Damn Apple (802.11n vs. 802.11g)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azscp, May 15, 2007.

1. azscp macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I just bought and received my Macbook Pro on April 30th. I also bought the new Airport extreme base station featuring the new 802.11n extension. But I think my MBP shipped with the old 802.11g Airport card.

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.0.47

My wireless connections have been pretty slow since I bought the MBP. Is there that much conflict between the 802.11n and 802.11g technology? Could this cause slow internet speeds? And why would apple sell me something that would conflicts like this? These are two different technologies. It only makes their product preform poorly.

I'm upset to read that apple, as of today, is releasing their new systems with 802.11n. My system is just over 2 weeks old.

Steve

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

/Applications/Utilities/Network Utility

In the Info tab click the drop down and pick "Network Interface (en1)". That should be your Airport and it'll tell you what modes you have enabled.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You are not the first to have this happen to them and you certainly wont be the last. :(

FJ

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

But if he bought the airport extreme and has a c2d doesn't he get the upgrade to 'n' for free?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It should be enabled on newer models.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i think he has to pay for the ...n enabler liek 2 bucks or osmething...

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I thought it was free if you buy the airport extreme, maybe i'm wrong.

8. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

You are correct. Somehow Apple didn't get it to him.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh yesssss that's right for some reason i thought he just got the laptop, i completely forgot he got the base station too...

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have the exact same firmware on my MBP and get 802.11n. As mentioned, check in Network Utility and ensure that you've installed the Enabler (it should automatically install as part of the AirPort CD).

11. azscp thread starter macrumors member

Network utilities says...

Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n)

12. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

That is kind of stupid. I wonder why certain chips do that and others are daster.

13. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Just use the enabler on the Airport CD to enable the "N" on the MBP - problem solved.

14. azscp thread starter macrumors member

How do I know if the enabler is installed?

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.0.47

network utility:
    Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n)

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It is installed.

How do we know? Because it says so: (802.11 a/b/g/n)

17. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

I have "N" installed On My MB, But I Dont Use It, I have "g" in my house. :p

18. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

By the way, you're not going to notice a speed difference with internet since most broadband is slower than a "G" wireless router (hell, most broadband is slower than a "B" router). The only place you'll notice it is tranferring large files between computers.

People really aren't thinking about what they're buying nowadays. 802.11g is probably fast enough for everyone unless, like I said you're transferring large files between computers. And it has to be two computers with 802.11n cards.

19. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yeah and I find that the airport extreme is kinky. I'd personally wait for the next rev before I buy one. We bought one for work to help with range, etc, since about 20 computers use it. But the n-extreme router drops connections and there's no noticable speed increase (albeit we only have b+g machines). Anyway, we're probably going to go back to g for now.

20. blade10301 macrumors newbie

ok well its 2008 and i was wondering if i will see anything different between my 2wire505 and a new 802.11n one with the AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87) card or do i need the new card for increased speed? i have a macbook 1gb ram about to up it to 2gb, 60gb hd and 2.0ghz it is from last august early sepember
    also are there problems with AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87) and N?
    and if the new cards are for sale or if i am screwed if i get a N network with AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)

please tell me if you need any more info about my computer or what i am talking about

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

IF your Internet is slow, having N does not make it faster.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If your internet is over 54Mbps, I want to know where you live!

23. blade10301 macrumors newbie

i have high speed dsl, i do not no how to check how many mbps i have though i link would be helpful
    there are 4 macs in my house my laptop, AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87), my brothers AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87) my dads older desktop which is hard wired, and his new imac which is a AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88)
    will it make mine and my brothers net faster? i already no it will make my dads faster, but i'm not sure if AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87) will handle or go faster on the N

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just one thing to remember: Any wireless network is always as fast as the _slowest_ computer on the network. Any G hardware slows it down to G speed, any B or A hardware slows it further down to B or A speed. So you might want to make sure that your dad's "older desktop" has WiFi turned off (if it is connected through Ethernet as you said), or it could slow down your WiFi network.

25. blade10301 macrumors newbie

his older computer doesn't have an airport card, also it is a g4 and probably going to be packed up soon
    but does AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87) get faster with N?