Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
While running maintenance DiskWarrior found 5 files with damaged resource forks that could not be repaired. These were .psd files which appear to function normally. I don't know anything deep about Photoshop file format nor, for that matter, about Mac file formats in general. I assume the thing to do is open the damaged files in Photoshop and save each as a copy. Or is this even necessary? I had been using them unawares, with no problems.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Resource Forks....are messy. Scroll down to Compatibility problems to see all the fun. :)

As I recall a pre-OS X system, largely replaced. Are these images that old (OS 9 or back)?

The short version is, it is essentially meta data by and for the OS, not the essential data that you the user sees/saves/wants.

Re-saving may resolve it, but you may see this again if you are using a network store or source that does not support resource forks.

The good news is, there should be no risk to your images.

Last edited:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Resaving the files should resolve the issue, though you may need to save to a different filename or folder in order to keep the OS from pairing the newly saved data file with the old antique defective resource fork.

Ps doesn't use the resource fork so it will be unconcerned with any related filesystem issues. Ps files are completely cross platform and since Windows doesn't have resource forks Ps doesn't use them on macOS.

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Resource Forks....are messy. Scroll down to Compatibility problems to see all the fun. :)

As I recall a pre-OS X system, largely replaced. Are these images that old (OS 9 or back)?

The short version is, it is essentially meta data by and for the OS, not the essential data that you the user sees/saves/wants.

Re-saving may resolve it, but you may see this again if you are using a network store or source that does not support resource forks.

The good news is, there should be no risk to your images.

Thanks for reply. Some were old. Good to know there's no worry.
[doublepost=1525802738][/doublepost]
Resaving the files should resolve the issue, though you may need to save to a different filename or folder in order to keep the OS from pairing the newly saved data file with the old antique defective resource fork.

Ps doesn't use the resource fork so it will be unconcerned with any related filesystem issues. Ps files are completely cross platform and since Windows doesn't have resource forks Ps doesn't use them on macOS.

Thanks. Didn't know PS didn't use the resource fork.
[doublepost=1525802803][/doublepost]
Yup. I've come across this a few times in the past and I can confirm that resaving the files fixed it for me. Give it a whirl!

Thanks. Saving fixed for me, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.