Damn Apple...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eaf7s, Feb 9, 2012.

1. eaf7s macrumors regular

WARNING: a long love letter!

I've always been a pretty militant iPad detractor. A huge Apple fan to be sure, but I never understood why someone with a laptop and an iPhone would see any value whatsoever in a slightly larger version of their phone and a slightly more useless version of their laptop. A bit of a novelty factor, perhaps, but overall I really just saw them as giant money pits.

I live, study, and work in Bristol, England, (and have for three years) but I am originally from Louisville, Kentucky and that is where my boyfriend of forever lives and works (for Apple). Needless to say, I am constantly on the go and as a student working on a dissertation, I'm always lugging around hundreds of pages of articles over which I pore for hours on end with a highlighter in one hand (and typically a bourbon neat in the other). Between binders full of scientific journal articles and my 13" MBP, it goes without saying that my bag gets pretty hefty at times and my shoulder often suffers for it.

Long story short, I was fairly furious when my boyfriend surprised me with an iPad as an early gift for our 6th Valentine's Day together. I am home for the week and kind of broke the bank getting here so the idea of spending god knows what (I really don't know what - it's a 16GB white AT&T version but he had his discount and some old gift cards) seemed like the biggest money pit on the planet. Until I used it for five minutes.

I've got iTunes Match and am all set up in the cloud between my phone and computer. Five minutes of in-store setup over wifi and I almost had the entire device tailored perfectly to my normal specifications. I bought a PDF reader/editor in the store and ported almost a hundred to-be-read articles over just to test the viability of using it for work. I'd always detested the idea of not having paper in hand. I won't miss it for a second. It has honestly revolutionized the way that I work overnight. Sorting and searching the documents is a breeze; highlighting and marking them up is just plain fun. Maybe it's just new-device puppy love but I am actually having fun writing papers that normally make me want to swallow battery acid. Pages and Numbers for the iPad are incredibly easy and intuitive, and I can honestly say that I haven't missed the tactile keyboard for a second. What used to weigh my bag down around ten pounds now weighs barely more than a paperweight.

And that's just the boring stuff. While text and curved edges feel a bit **** when I've grown used to the 4S retina display, the colors and contrast are brilliant. Games and video look fantastic and the battery does not seem worse off for it--I've been watching television on it, playing games, surfing the Internet, and (grr) working on it on and off for 16 hours and it's only at 49%. I can't find enough nice words for it.

As cheesy as it sounds, Steve Jobs was not exaggerating when he dubbed the iPad an entirely new "experience." There is something infinitely more pleasing about browsing websites and working in general on this thing than my MBP. Naturally, its limited functionality keeps it from being a computer replacement, but I am going to seriously consider ditching the laptop and going desktop with the iPad as my only portable device. When coupled with iTunes match and functions such as home sharing, air play, match, and of course the crazy spectrum of apps that do everything from keeping me organized to connected to entertained, it's pretty much the whole package in the perfect size and format (I can't stress enough how pleasing navigating a tablet so perfectly responsive and intuitive as this is) for anyone on the go. I won't even go into how many ways it's a more pleasant experience than the other tablets. Perhaps it's just that--an experience rather than a tablet device.

Consider me a convert. If you're on the fence, take the leap. I can't imagine anyone regretting it. I can't wait for the 3 announcement so I can make the upgrade and [hopefully] get to take advantage of a display and processor more fully living up to the potential. I'm so excited to see where this takes us in the coming years.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I used to be like this about iOS (before I got an iPhone) :eek:

3. iWhizz macrumors newbie

An exact reason why i bought an ipad. Using a 17"mbp in a flight isn't that convenient. Besides, my 4 year old daugter can do whatever she wants with mine, or my wifes's, while i'm sitting with my mbp working. I can hardly imagine i would stand these little fingerprints on the screen of my 17" lol.
    A nice love letter btw :)

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

It's nice to see that you love the device!
    But, I would think twice about getting the iPad 3..... I was starting to wonder what your boyfriend would say, or think, after seeing you with the iPad 3. What are you going to do with the iPad 2 that he gave you? lol.

5. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I couldn't have been less interested in an ipad til I picked one up at Best Buy a week or so after release. I went home for an hour or two and thought about it, then rushed right back and got one and haven't looked back since. It really is a great device.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP: great, I've done similar things with buddies over the years....It's the " I don't like it but I've never tried it" hurdle...A died in the wool PC buddy of mine accompanied me to the studio a few months back and was amazed to see me set up my iPad alongside my MBP.

" What use is that here? " he asked....At the end of that day he had purchased a new ipad2...:)

7. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

Sell it silly! He'd understand completely; he actually said when he gave it to me "If you want the 3 when it comes out, I've got a few friends that would buy this one..."

We're a match made in heaven ;)

Hah, brilliant. Studio for...music? I'm a musician myself and the whole reason I switched to Apple some years ago--Logic just trumps everything I have used in the PC world. What use IS your iPad next to a MBP in your case, if you don't mind me asking?

I have MUCH younger half-sisters and my stepdad picked up an iPad for that reason. Something useful to him that will keep them harmlessly occupied on long car journeys etc.

I can't wait to road-test it this weekend when I head back to the UK. Unfortunately I'll have to have my MBP with me since I brought it here in the first place so I won't get to reap the featherweight benefits just yet. I will, however, get to be "that person" on the plane happily playing around on my iPad while everyone else spends eight hours trying to press the right button on the goddammed in-flight entertainment :D

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

LOL!! Yeah, that happens a lot. Not with everyone, though. One family we know, came to visit my mom last year, and the son fell in love with her iPad and just had to have one of his own. His mom and sister are just satisfied with their iPhones. It's great to hear stories like the OP, and I'm sure many skeptics get converted when they give it a try. It's why iPad is selling so well. At the same time, I've got plenty of holdouts at my office who won't even give it a try. :( I think the key with the OP is she had a need, she just didn't know the iPad was capable of fulfilling those needs. It feels so liberating to be able to leave the house with the iPad and nothing else, which I do all the time!

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

That was a great read. Thanks for posting. Its definitely a device that needs to be really used to be appreciated.

I will be picking up my first iPad when the 3rd one comes out and I cannot wait. My boy will be nearly 2 and I hope its something we can enjoy together and make his eyes light up.

:apple:

10. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I bet he will go crazy about it! Instead of asking for toys, he will start searching for iPads!

----------

Btw, OP, that's very nice of him!

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Another love story, I think. I feel asleep after about half way through!

12. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

He's the best. As I said though he had a bunch of gift cards and his discount so it's not as extravagant as it sounds!

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Really kind of you to tell everyone. :rolleyes:

14. eaf7s thread starter macrumors regular

It's okay, heshe's just jealous that he didn't get e-seduced by Clive Bixby himself.

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

:D A wish everyone should have.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'd been saying for years that if apple ever put out a tablet, I'd buy one. As soon as it came out, I knew I needed it to replace my 2" stack of articles, just like you. I had to wait for the 2 to afford it, but I was in line on launch day (didn't get one til a week later). And even with all that, I still managed to be amazed at how much I use and love it! I started the blog in my sig just because I thought the people in my social networks would get sick of my gushing to them, and nearly a year later I still find things to talk about.

Glad you have seen the light! ;)

17. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Wait till you jailbreak it! ;) THEN see how much more you can do with it...

To those that arent so much in love, try screwing around with android based crap. Stuff that needs to be fixed and optimized by foul mouthed kids on the internet. Its nice to DL an apple app and see it work right from the start. Its also nice to see the ipad 2 work great straight from the box. No need to do xyz (which all void a warranty anyways) just to get the thing to scroll smoother (yet still laggy as heck). Android requires you to devote hours and hours to following "devs" and their threads in order to get the most from your device. Apple does all that FOR us and THEN sells us a product!

Matt

18. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Well dont you sound like a delight... furious at £500 gift.

I think we all know where this relationship is heading... Poor guy

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Sometimes there are more important things to spend money on. I was going to buy my wife an iPhone 4s but i knew she would be Angry so didn't bother.

Like the OP my iPad 3 purchase will be mostly made up of gift vouchers etc.

20. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

To the OP, great letter. Loved the way you laid out your thoughts about not wanting one and then enjoying having one. I am waiting for the 3 to come out so the 2's at the refurb store drop in price. I originally wanted a 1 for myself, but my wife ended up with it, so I still do not have one.

21. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The way Apple gear works together is one of the many reasons I converted from an Apple non fan.
    Minor niggles (iChat can't see iMessage, iCloud Pages on Lion is a hack) are small annoyances compared to wrestling with the quagmire Windows experience.

22. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Dude, I'd be furious if my husband bought me an extremely expensive gift without checking that it was something I wanted first. If you're trying to plan a future together, both people should be in on most buying decisions of that scale (unless you're very wealthy). And having spent much of our relationship long distance, I know how it feels to choose between a plane ticket and some other luxury.

I'm glad the OP did decide the iPad is worth it, but just because someone spends a lot of money on something doesn't mean you're obligated to fall all over yourself with appreciation if the gift was expensive but thoughtless. (In this case, it sounds like her boyfriend did correctly figure out that the iPad was a good match for her - if he'd instead spent that money on, say, a musical instrument she had no interest in learning would you still defend him?)

23. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Similar story here. When the iPad came out I just didn't get it. iPod XL and all that. We are so used to computers being a certain way it gets in the way of our imagination. We've been using an iMac + iBook for a long time, when it came time to replace both we realized we mostly just do email and web browsing on the laptop, and an iPad was $500 cheaper than a MacBook, so we went for it. It was honestly just a price thing and we figured if we didn't like it we could take it back after a few weeks. Now that we've used it I can say I'd simply rather have the iPad than a laptop, reguardless of price. You really have to use one to understand.

24. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

..just jumping in on the conversation here but can someone please explain to me why apple doesn't put a USB connection or an SD slot on the iPad???

I've played with the iPad at the Apple store and it seems pretty cool but I can't imagine it replacing a notebook...way too limiting especially with the complete lack of connectivity to storage media.