Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhawk741

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2020
Hi all,

I attempted a delid today and noticed when the IHS was off, I had nicked a few of the “blocks” there. It is on the bottom right of this picture. Are these crucial? Can I simply solder a bead across both contacts?

764601fed28eaa3d678c01d81fccae7b.jpg

superparati

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hello,

In July I did the same things and when though the same issue as you. I did break 2 capacitors.
I bought a new CPU and delidded again and broke only one capacitor.

I used my solder to fix back the capacitor, put back the CPUs on the board, power the MP and it worked.

According to your picture, I can see more than one capacitor off. This is too risky to put it back like that. I would either recommend to not delid, ask someone to do it for you or try again but with the same risk behind.

Also you could consider to buy a small Chinese hot air station from AliExpress. This will do the job very well and help a lot in the process plus other things.

Thanks

Hellhawk741

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Yeah there’s on that is completely off and another that is damaged as well. I have bought a delidder and will go that route after I get a replacement CPU.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Razor blades work perfetly well as long as they are ANGLED 5° UPWARDS whilst cutting. This way, NOTHING gets nicked, cut etc. Common sense.

IHS removal.JPG

( The CPU in the above pic was for PRACTICE )

Enricote

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
Madrid, Spain
If you try again I definetly recommend you to use a vice:

Reactions: KeesMacPro

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Vise method is great. I’ve done it on a few x5690’s. There’s only one correct way to push the lid off. Other three possibilities remove capacitors.

Delidding tool and vise method are essentially the same technique. Simple matter of cost. I already had a vise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.