Damaged Shuffle 1G. Need help

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Labi, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Labi macrumors regular

I searched the forum as well as the net but couldn't find any help. I have a shuffle which needs replacement of the film that connects the USB connector with the rest of the guts. My kid managed to open it and tear the film. Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Wow, can you replace that? After all, it is not a product designed to be opened like the regular iPod's are. It's glued shut isn't it? Good luck with that.

3. Labi thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so. And I know it's glued shut and not designed not to be opened but my 3 yr old son was'nt aware of that fact :(

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. That film requires some soldering skills and some luck, as it is actually the cabling that goes between the USB port and the main board of the Shuffle. Just beat the kid already and buy a new one. :p

6. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

no real hopes of repair, but if you're feeling lucky you could try taping the very tiny connections back together and see if it works. Pretty much the only thing you can personally do to fix it, unfortunately. :(

A good lesson can be learned from this. Make sure to take advantage. Make it known that not only opening electronics is bad, but other peoples' electronics to your son. Hopefully, if all goes well, it won't happen again.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Cheapest and easiest repair for shuffles is getting a new one from Apple refurb store :eek:

8. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

9. Zel macrumors regular

That is a very specialized ribbon cable, so you wont find them unless you sacrifice another shuffle.

Your best bet is to find another that is dead for other reasons and scavenge the ribbon cable. it doesn't look too hard to replace, assuming you got the thing open, as the ribbon cable just clicks into place. iFixit has instructions and even a sales page (but they are all out of them). The $30 they were asking doesn't seem worthwhile when a new one is $70

you cant solder ribbon cable, and you cant buy any in that shape, because Apple had that one specially fabricated.

You're out of luck, as another poster said, this is just a lesson on "Fragility" for the kid.