Daisychaining dongles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hakonik, Nov 24, 2016.

1. hakonik macrumors newbie

Many of us are now forced to move to USB-C and buy the dongles. But enough wining. Let's keep this thread technical.

Can we daisychain dongles? For example I have the Apples Ethernet-Thunderbolt, VGA-Thunderbolt, DVI-Thunderbolt adapters and I need such legacy connections on the road in future also. But not often, so buying all new separate dongles seems a waste.

Would it work for any of my adapters, if I purchased a Thunderbolt-USBC dongle and daisychained them:
    MacbookUSBC--USBC2TB--TB2VGA--VGAcable---ProjectorVGA.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It should work. I'd try to test it before relying on it for anything important though.

3. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

You could also just buy one USB-C dongle that has DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc ports. Costs maybe about 30 units of money?

4. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

You can combine a dongle and an appropriate adapter but I don't think you can combine dongles, which implies an active device.

5. hakonik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats true. It's not about the money. I'm now just trying to first gather the info of what requirements and options I have, since there are no solutions on the market that meets all requirements. Some connections I need always, some often, some rarely never. Some at office, some on the road, some at home. Some I will need for a long time, some will hopefully be forgotten in a couple of years and so on. I need to build an excel sheet for this mess to have it sorted out.

6. radus macrumors 6502

thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 --> thunderbolt to Gigabit-Ethernet Concatenation is working

7. hakonik thread starter macrumors newbie

And following text is copy pasted from here: http://www.apple.com/shop/question/...thernet-vga-dvi/QAYTX2XHJ2HK4TCUJ?qt=ethernet

According to HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter":
    Thunderbolt: yes
    Ethernet: yes
    Firewire: yes
    DisplayPort: no
    HDMI: no
    VGA: no
    DVI: no
    USB: no

So basically I would just benefit the old ethernet cable, unless I would have need for FireWire or old Thunderbolt devices.
    So USBC-TB2 is of no use in my case.

8. radus macrumors 6502

btw. the Belkin USB-C to Gigabit-Ethernet Adapter bought at the Apple Store did not work !