Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Really? That's your response? Well I haven't stolen from people. I have berated and humiliated people as have been told ok numerous articles. I haven't purposely denied and neglected my child....

I'm also curious to see how great you are.

So what have you achieved?

Steve Jobs achieved some toys, yes, you can criticize of praise Apple products (and NeXT, and Pixar), but you can't deny because his toys, there are tens of thousands of people working for his company, so at the very minimum, there's that.

Last edited by a moderator:

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Aside from the fact that you sound like he ran over your dog, deeply flawed characters are often the most compelling. Be it accurate or highly embellished, the ultimate question is if it is an interesting narrative!

Well said! (And maybe Jobs did run over his dog). I find it very curious people have trouble reconciling the guy "responsible" for the products they love, may not have been so great of a guy.

Reactions: imanidiot

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I don't think it matters what Steve was like as a father or human being. It was his vision that led to the creation of some of the most important breakthrough technologies and products known to mankind. For that, he gets a free pass for everything else. If you love Apple you also love Steve and you shouldn't tolerate others speaking ill of him.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Wow it doesn't take much to bring the haters out these days. Apple must be doing something right to elicit so much rage from people.
And those excessively vocal critics know it, don't they? It is lonely at the top, indeed.

Obviously some of those are Apple- (or in this case Steve-) hating shills, who get a thrill out of trolling these sites to stoke some disarray amongst regular folks who are merely here trying to catch up on mostly tech-related snippets of information that interest them.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
What have you accomplished?
Does it matter what he accomplished in a cpaticalistic sense? I'm sure many dictators have been fantastic at making money for themselves, does that make them good people?

Steve Jobs was fantastic at getting other people making fantastic products that can make a lot of money.

He didn't design anything himself.
He never invented anything himself.

He was though the best person in history at using other people's talents and marketing them to make money.

He was also a very terrible father, doing what I would consider the worst thing a MAN can do an not support your own children. For that reason I don't give a crap how much he made, still an awful person.

Reactions: xbjllb

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
He was a horrible person, a horrible dad and sure as hell wasn't an innovator that people like to state he was. He simply too or stole ideas and made them as basic as possible so everyone could use them. Fassbender looks nothing like him at all

Then everyone is a thief.

We forget we stand on the shoulders of others in everything we do and create.
Software or hardware, apps, products or services; they are all built using the collective works of others.
That's not theft, that's progress.
You have access to the same tools and technology as Steve Jobs had, you could assemble them yourself or gather a team of brilliant people and lead them to assemble them into something collectively beautiful to behold and a pleasure to use.

You didn't.
He did.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Steve Jobs was fantastic at getting other people making fantastic products that can make a lot of money.

He didn't design anything himself.
He never invented anything himself.
Again, getting informed before speaking would be nice, there are many patent that contraddict what you are saying.

He invented stuff (and boy did he patent it!!) you might also say that he did invent even "after his death"...

Of the 484 inventions that bear Jobs’ name, more than 30% were awarded after his death.

EDIT:
Before some smarty pants says inventing and patenting are 2 different things...
Read even one of the patent and you'll soon reat the word INVENTOR!

Last edited:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Aside from the Apple 1, and even that is debatable....did Jobs really, actually invent anything?

The Apple I was Wozniak's invention alone, that is in no dispute at all.

Steve Jobs was awesome when it came to industrial design, but he didn't know a thing about programming or hardware and electronics.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
"It's about his daughter," Scott tells The Daily Beast. "Which is an odd choice because he was a genius designer and visionary."

This guy demonstrates that he has no idea what makes a person a person. This film is a look at what makes Jobs tick. Whether it achieves it or not is something that 99% of us will never actually know and have no qualification to say otherwise. However, 'genius designer and visionary' is something that comes outwards from a person. A biography has to to a look at the person inward. Genius designer and visionary is something he did, not who he was as a person. Best way to explore this? See how he is towards other human beings close to him. Most dramatic story to show that? His relationship with his daughter. I'm glad Boyle is taking the approach that the human touch is more important than what he materially produced as a product (see how 'what he produced?' crosses over a little bit there? That's an important idea to a film centred around his daughter and three product launches). If you're looking for a film showing the gadget you bought, look elsewhere. This is about Steve Jobs the human. We already know all that stuff and, quite frankly, it's not interesting when we're concerned with seeing who he was as a person. I'm looking forward to this. Like most things Apple, don't get caught up in tech specs.

Reactions: linuslh1996

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Reading some of the comments from people who don't like or appreciate Apple products and Steve Jobs makes me wonder if they are on drugs or merely upset that they didn't buy stock in the company when it was first formed.

Reactions: Tycho24

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
It worked very well with Anthony Hopkins in “Nixon“, to give just one popular example.

I never saw that movie. I suppose it's a personal thing. I like to at least have some form of similarity in the actors. Jobs was a good example of that.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
People love to bash on the likes of Steve Jobs, John Lennon, etc. because they were less than perfect human beings in their lives outside of their craft - as if that somehow negates the good they gave the world. People hold them to ungodly standards for some reason. Ironically enough, Jobs has said that Lennon was his favorite Beatle.

I think Lennon said it best in regards to perceived hypocrisy, phoniness, and the such.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Why make the world a better place when you can make a snarky post about how you're better than x celebrity to make yourself feel better?

My argument is that, once past the home computer, Jobs didn't make the world a better place; far worse to be precise.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Reading some of the comments from people who don't like or appreciate Apple products and Steve Jobs makes me wonder if they are on drugs or merely upset that they didn't buy stock in the company when it was first formed.

Always about drugs or money with you guys, isn't it.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
It cracks me up that there are still so many simple minded, obnoxious trolls who perpetuate the meme that "Steve Jobs didn't invent anything."

Even all the brilliant engineers and designers who Jobs "stole" all the credit from, will willingly admit that Jobs was the visionary and vital to the creation of said thing. But then again, these are smart people who have done something with their lives, and recognize what leadership means and how important it is. A bitter troll who thinks he has the whole world figured out, probably wouldn't understand something so nuanced.

Hell, even this movie has a good line about this. Musicians play the instruments, I play the orchestra.

Reactions: ardent73

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
It cracks me up that there are still so many simple minded, obnoxious trolls who perpetuate the meme that "Steve Jobs didn't invent anything."

Even all the brilliant engineers and designers who Jobs "stole" all the credit from, will willingly admit that Jobs was the visionary and vital to the creation of said thing. But then again, these are smart people who have done something with their lives, and recognize what leadership means and how important it is. A bitter troll who thinks he has the whole world figured out, probably wouldn't understand something so nuanced.

Hell, even this movie has a good line about this. Musicians play the instruments, I play the orchestra.

What's amazing is how many presumably intelligent people can't read and toss up straw men the way America goes through military. I gave credit for visualizing the home computer. But then, he did whatever it took to create the best. The end does not justify the means.

Never knocked the computer. Or his vision for IT. Just his ethics and overblown reputation.

Of course, if you're afraid that will cut into your cashflow or happy day for whatever reason, tough.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
I never said he was a scumbag, just another overrated corporate thief who did far more damage to the world, in the long run, than good.

Interesting. Now that you managed to get everyone's attention with your nonsensical ramble ( that was the objective, right ?) , care to share your vision of what would be a perfect alternative IT world if Jobs hadn't soiled it ?
This is your chance to share your vision with the world. We're listening.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Interesting. Now that you managed to get everyone's attention with your nonsensical ramble ( that was the objective, right ?) , care to share your vision of what would be a perfect alternative IT world if Jobs hadn't soiled it ?
This is your chance to share your vision with the world. We're listening.

Sure you are.

But for the hell of it. Not a fan of "wireless" here, way too many brain tumors and waves going through the air that weren't there prior to "mobility". A Mac OS that wasn't dumbed down for iOS would be nice (haven't had one as fast and functional as snow leopard yet and probably won't). More focus on cutting edge development on pro software, video and music applications like pre-iOS. Less focus on iToys and cloud hookups (nothing slows a system down more) and more on home computers. A world where kids don't grow up with a computer in their hand, that never leaves it.

Hey look, I'm pre-millennium Steve Jobs. No wonder I'm alive.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Sure you are.

But for the hell of it. Not a fan of "wireless" here, way too many brain tumors and waves going through the air that weren't there prior to "mobility". A Mac OS that wasn't dumbed down for iOS would be nice (haven't had one as fast and functional as snow leopard yet and probably won't). More focus on cutting edge development on pro software, video and music applications like pre-iOS. Less focus on iToys and cloud hookups (nothing slows a system down more) and more on home computers. A world where kids don't grow up with a computer in their hand, that never leaves it.

Hey look, I'm pre-millennium Steve Jobs. No wonder I'm alive.

so.. If Jobs and Apple never existed, this is how the ( "a much better ") world would be now ?
OK...
Everyone is entitled to their fantasies.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.