Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Daniel Cooperman to Join Apple as General Counsel

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple announced today that Daniel Cooperman, senior vice president, general counsel and secretary at Oracle Corporation, will join Apple as the company's senior vice president, general counsel and secretary, replacing Donald J. Rosenberg.

Donald Rosenberg had only held the position since November 2006, after Former Apple general counsel Nancy Heinen had left amidst accusations of involvement in the backdating scandal.
"Dan will be an excellent addition to our team and will fit right into Apple's fast paced culture," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Dan is a seasoned professional with extensive experience in securities compliance, intellectual property, litigation and corporate governance."

Article Link

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Exciting... :rolleyes:

I suppose we've had all the interesting news we're going to get until macworld.

Comment

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
He does sound like a good pick.

Bet the fine print in his move from Oracle to Apple is something to behold.

Oh I'm sure his contract is full of good stuff. He is a lawyer right? For a company like Apple, that general counsel position must be a coveted one.

Comment

Fluffymuff

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
On track to be the least viewed thread in the history of MacRumors, if not the internet itself.

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
the question is why did the other guy leave after less than a year?

the real question is when will apple revamp .mac? just more storage doesn't cut it. a web interface for ical would be great but absolutely off topic........:D

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Shouldn't this be a page 2 item.

And seriously, who can realistically offer a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE vote on this?

NEGATIVE = fans of Donald or they wanted the job themselves?

POSITIVE = runs in different circles than me to know if Dan is a real "catch"!

:D

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
the question is why did the other guy leave after less than a year?

I say he was a temp until they had time to interview prospects for a long-term fit. Apple tends to be very loyal to employees and visa-versa. So it makes sense the surprise departure of the former counsel under duress caused Apple to find someone quick pending a permanent find.

The sheer amount of ongoing activities by Apple's General Counsel is staggering and the person in that position has their personal name and signature on high level documents.

There is speculation why the recent departure guy would go to Qualcom. I say Qualcom is steeped in heavy litigation for its life and that job is very exciting and valuable right now. Apple is on high energy cruise right now.

I would think an attorney would want to work somewhere like Microsoft which is under massive attack worldwide legally.

Rocketman

Comment

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007

Oh I doubt it. Are we not holding out for AppleTV goodness? We didn't see a firmware update for that this week (maybe it's EOL'd). :D

Which brings me to a point. Shouldn't the AppleTV get the iTunes Wi-Fi store too?

Comment

quovadis

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
in PA
Such important news for us .... does this mean Leopard will be released earlier than the end of October?

Comment

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. They might move away from (or toward) more DRM.

Do I have any idea what legal tactics they'll be taking in the future? No. But if we start seeing a different approach, we might want to look back at this move as the reason.

Comment

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. They might move away from (or toward) more DRM.

Orrrrrrr.

The previous guy was understood by both parties to be a temp hire. And now they found the permanent replacement.

We have no idea what the understanding was.

You make a big leap there.

Comment

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006

I dunno about that. I could see us easily getting some sort of rental service this fall.

Comment

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Trivial to the average user and this makes front page news?

Anyone know a list of other forums for rumors and news that you might reccamend? Nothing against macrumors, just intersted in more MAC reading material. Thanks! :)

Comment

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Trivial to the average user and this makes front page news?

Anyone know a list of other forums for rumors and news that you might reccamend? Nothing against macrumors, just intersted in more MAC reading material. Thanks! :)

I think Steve might have a hang nail today too! And he spilled his soy latte on his brand new black mock-turtleneck. LOL

And to the other posters, was there supposed to be a firmware update for the :apple:TV this week? I feel like I'm in deep left field again... :D

Comment

quovadis

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
in PA
Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. .

you mean rumor sites such as macrumors.com???

Comment

Doctor Q

Contributor
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The backdating scandal affected scores of tech companies. Is anyone keeping score? I'm wondering how many of those investigations are still in progress, how many were dropped, how many produced actions, resignations, convictions, etc.

At one point, there were over 100 companies being looked at by the SEC (UnitedHealth Group, for example). But almost all the news stories about the scandal are focused on Apple, Steve Jobs, and his crew.

Comment

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
I think Steve might have a hang nail today too! And he spilled his soy latte on his brand new black mock-turtleneck. LOL

Thanks for the valuable info! Hangnails IM not interested in, more MAC news I am! :rolleyes:

I know this wont get you more ground-breaking news, but you DO realize the forums tab in the upper right will take you to a magical world of Mac discussion and information? Right?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.