to do to them first, but then it should be one EPIC beast of a machine! Oh fickey yeah.

It's not possible.

Single core G4 Mini's are slow.

Dual G4 Power Mac's are much faster than single core G4 anythings, and your Dual G5 Mac is even faster than that, but regardless, it's impossible to rig multiple machines to pretend/behave as if they are a single machine.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Well two of my minis at a shop in the middle of a de-soldering job to installing a G4 cpu off a Power Mac(shop said I could pending I give them the cpu, which I did). But, if I can't daisy chain them them, I guess one will go in my car, and one in my bathroom and the other next to my rig.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Well two of my minis at a shop in the middle of a de-soldering job to installing a G4 cpu off a Power Mac(shop said I could pending I give them the cpu, which I did). But, if I can't daisy chain them them, I guess one will go in my car, and one in my bathroom and the other next to my rig.

You're going to have 3 DOA mini's when they're done.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
what makes you say that?

Simple neither I, nor probably anybody else, can think what CPUs they'd even be putting in those Minis. The >1.25 G4s were amongst the fastest G4s Apple Ever Shipped. PowerMac G4 CPUs are much too large to go in a Mini with the heatsinks they require anyway. (The Dual 1.42 I have under my desks heatsink is as high as mini all by itself). PowerBook G4 CPUs aren't transferable (At least not the one in my PowerBook G4 1.67). As far as G5s go, forget it, they would never fit in a Mini or Apple Would've shipped a Mini G5, so it has to be a PowerPC G4, but there aren't any PowerMac G4 CPUs that would fit in a Mini and have a hope of working.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I smell trollbait. No way anyone can be this dumb.

Agreed. I also glanced at coldmack's posting history, all his posts I looked at were like this (including rabid anti-intel raving, absurdities about how he hacked a G5 into a PB, etc), guy's a troll, wonder if some mod will catch on and ban 'im....

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Agreed. I also glanced at coldmack's posting history, all his posts I looked at were like this (including rabid anti-intel raving, absurdities about how he hacked a G5 into a PB, etc), guy's a troll, wonder if some mod will catch on and ban 'im....

I doubt it, unless someone goes and hunts one down and alerts them... And I think I need to read the "G5 into a PB" thread *goes to find it* - I need a good laugh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.