danger of not having screen protector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macthak, Jan 14, 2009.

1. macthak macrumors newbie

hi all i just got my new case and really don't feel like going through the hassle of putting a screen protector on it again. i was wandering if i really need one. did anyone have trouble with out one.

THANKS

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

The hassle of putting on a screen protector? It took you longer to make this thread then it would to put one on. It doesn't have to be perfect.. any screen protector is better then not having one.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There's no point having a screen protector. Do you have one on your windscreen of your car?

4. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

I use the Power Support anti glare one because I can't stand the fingerprints. I wasn't all that worried about scratches from every-day use. I was worried about scratches from cleaning off the fingerprints with my t-shirt. I also use the PS so I don't get the "water marks" in my OtterBox Defender.

-JB

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

that was a joke right?

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I sure hope so. That was TERRIBLE advice. I had a decent sized scratch within the first month of my iPhone 3G and decided to invest the $15 for two screen covers. The Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set is really nice. No fingerprints (unless your hands are really oily) and no glare! It's great!!:D

David

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would highly recommend using a screen protector, my iPod touch's screen (which I am assuming is the same glass as the iPhone) is covered in a lot of little scratches that a screen protector would have prevented.

8. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I use the DLO anti-glare and I like it. It's a matte protector which loses some of the luster, but I don't get fingerprints and it's easier to slide my finger on the phone. There's no way I would not have a protector on my iPhone or any other glass electronic like my PSP

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If you don't like seeing most of the fingerprints on your touchscreen, then go invest around $11-15 on a screen protector, it's worth it.

10. pisces03x macrumors regular

Best screen protector ever.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I don't know about the DLO, but the Power Support come with two for the $15.:)

David

12. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i never cared for screen protectors until i got the defender and now i dont think i could live without the PS antiglare, the lack of fingerprints is the best.

13. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I finally put a screen protector on mine yesterday (bought my first iPhone in Feb.), but will take some advice from this thread and get a better one. I am very careful with my phone, but did manage to get a small scratch on my screen. I usually don't notice it, but can in some situations. I was afraid that it would detract from the screen quality, but I can't even tell that it has one on.

14. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

yea screen protectors make grease more easier to wipe away with clothing. glass loves grease more for some reason~ good luck! i like BSE btw.

15. pisces03x macrumors regular

:p DLO comes with 5 for the same price.

16. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Nope. Mine's naked. Nary a mark or scratch.

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I was not reacting to not having one on, I was reacting to the comparism of a phone screen to a cars windshield.

18. joekun macrumors regular

My wife and I both have iphones, no screen protectors, no cases. After 6 months of use I don't really see the need to have them.

19. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I don't use any of that.

Honestly, in my opinion (not to flame or anything), but I think people use that stuff (cases, sticky films, silicone whatever, etc.) more to "customize" and "pimp out" their phone than any sort of real protection. My 2 cents. And yes, I have dropped my phone.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I never had one on the original iPhone and I never had one on my 3G either. You don't need one as long as you don't place the phone in your pocket with things that can scratch.

21. Dasutin macrumors newbie

I've also had the first iPhone and the iPhone 3G, and my screen has never scratched when it was in my pocket. I have found that if you get a case for it that dust will scratch your iPhone more than not having it in the case will. Other than that nothing has happen to it.

22. kicko macrumors 65816

the question is... if you can put a screen protector on and not notice it, while it prevents scratching then why would you NOT use one?

I think the "pimp" factor could be true but at the same time if i know i can pop my iphone out of a case and have it look as good as day one... then i am happy. You might want to sell it when the new ones come out, silimar to the 2g-3g upgrades. A better looking phone will get a better value.

23. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I have also found cases to be more harm than good, thats what I don't use one on my 3G. The Agent18 case destroyed the back, apple logo and chrome on my 1st generation.

The screen is pretty scratch resistant, I just bought the Crystal protectors because you can't notice them and it gives me the peace of mind knowing it won't get scratched.

24. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Naked and scratch-less here too. This was only up to about a week ago when I started to pick at the cover and dust got around the edges. When I pulled it off it was like having a completely new phone because the anti-glare dulls the crispness of the screen.

And finger prints...you'll get over it.

25. Jailbird1818 macrumors member

The "pimp factor" is one of the reasons I have a case. I only use the Defender when I'm at work because I don't have a desk job. Other than that, my case choice is purely for cosmetics, not protection. For me the iPhone is a portable electronic device. If it gets a bit scratched, oh well, I'll use my insurance plan if it gets ruined. Those thoughts are what is making me think more and more about ditching a case completly (or just going with a sock of some sort). As far as my screen protector choice, like I posted before, the lack of fingerprints.

-JB